Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Duty free

Poster: A snowHead
What’s the story with duty free now we’re not in the EU? Is it worth shopping for hip flask whisky in the airport or are we better off organising before we leave?

Travelling to Salzburg on Saturday.

Cheers
Simon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TopGooner, It might depend on the airport, but the last couple of times I've flown (from Edinburgh) the duty free stuff didn't look any cheaper than the high street and had pretty limited choices. You might be as well buying in advance and stuffing a bottle somewhere safe in your hold luggage. Or just buy in Austria.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buying at Aiport saves luggage weight ... it's only for the hippy so 30 y.o. Macallan surely not required?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bought a bottle of Baileys on my last trip through LGW DF 50% discount blah blah blah then found it cheaper in the local Swiss supermarket to where I was staying.

Go figure rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't agree with @RobMcQ, now that travel to EU is duty free then the airports are markedly cheaper than UK supermarkets. Also aircrafts and boats for the right stuff. Recent purchases have included 8litres of (export strength) Bombay Sapphire for £100. Allowance back into UK is now 4litres of spirit per adult, less going from UK to EU.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hd wrote:
Bought a bottle of Baileys on my last trip through LGW DF 50% discount blah blah blah then found it cheaper in the local Swiss supermarket to where I was staying.

Go figure rolling eyes

Best deals are on your hard liquor staples, not so much the weaker stuff or anything fancy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My experience of duty free at airports is that there are very few bargains to be had, and quite often the prices are a downright ripoff. Case in point: on the way over here (St Anton), I priced some Chanel perfume at DXB. It was twice, yup twice, the price as high street Melbourne.

A casual browse on wine and liquor prices at MEL suggested no better than buying in Melbourne retail or here.

Cigarettes used to be much cheaper duty free. Don’t know if that is still the case because I don’t smoke.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's a question to test your depth of knowledge on the really bad stuff:

Next trip to GVA then back I want to buy half a kilo of Drum tobacco.

Now CH is cheap for cancer inducing stuff in the shops (as it has the lowest duties in Western Europe I understand, though that is nothing to do with all the tobacco companies having headquarters and lobby teams based there) but once the duties are removed am I better to buy in Manchester, take to CH and then bring back a week later, or buy in GVA as I come back?

Which will be cheapest, UK airport duty free or GVA duty free?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hd, aiui Switzerland charges even less duties on spirits than UK duty free does ... cheaper to buy e.g. whisky in CH than SCO ...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ulmerhutte wrote:
My experience of duty free at airports is that there are very few bargains to be had, and quite often the prices are a downright ripoff. Case in point: on the way over here (St Anton), I priced some Chanel perfume at DXB. It was twice, yup twice, the price as high street Melbourne.

A casual browse on wine and liquor prices at MEL suggested no better than buying in Melbourne retail or here.

Cigarettes used to be much cheaper duty free. Don’t know if that is still the case because I don’t smoke.

I can't see that there is any duty on perfume (tariff no 3303 0010 00) so why would it be any cheaper in duty free than anywhere else (maybe a VAT saving, but that will be swamped by high shop rent etc).

The savings in duty free only come on items with a high duty tariff goods, hard liquor, tobacco, etc. The rest is smoke and mirrors, and flogging folks a bit of what they want for their hols.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I can't see that there is any duty on perfume (tariff no 3303 0010 00) so why would it be any cheaper in duty free than anywhere else

I thought that flying back from Dublin last week, as I'd have been in the market for cheap Chanel. But didn't bother even to look - and when you're carrying your stuff onto Ryanair the thought of adding more clutter isn't tempting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can get a few quid off a heavy bottle of spirits, I suppose - but I want paying more than that to carry all that extra weight around planes and trains and miles of walking round airport.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For what little it's worth, Clinique Happy 100ml eau de toilette for men was $60 at YVR, which has worked out at £35 on my Halifax Clarity credit card.

I could have bought the same item upon arrival at LHR immediately before exiting arrivals area for £30.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There was never any saving to be made on scent (pre-EU) plus those pesky shops never have what I want. Soul-destroying places.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It wont be just the duty/VAT saved if any. The DF shops can be big selllers of cetain types of booze and perfume, having good buying power which they may pass onto you. So know what you want and its price on the high street then decide if its a good deal. Offset of course by a bored captive audience just wanting something to do!
snow conditions
@ster, Yes, fair enough, but hopeless if you want anything slightly niche by way of perfume.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Buying at Aiport saves luggage weight ... it's only for the hippy so 30 y.o. Macallan surely not required?

Just because it’s for the hippy doesn’t mean you should lower your standards! Come on. Laughing

I’d be looking for the 21 year old Tobermory or similar
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@ster, Yes, fair enough, but hopeless if you want anything slightly niche by way of perfume.

You shouldnt need to be buying your own perfume. Hints are all that are needed to a willing ear!

jebroni3_16 wrote:
For what little it's worth, Clinique Happy 100ml eau de toilette for men was $60 at YVR, which has worked out at £35 on my Halifax Clarity credit card.

I could have bought the same item upon arrival at LHR immediately before exiting arrivals area for £30.

I would say the exit DF is likely to be better as its their last chance to sell to you, and pricing would need to be good to stop you from just wanting to just get out of the airport. Champagne is usually good at LHR exit.
snow report
No more coming back with the boot stuffed full of wine - another wonderful benefit rolling eyes

With limited opportunities for a booze cruise over the last 2-years I do wonder how many people will only notice this coming summer
ski holidays
@Boris, you can still bring in 36 litres of wine between two of you. That's 4 cases of wine. Enough to keep you going for a bit!
snow report
@pam w, That's a weekend wink
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:

Now CH is cheap for cancer inducing stuff in the shops (as it has the lowest duties in Western Europe I understand, though that is nothing to do with all the tobacco companies having headquarters and lobby teams based there) but once the duties are removed am I better to buy in Manchester, take to CH and then bring back a week later, or buy in GVA as I come back?

One of my vices is smoking cigars, I imagine tobacco to be broadly similar, buying in UK duty free is usually pointless as the discounts are mediocre at best. I’ve found most of the time if you buy in the airport duty free it’s the cheapest way, but the selection can be a bit crap, I usually stock up in Switzerland (non duty free) if I can. Italy also cheap in this regard but Switzerland is the king Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
ster wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:

I would say the exit DF is likely to be better as its their last chance to sell to you, and pricing would need to be good to stop you from just wanting to just get out of the airport. Champagne is usually good at LHR exit.

I'm going to do another comparison next time I fly somewhere, but I can see your logic. In this instance, both items were on stands that were set apart from the main displays and marked up as special offers in both airports. So, presumably, Clinique were doing some sort of offer in both locations / territories.

Either way, it was obviously cheaper than on the high street, just not by as much as it could have been.
snow conditions
@ster,
Quote:

You shouldnt need to be buying your own perfume. Hints are all that are needed to a willing ear!

Shocked
Not my style.
snow conditions
TopGooner wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Just because it’s for the hippy doesn’t mean you should lower your standards! Come on. Laughing

I’d be looking for the 21 year old Tobermory or similar

The French supermarkets are well priced. I bought a bottle of Knockando 18 (fantastic) for only 37 Euros in the summer and bottle of Aberlour 16 (disappointing) for about 40 euros a couple of summers ago. I'm driving down to Valmeinier inn a couple of weeks and whisky shopping in the supermarche is an added bonus. Is duty free available on the tunnel?
latest report
Is it possible to reclaim VAT on goods from the EU now we are no longer a member state ? I remember a long time ago when we were in the EU but Austria was not (this was before 1995), and a friend of mine bought a cuckoo clock and reclaimed the VAT when he got back. Does this work in reverse ?
snow conditions
Quote:

Not my style.

Nor mine. Someone did compliment me on my perfume a few years ago but there was a distinct lack of grabbing a notebook and asking what it was. Laughing It was Chanel. My lovely daughter in law bought it for me, the first time I had it (though she tried valiantly persuade me it was my son's idea....), and since then I've bought my own, when feeling flush.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Not my style.

Nor mine.

Why ever not? You don't have to sleep with the gentleman, you know. A thank you and a kiss on the cheek is quite acceptable. And if it isn't, he's no gentleman! wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine's very difficult to get hold of. My perfume, that is. wink (I've worn the same one since I was 22.)
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Mine's very difficult to get hold of. My perfume, that is. wink (I've worn the same one since I was 22.)

You use Evian skin cream and sometimes L'air Du Temps. But not today.
snow report
@Hurtle, I have no idea what I like anymore. It never seems a priority now. BTY, OH's idea of perfume is:
1. Smells flowery
2. Smells lemony
3. Smells funny
4. That's horrible, go away rolling eyes
snow report
@agw, Very Happy
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

4711, my mum's favourite; ducks and runs Toofy Grin
snow report
@agw, @maggi, @halfhand, Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
There was never any saving to be made on scent (pre-EU) plus those pesky shops never have what I want. Soul-destroying places.

I found majority of general purpose shops (shops that sells all sort of stuff) soul destroying. DF shop isn't any worse. I'd much rather buy stuff online. rolling eyes

The only "shopping" I enjoy as an activity is browsing specialty shops.
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:

Just buy 1kg on the flight over and put it in your case on the way back.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, nor mine. Which means ppl have to work HARD to find good presents for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy