Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute Crystal bargains

Poster: A snowHead
We have generally done package trips - usually Esprit when kids were small , then Crystal with an occasional Inghams.

Simply because they seem to be able to do the hotels we want for less than DIY... (probably as Crystal have their own airline and can group people on cheap coach transfers).

Normally - to get what we want , when we want , we book well in advance and pay full price. Although usually we tie in to some promotion like 241 ski passes to get a little something back.

We had not planned to go away this Feb HT (or indeed any Feb HT as they are frankly such a rip off and I hate queues).
But I was idly browsing Crystals website on a wet afternoon (lots of those at the moment) and for last minute flits , at HT , some of the discounts we frankly unbelievable

There is on on there now - a very nice Half Board hotel Gartenhotel Daxer in Zell am See . Manchester flight this Sat (Feb 19th) . £ 337 per person... a discount of £ 540 pp...
So flight , transfer , half board hotel (with pool and 4.5 rating on tripeadvisor) ...

The same trip on Feb 18 2023 is £ 1396 per person !!

So has anyone risked it - booked the week off work and packed their bags - and booked with a few days to go ??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have done it a few times in the past, usually to squeeze in a second week skiing with our main week booked well in advance. There weren't any problems.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sheffskibod,

I'm not sure what the "risk" is here.

It seems like a hell of a bargain to me! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've done it many moons ago for an Easter trip when kids were at school. Booked on Wed drove to sister's on Saturday then to Gatwick Sun am for flight to Turin. Back to Gatwick the following weekend and stayed at my sister's for rest of weekend as already planned. Larger apartment than usual, brand new, short walk to nearest lift. All worked out fine. I think all in , including passes we paid about £800. In fact it worked out so well we booked again for the following year, and ended up buying an apartment (but in a different village). Did a Manchester trip to Les Arcs too one year. That was a lovely chalet with great food. Kids had their own proper bedroom not a bunk room. A newly wedded couple got that one, but that was what they'd booked. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister, agreed, the risk is booking the time off and then not finding the bargain .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bergmeister wrote:
sheffskibod,

The risk for me I guess is there not being something suitable for my wife who needs to have the balance of a nice hotel in a good location as well as good skiing..
Or indeed anything ... maybe bargains are not always available ?

And then me being in big trouble !!

As @j b said above - maybe book an important week in advance - and have a cheeky second week lined up knowing you are taking a bit of a risk.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like a no brainer to me, shame I've got commitments next week Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes - I done this in January - although not as much of a bargain as you stated!
Booked 1 week before and was very happy with location and hotel.
Although I appreciate January offered a lot more choice than peak weeks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They probably have surplus capacity as uk half term is split over two weeks this year. They may also have had cancellations if peoples teenagers weren’t vaccinated and needed to be for the holiday in question.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would imagine that it is almost impossible for any TO to be completely clear of vacancies for even the busiest weeks of the year.

And in fact as most people would book the busiest weeks well in advance the number of punters up for a last minute deal is probably very small. And with 2 days to go they are going to be pricing accordingly.

If you have very relaxed criteria for a holiday and are prepared fly from most airports to most destinations then the risk is minimal.

This year certainly might not be representative.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As others have said - I don't see it as a risk its just you may have to compromise on the location / accommodation. Also as a general strategy you also need to accept you might not go away as well but here no reason not to go for it.

If it works for you got for it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
In fact it worked out so well we ... ended up buying an apartment

Are you warning @sheffskibod of the biggest risk to his plan?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm currently undecided on my week in March. Had to cancel our original trip to Andorra 5th-12th March but kept the week off work just in case. Now it turns out we can get away somewhere so having a look at options.

Dunno if its just me but there doesn't seem to be a whole load of availability 2 weeks out. I've got a few things I've found I can book now....or should I wait until we get to the week before to see some good deals. We are pretty flexible. Just two adults, happy to travel from anywhere. Just want to go somewhere with good snow! There certainly seems to be a difference across the alps this year!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Fridge03, two weeks out is a little bit early. As the OP details the nearer the off the better! You have to hold your nerve clearly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister wrote:
sheffskibod,

The risk is some other bugg*r books it before you do. snowHead
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, I've done it from Ireland for all of my European trips from Ireland for about the last 18-20 years. As a group we try to keep the first three weeks of January free and watch the forecasts and the deals. Cheapest was €230 for flight, transfer and accom s/c to Serre Chevalier. maybe the best was €345 for the Diva in Tignes H/B. This year was €600pp to St Anton.
snow conditions
We're in bad hofgastein now last minute crystal cheap package. All I can say is do it!
Booked it 2cweeks before £650 each and then the prices went up!
Everyone one we have spoken to seems to have booked 2 weeks ago. Go for it!
snow report
j b wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
In fact it worked out so well we ... ended up buying an apartment

Are you warning @sheffskibod of the biggest risk to his plan?

I had better buy a lottery ticket ! Very Happy
snow report
We were a the Daxer a few years back and really enjoyed it.
Two minute walk to the nearest gondola.
Only issue is it's not that near the town centre, 15 minute walk downhill, there is a bus service though.
snow report
We often do it when its just the two of us, key thing is don't tell anyone else on holiday what you paid as it spoils their holiday.

We were hoping to join some friends in Passo Tonale for the last week in February. Just about to book on Saturday and when I got to the passenger details got the "please call us page" - everything gone. Then yesterday morning three hotels popped up with Manchester flights - we booked, today the three hotels are still there but Gatwick only and ours has leapt from £800 to £1208. Bottom line is see it at the right price book it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy