Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Month in the Alps March 24

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow Snowheads,

I'm new here so hopefully i have posted in the right section!

Myself and a friend are looking to spend a month in the Alps and work remotely out there on some days. We plan to go for the whole of March and are currently looking at Les Arcs 1800 as our base. Would this be a good location in terms of snow and staying there for a month? If not, open to other locations too.

Also what's the best way to get a long term rental for accommodation as the some links on previous posts are now dead! Most sites seem to only cater for a week or so...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome @aaron65. Sounds an exciting plan.

I would have thought Les Arcs a reasonable choice, high altitude skiing if it gets warm, skiing below the treeline if cloudy or low vis. And with the connection to La Plagne a lot of ground to cover; if you poke around old threads you can read how people have contrived to do odd days in La Rosiere or Ste Foy from there as well (needs some planning to get timings right).

For longer lets you might want to contact the local tourist office, the main rental operators do major on the one-week visits.

And if you want to think about other places as well.... there will be lots here with their favourite suggestions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@aaron65, worth checking out places such as Vrbo and Airbnb as well for places. Worth noting the first week of March is still French school holidays, so if you could delay it by a week that may help. Easter is also earlier next year, the last week of March, so that might make it tricky.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/901223816457985427?check_in=2024-03-09&check_out=2024-04-06&source_impression_id=p3_1688471260_Am6fAKF%2BKqE5EdLR&previous_page_section_name=1000&federated_search_id=e7fe1b4f-42c5-4b82-a3d1-f47a5e399368

That place is less than £1200 for 4 weeks 9th March - 6th April
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to throw out an alternative, what about Austria?

Rent in somewhere 'down the valley' like Landeck and you should avoid paying too much in the way of resort tax for accomodation. Then each morning you have a choice of jumping on a bus (every 30min) up the Trissanna valley (See/Kappl/Ischgl/Galtur) or on the train (11/day) to St Anton.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try asking on resort/seasonnaire groups on facebook (eg https://www.facebook.com/groups/670519632962525).
A couple of leads for Tignes:- https://www.tignes-spirit.com/flats/all_apartments
https://www.chaletchardons.com/en/chalets/tignes-hattiers-longstay-room/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow some great information here!, thanks all.

I'll start making some inquiries with the local tourist office, Vrbo and AirBnb.

Austria does sound tempting, I'll do some more digging on staying 'down the valley'!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kenzie wrote:
Try asking on resort/seasonnaire groups on facebook (eg https://www.facebook.com/groups/670519632962525).
A couple of leads for Tignes:- https://www.tignes-spirit.com/flats/all_apartments
https://www.chaletchardons.com/en/chalets/tignes-hattiers-longstay-room/

Thanks for this, will have a look Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@aaron65, on Austria, you can buy season passes covering loads of different areas, there's quite a few around. Worth looking in to a few of the passes, and then working out where a sensible base might be that you could ski a few areas.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would Bourg-StMaurice work? Proper town, funicular access to LesArc and easier to get to LaRosier, StFoy or even Tignes/ValD. If you're planning to have a car there then I'd say that makes it a stronger alternative.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
adithorp wrote:
Would Bourg-StMaurice work? Proper town, funicular access to LesArc and easier to get to LaRosier, StFoy or even Tignes/ValD. If you're planning to have a car there then I'd say that makes it a stronger alternative.

Unfortunately we won't have a car so will be relying on local transport or walking. I will still look into Bourg-StMaurice though to see if we can make it work Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From Bourg-StM you've got the funicular up to Les Arcs and from there the option of swinging over to La Plagne. Not sure what public transport is like to get around Bourg between accommodation and funicular but would assume it's reasonable as I'd guess a lot of workers would stay off the mountain and commute.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
there the option of swinging at La Plagne.

sounds interesting, not my scene but I've heard some of these French holiday hotspots are known for that kind of thing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
aaron65 wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Unfortunately we won't have a car so will be relying on local transport or walking. I will still look into Bourg-StMaurice though to see if we can make it work Very Happy

If you are staying for a month you really need your own transport, buying food in resort will be very exspensive compared to buying in the valley, if you stay in bourg you can use the funicular to get up into the resort and will have much better access to public transport, keep a look out for early bird lift pass offers you could save a lot . as has been said airbnb and vbro are good places to find accomodation we go in early jan for five weeks to st gervais, I know you have said March but early season will be cheaper and far less crowded if you can go then
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@aaron65, Welcome to Snowheads. Austria cost of living "on the Mountain" is about 20% cheaper than the big French resorts and that could be a big saving over a month. Plus 1 for a valley location to reduce cost too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Mjit wrote:
there the option of swinging at La Plagne.

sounds interesting, not my scene but I've heard some of these French holiday hotspots are known for that kind of thing

Well I think the Telemetro in La Plagne has been swinging recently.....

I saw this today on social media. Apparently a tipper truck hit the Plagne Center to Aime2k Telemetro, oops!. Thankfully no real damage done. Lift is running fine today.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy