Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuck at intermediate level and not progressing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Yes, I didn't mean that all kids who ski when they're young will become expert skiers. The kids in the local ski clubs in the French ski resorts (and no doubt elsewhere) are in a highly competitive environment and are pushed hard. Only the best will be knocking on the doors of a national squad, but many of the unsuccessful dropouts will ski better than almost any British holiday skier can hope to do.

Absolutely this. Go to any junior freeride comp in North America and you will see hundreds of 10-14 year olds that are already better than any british holiday skier doing 1-3 weeks a year can ever dream of becoming. Growing up in the mountains, starting young, and then racking up 100s of days by the time they are 18 puts them at a huge advantage over anyone trying to learn as an adult.

Quote:

learning a demanding new physical skill at any age is challenging

True, but I think there is good evidence kids learn faster than adults. Ask any adults how quickly their kids abilities overtook them! I guess increased neuroplasticity of kids brains makes learning faster, perhaps less fear, lower centre of gravity etc.

Quote:

Most kids can swim, few can swim well.

In the triathlon world there is a whole topic of "adult-onset swimmers". The consensus is learning to swim as an adult puts you way back compared to those that learned as a kid, who are then even further back the kids who were on a team and being coached a lot/swimming competitively.

Quote:

Most kids can ski, but almost all are "intermediate" and will never progress

Yes, we are back to the normal distribution curve. Most kids will be average. The question is what percentage of advanced/expert skiers started as kids Vs started as adults. I'd suspect there is a huge imbalance favouring the early starters (as with most sports).

[/quote]
The OP started as a kid and is still an expert beginner
[quote]

Young start on its own is worthless. I started learning many things as a child and am terrible at the vast majority. You have to combine young start with lots of practice time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy