Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do the soles of my feet hurt so much?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

So this problem has usually been an issue while snowboarding and I put it down to a number of things including my snowboarding boots wearing out and general lack of fitness.

This week I've rented skis so I can help my kids learn, but it seems like the same thing is happening again where it hasn't before.

After not too long, the soles of my feet start to really hurt. I'd be happy to admit that lack of fitness could be an issue since I only ski for one week a year, and Covid has left me doing next to no exercise but it only takes one or two runs before the soles of my feet are killing me.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I could do to stop this from being an issue?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is a lack of flexion in the ankle and lower leg chain .
Most people or rather about 100% blame equipment rather than themselves so your ahead of herd if you look at yourself.

They think cause its foot pain..its a boot issue where in reality its a physical issue ie lack of Dorsiflexion .
Chances are they have incorrect bootfit as well but they will believe you dont need to train physically so will end up in the bootfit revolving door of footpain.

You need to not only stretch and increase range of motion thru the ankle and lower leg chain but also increase strenght thru that increased range of motion.

That means increase the strenght in compression and extension which probably isnt the correct terms but you can figure that out.
In snowboarding the ability to dig the rear foot/edge in frontside or backside during dosiflexion of the ankle is a carving thing .

Some people only need to stretch the calfs ie dont need not months of physical work... where others require alot more training including the Anterior Tibialis
Below is a few examples of clips I found .
The Anterior Tibialis is said to be the most untrained muscle in skiing ....its not the whole lower leg training picture but its very important

Others may find more ski specific lower leg/dorsiflexion training clips or maybe S4F has further info pointers on the site?
Cem has also stated previously on this forum how a lack of lower leg flexion/dorsiflexion can cause the foot to contort or twist in the boot .

http://youtube.com/v/CZhPw__uulw

http://youtube.com/v/eFxnmgRTuAM

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 17-02-22 14:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tirol 164, thanks for that great advice.
Last week in 3V I had exactly the same problem on my left foot - strangely enough the same leg I have issues with on the lower calf Eh oh! . Glad you explained it in clear and concise terms, I’ll be working those exercises a lot very soon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Givern your one of the few that relises its likely a physical issue my post is a pointer in the correct direction .
You may need to take it further or as far as need be for yourself physically as its a personal training thing

The only person that constantly mentions this lack of flexion/dorsiflexion footpain issue alot on here is Solutions4feet Cem the bootfitter .
Although Spyderjon from the piste office is well aware and a few others as well who highlighted the anterior tibialis training need ....I think Raceplate could be the one to be credited for that ?

Salesman and Forumites will just upsell you credit card fixes such as footbeds ,boots ,snakeoil etc but never never ever .....sport specific exercise .

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 15-02-22 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that explanation. It sort of makes sense as in the past I used to cycle very regularly (~100 miles a week) and never really suffered with anything like this.

I no longer have the opportunity to cycle to work, have put on some weight and got older, so it's no real suprise that I am the issue.

Suppose all I can do this week is stretch to relieve the situation and get on with those exercise when I get home.

Thanks again for taking the time to get back to me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One further question I do have though is would buying a footbed in resort alleviate the problem in any way? Or would it be a complete waste of money?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I would go and see CEM rather than ever use a random ever again for footbeds, randoms are very high risk .
Pay the money once comes to mind (from about £300 wasted and alot of time effort frustration )

The other option I experimented with were Superfeet footbeds both in summer and winter , Cem could advise on those .
They need fitting/trimming in the correct superfeet letter size not shoe size, heel width, arch height and arch lenght are all part of it so beware your average salesman wont have a clue .Also the volume they take up may be a issue.

You could use the fulham bootfitters or others that are known depending on your location but beware a large majority can be a complete waste of a £100+ .
Some shop kid having done a bootfit day course vs superfeet is a easy decision for myself .

One point with cems footbeds was I noticed that at the 8 week mark of a 11 week trip in my case the increased ROM and strenght in my lower chain seemed to really gel with using his footbeds so I believe in the exercise at a greater level is the big picture in my case.
I am likely a more severe footpain case though and you could be very different .

So in summary (again in my case)without a doubt... footbeds wont make up for a lack of specific training..... both are needed and one can be hard work but some people only need stretching so it is personal .

The footpain you get will let you know all about it but personally I cant emphasize specific training is the most important.

The specific training isnt easy either its not like going for a simple run etc which never ever worked for myself and I did a fair bit.
I wouldnt want to comment on the training other than just start and do specific training far more consistantly than whatever you think is enough .

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 15-02-22 10:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @DaveyBoy76, yup, custom footbeds can help support the arch of your foot and reduce pain underneath. It's also known as the "burning balls", i.e. the balls of your feet feel as if you've been standing on hot coals in your boots. I can't see if you have your own boots but I tried with off-the-shelf Superfeet and although they give enough support in day-to-day use walking around, they won't tend to give enough for skiing.

Also, as @Tirol 164 was saying, you have to look at the whole foot and boot combo together; a custom footbed that's too high can cause other fit and pain problems due to restricted volume. You'll need to go see @CEM or another good fitter and be prepared to spend time and ££££.

If you do decide to get custom footbeds made and use them in rental boots, please don't forget them in the boots at the end of the week as a friend of mine once did... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From a snowboarding perspective, i'd also throw your stance and binding setup into the mix when you're looking at your root cause. If your knees aren't in line over your feet then you will transfer pressure through the balls of your feet on the toe-side. Likewise, either not having the right binding angle and stance width for you could be causing excess pressure points.

If you're using your bindings over the foot and cranking them down too tight then you can crush your foot down too hard. Its not that a footbed won't help, but do be aware of the other variables in your snowboard setup.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy