Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overrated, underrated

Poster: A snowHead
dode wrote:
Overrated: polenta & gnocchi
Underrated: T-bars… what’s not to like about a chat with a stranger

What is not to like about re-fried gnocchi in a well aged comte sauce topped with smoked trout?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Overrated : Fancy New Kit
Underrated : Looking uphill before setting off
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Overrated: raclette
Underrated: rosti

Overrated: France
Underrated: Italy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Overrated: Chamonix
Underrated: Portes du Soleil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hate threads like this because they
Inevitably bring out the usual, uninformed prejudices including, equally inevitably, dismissing all things French.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, You mean things you don't agree with Very Happy

Anyway, it's a bit of fun. Relax. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
Overrated - Ischgl
Underrated - Sonnenkopf

Agree with the latter, Sonnenkopf is a great area to visit, very easy to get to from St Anton or Lech/Zurs if you have a car, but few people seem to make the effort to ski there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Overrated - French Food with wine
Underated - German Food with beer
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
dode wrote:

What is not to like about re-fried gnocchi in a well aged comte sauce topped with smoked trout?
Yum
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MorningGory wrote:
@Hurtle, You mean things you don't agree with Very Happy
No I don't, actually, but the oft-repeated rubbish annoys me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, maybe others don't think it's rubbish?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MorningGory wrote:
obviously not
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
Overrated: France/Italy
Underrated: Switzerland

Clearly the Swiss Tourist Board have you on a marketing retainer. wink France? Maybe, Italy? Nah, the Dolomites are majestic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
dode wrote:

Take the tasteless stoge and muddy river fish out and nothing. Comte is a fine cheese. Razz
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mollerski, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Overrated: Bluebird days (unless you have a guide, low avalanche danger and can find some fresh powder)
Underrated: Snowstorms and whiteouts (mountain all to yourself and great for technique)
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
MorningGory wrote:
obviously not

Overrated: one (wo)man's treasure
Underrated: another man's rubbish
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@abc, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Overrated: Mega Resorts
Underrated: Tiny single chair plus a few drag lift areas
snow conditions
Overrated: The expression bluebird days
Underrated: The expression sunny days
latest report
@LOTA, Laughing
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
under a new name wrote:
dode wrote:

Take the tasteless stoge and muddy river fish out and nothing. Comte is a fine cheese. Razz

I like all those things independently but the combination seems wrong to me!
Fish and cheese are both fantastic but I've never felt they enhance each other.
I'd give it a go though!
ski holidays
Overrated: St. Anton, Revelstoke, Poutine
Underrated: Serfaus, Grand Targhee, Paprika chips
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Clearly the Swiss Tourist Board have you on a marketing retainer. wink France? Maybe, Italy? Nah, the Dolomites are majestic.

Haven’t been to the Dolomites in Winter (but would love to!) so you’re probably right…

Was more a reflection on the stark contrast of Zermatt vs Cervinia, that I didn’t sense a few years back. And how Chamonix feels like it has gone downhill in contrast to its Swiss neighbours.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Was more a reflection on the stark contrast of Zermatt vs Cervinia, that I didn’t sense a few years back. And how Chamonix feels like it has gone downhill in contrast to its Swiss neighbours.

I noticed that since Zermatt started investing in Cervinia infrastructure the differences have reduced. Cervinia still has more 'old style' non-decoupling chairs, true, but they are now only in the more remote parts of the resort. All the lifts that service a return from Cervinia to Zermatt are now modern and swift.

Chamonix I'd agree with you completely though; feels to me as if they are sitting on their laurels as a bastion of skiing and have not invested in updating infrastructure.
latest report
Overrated: wearing a gopro
Underrated: watching you fall down the Swiss Wall wearing a gopro
ski holidays
Overrated: Bubble lifts & gondolas
Underrated: heated 6/8 pack detachable chairs with wind shields
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
I hate threads like this because they
Inevitably bring out the usual, uninformed prejudices including, equally inevitably, dismissing all things French.

Sorry forgot about France wink

Overrated: All things French
Underrated : Everything else

It's good that lot's do like France it keeps them away from the nice places Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Overrated: SCGB
Underrated: Snowheads
latest report
@Bones, I was wondering how long it would take before that came up Twisted Evil
snow report
Overrated: Serfaus - awful place, don't even think about trying it wink
Underrated: Yellow Snow
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Haven’t been to the Dolomites in Winter (but would love to!) so you’re probably right…

The Italian Alps and the Dolies are very different. In the Sud Tirol region they're only Italian by passport. The border was moved after the first world war as wrist slap for the Austro Hungarian empire. I actually like Cervinia, I know that many don't. The wife and I are doing a 3 stop road trip next month, Verbier, Cervinia and Val Gardena. That's quite a schelp. Cool I agree re. Chamonix. Someone is skimming the lift pass money over there. The last time I was there, they still had solid bar Pomas.
snow report
Over rated Obergurgle
Under rated Norway
ski holidays
Overrated: Obergurgl
Underrared: Solden
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

The Italian Alps and the Dolies are very different. In the Sud Tirol region they're only Italian by passport. The border was moved after the first world war as wrist slap for the Austro Hungarian empire. I actually like Cervinia, I know that many don't. The wife and I are doing a 3 stop road trip next month, Verbier, Cervinia and Val Gardena. That's quite a schelp. Cool I agree re. Chamonix. Someone is skimming the lift pass money over there. The last time I was there, they still had solid bar Pomas.

Camped at Seiser Alm a few years back. Beautiful place - did think the name wasn’t very Italian!

Visiting your kids in Verbier? I’ll buy you a beer in the Pub if you can stand the Hooray Henry’s wink
ski holidays
Overrated: Zermatt*
Underrated: Rohrmoos (by Schladming), Puy St Vincent, Hochgurgl, Serfaus, corduroy pistes, sweeping Super G turns, packed backpacks for the Ranulph Fiennes look-at-me but piste skiing.

* stunning Matterhorn and no cars, but very strung out - either long treks to lifts or a long trek to town centre.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 14-02-22 18:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Overrated: Sarenne, AdH
Underrated: La Foret, same ski domain
snow report
denfinella, Toofy Grin - BoardieK, posted my first thoughts Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@BobinCH,

Seiser Alm is also known as Alpe di Suisi in italian. The area is tri lingual just to add to the confusion. The first language is Ladin (Ladino) which is a regional dialect which can also vary from valley to valley. The 2nd and 3rd languages are german and italian. Again this can vary between the valleys. The Val Gardena valley is slightly more germanic/austrian, whereas one valley away in Val di Fassa, italian is more widely spoken.
I remember chatting to an Italian lady from Milan who was holidaying in the area. She said that the italian spoken in the Sud Tirol area was 'terrible'. Razz
snow conditions
Quote:

The Italian Alps and the Dolies are very different. In the Sud Tirol region they're only Italian by passport. The border was moved after the first world war as wrist slap for the Austro Hungarian empire. I actually like Cervinia, I know that many don't. The wife and I are doing a 3 stop road trip next month, Verbier, Cervinia and Val Gardena.

Are you refering to Grödental?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy