Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Phantom piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Odd subject heading, I know.

There's a piste in La Foux that's been closed for the 3 years we've been living out there. It's still on the map and is used by people ducking the barrier but is never groomed and has "ferme" signs at the start of it.

The piste map does get updated each year so it's not just a question of them re-using maps they had printed 5 years ago.

Could the reason be that if it wasn't on the map and was just classed as off-piste that anyone going there would have to be rescued if they got into trouble but that if someone skis on a closed piste it's stiff luck on them if they have an accident?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ben wright, interesting one, and an opposite conjecture to the way they work in Val d'Isere, as expounded to me by an instructor last December. He was allowed to take us anywhere off-psite, but not down closed pistes - so far that matches your theory. However, for a piste to be closed it had to have been open that season at some time, otherwise it was just off-piste. Hence, early season he would watch which pistes opened very carefully, and happily take people down 'closed' pistes that had never been open.

We did go down the Face a couple of times (officially closed), but the crunching underneath my bases on the lower third showed why we really shouldn't have been there rolling eyes !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ben wright, Has that piste been open during the holidy weeks of half term?
There is anecdotal evidence of some resorts 'saving pistes for the holidays'. Certainly in the La Plagne network there are lifts that only open on busy days and one lift near us that is open only from 9 to 12.00 but all day at half term. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Has that piste been open during the holidy weeks of half term?
Nope, it's been closed throughout the season. I've checked it at least once a week every week. There are a couple of areas that do get held back for holidays and weekends but this isn't one of them. The other runs off the same lift are always open.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps try emailing the resort and see what they say?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ben wright, there's one in Serre Chevalier that is never open too. All the times I've skied there, and every time I check the snow reports and lift openings, i'ts always shut, even when every other piste is open.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Perhaps try emailing the resort and see what they say?
- I've asked a couple of the lift workers and they just shrug and say "Well, you know..."

It's not an area that's prone to avalanches either. Sheer laziness in my opinion as it's one of the farthest points from any of the places where the piste bashers are kept. There are plans to build a couple of new apartment blocks near to the lift that serves that part of the domain so maybe that will encourage them to open up that piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Phantom piste? Is it closed for Harold Harbs class?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a black piste in les carroz. Called Felire, it runs from just off the blue combe haut near the gondola along the line of the gondola and joins with the blue lou darbes haut. You can see it from the village if you look up the mountain. I have never ever seen it open? no idea why? It runs down through the trees and looks great, especially on snowy dates. Has anyone here skied it?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, Which piste was it? Did you ski it anyway?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pistemeister, no, I think it is called les Chalets, and you can't actually see where it is suppoed to be.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy