Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt best location / lift

Poster: A snowHead
I think we are going to focus in on Zermatt (most likely) for trip April 16 to April 23. I am going with my 23 yo daughter. She boards, I ski. We like to be near popular bars & restaraunts that may have live music... party type atmosphere. We also want to be super close to a lift. I'd like to keep the budget down, but it's not my biggest concern. Maybe stay were we can get lift discounts too?? We plan on booking closer to mid March or later since we have to see how Covid is and if there's a good amount of snow.So...

1. Any hotel (or other lodging) recommendations? (want maybe a pool or hot tub at the location)
2. What's the best lift to be near in Zermatt? It's hard to grasp the layout from the maps shown on the internet.
3. Any updates on snow amounts and predictions for mid/late April? (altho I know it's still early)
4. Any Covid updates for the area?
Thx!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The centre is fairly compact and the bus service is frequent - at Christmas we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus and headed to the Matterhorn Express each day. Don't bother with heading up the Gorngrat train out of the centre as it's a slow trip to the top. The bottom station for it is bang opposite the main train station, which itself is at the bottom of the main street.
Basically don't worry about being adjacent to a lift station.
Zermatt has the highest lifts in Europe so if anywhere has skiing at that time of year, surely Zermatt will. Whether you can ski back to the resort is a different question.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My recommendation is somewhere close to Sunnegga. I like that that way of getting up much more than taking Matterhorn Express: avoids taking an overcrowded bus and gets you to skiing sooner. There are a few hotels real close (less than 200m). Out of them Christiania has the best pool.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if you want a write-up to to get some sense of the place, take a look:

https://www.firsttracksonline.com/author/tony-crocker/

Reads much easier if you have trail map to look in parallel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dodonnell5 wrote:
I think we are going to focus in on Zermatt (most likely) for trip April 16 to April 23. I am going with my 23 yo daughter. She boards, I ski. We like to be near popular bars & restaraunts that may have live music... party type atmosphere. We also want to be super close to a lift. I'd like to keep the budget down, but it's not my biggest concern. Maybe stay were we can get lift discounts too?? We plan on booking closer to mid March or later since we have to see how Covid is and if there's a good amount of snow.So...

1. Any hotel (or other lodging) recommendations? (want maybe a pool or hot tub at the location)
2. What's the best lift to be near in Zermatt? It's hard to grasp the layout from the maps shown on the internet.
3. Any updates on snow amounts and predictions for mid/late April? (altho I know it's still early)
4. Any Covid updates for the area?
Thx!

I tend to agree that a location near the Sunnegga lift best meets your requirements. The three mountains are well connected so starting at Sunnegga still allows you to connect over to the other mountains. Equally if you want to start at Klein matterhorn there are buses and taxis at the Sunnegga station to take you there. The Christiana is a good suggestion, I would also throw in the Schoenegg and the Metropol if a pool is important, also the Beausite. All of these are near Sunnegga and also near bars (try the snowboat, Cervo above Sunnegga and Harry’s Bar.
As for conditions, it’s impossible to predict this far out, but in previous years we have always had good late season snow.
Covid updates available here
https://www.zermatt.ch/en
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JDL65 wrote:
Don't bother with heading up the Gorngrat train out of the centre as it's a slow trip to the top. The bottom station for it is bang opposite the main train station, which itself is at the bottom of the main street..

I couldn't disagree more. How many train rides will you do in your lifetime with stunning views of the Matterhorn? Puzzled

Yes, it's a leisurely 40 minute ride up - but what a ride. And the views from the top are almost indescribable. Beyond stunning IMO! Very Happy

It's all about the experience - not about racing up the mountain in the shortest possible time.

We were there in early January (after not having been for about 15 years) and had almost forgotten how stunning it is! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
JDL65 wrote:
Don't bother with heading up the Gorngrat train out of the centre as it's a slow trip to the top. The bottom station for it is bang opposite the main train station, which itself is at the bottom of the main street..

I couldn't disagree more. How many train rides will you do in your lifetime with stunning views of the Matterhorn? Puzzled

Yes, it's a leisurely 40 minute ride up - but what a ride. And the views from the top are almost indescribable. Beyond stunning IMO! Very Happy

It's all about the experience - not about racing up the mountain in the shortest possible time.

We were there in early January (after not having been for about 15 years) and had almost forgotten how stunning it is! Very Happy Very Happy

Agree with this don’t do it every day but definitely do it once.
That time of the year I would base myself near Klein Matterhorn in preference but wouldn’t worry about elsewhere it’s all very pleasant if a little pricey.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We just stayed near the Klein Matterhorn (cœur des Alpes - very nice!) and it was wonderful being a 1m walk from the lift rather than the usual schlep through town.

#tublife

Hennu Stall on the last bit of piste down looked good for some après.

Alternatively skiing down from Sunnega on Saturday the Cervo seemed to be pretty lively
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Gornergratbahn, is the best way up. Sit on the right hand side in the station for the best view. It is relatively slow, but you are on holiday, and you will only do it once in the morning. Get up 10 mins earlier? Sunnegga is amazing though the rock, and the Matterhorn express is also great. For hotel position I suggest on the Visp, as the main bus route is along here, to get to all lifts. If you can afford a hotel with a pool, anywheres fine as you can get the plentiful taxis at 12chf a pop (probably more since 2020).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with fans of the GGB (Gornergratbahn) and their comments above. Best way up on good weather days and early in the trip when still acclimatising. Sunnegga underground funicular is like the Waterloo and City in vertical - , long walk in tunnel to the lower station platform and no views on the way up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
twoodwar wrote:
If you can afford a hotel with a pool, anywheres fine as you can get the plentiful taxis at 12chf a pop (probably more since 2020).

20chf for from Sunegga to Klein Matterhorn. So we walked it in 10 mins! Prices have definitely gone up since we last visited!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So, the absolute easiest would be Hotel Cervo. It is ski-in (just above the Sunnegga funicular) and you get the lift down to Sunnegga in the morning and then go up the mountain. As such, perfect for your stated requirements except that it's not cheap !

They have bands in the afternoon so very much a party atmosphere and you are super near the Snowboat, Harry's and other well known apres locations.

Hotel Perren is very near too, more reasonable and has a spa.

I'm suggesting staying near the Sunnegga station since there are more apres locations near there.

Zermatt is very snow sure and, usually, April brings good powder ... but no guarantees of course.

As regards Covid, my Swiss friends tell me that Switzerland will imminently remove all restrictions ... but we'll see when and if that transpires.

PS. If you're not wholly focussed on a hotel then there are some very high quality, luxury chalent rental opportunities.

PPS. www.zermatt.ch has a great accomodation search facility
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blackblade wrote:
So, the absolute easiest would be Hotel Cervo. It is ski-in (just above the Sunnegga funicular) and you get the lift down to Sunnegga in the morning and then go up the mountain. As such, perfect for your stated requirements except that it's not cheap !

They have bands in the afternoon so very much a party atmosphere and you are super near the Snowboat, Harry's and other well known apres locations.

Hotel Perren is very near too, more reasonable and has a spa.

I'm suggesting staying near the Sunnegga station since there are more apres locations near there.

Zermatt is very snow sure and, usually, April brings good powder ... but no guarantees of course.

As regards Covid, my Swiss friends tell me that Switzerland will imminently remove all restrictions ... but we'll see when and if that transpires.

PS. If you're not wholly focussed on a hotel then there are some very high quality, luxury chalent rental opportunities.

PPS. www.zermatt.ch has a great accomodation search facility

Hotel Perren excellent value in my experience and good location as per above.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dodonnell5,
Talk to Jeff Michel at otp.co.UK
I used him/them the two times I skiied Zermatt.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
20chf for from Sunegga to Klein Matterhorn. So we walked it in 10 mins! Prices have definitely gone up since we last visited!!!

I think you mean Matterhorn Express (MX), not Klein Matterhorn Very Happy. Klein Matterhorn is the highest peak in the resort and the top of the highest gondola at 3883m ... so only 20CHF to be driven there would be a bargain !

There is a free bus that takes you between MX and Sunnegga though it gets busy at peak periods.
latest report
Blackblade wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I think you mean Matterhorn Express (MX), not Klein Matterhorn Very Happy. Klein Matterhorn is the highest peak in the resort and the top of the highest gondola at 3883m ... so only 20CHF to be driven there would be a bargain !

There is a free bus that takes you between MX and Sunnegga though it gets busy at peak periods.

Right you are! The timetable said every 20 mins and we just missed one hence asking the taxi guy. Perhaps he was just trying his luck?

When they quoted me 110chf for the lift pass I asked the missus if she was up for skinning up to the Klein Matterhorn Very Happy
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Right you are! The timetable said every 20 mins and we just missed one hence asking the taxi guy. Perhaps he was just trying his luck?

When they quoted me 110chf for the lift pass I asked the missus if she was up for skinning up to the Klein Matterhorn Very Happy

And do you still have all the normal appendages still attached after making such a suggestion ? Happy

PS. The buses go rather more frequently during peak periods ... so he might have been being somewhat 'economical with the truth'
ski holidays
Hotel Cheminee is directly across the street from the Sunegga base station. Bus stop outside the front door for the ride to the Klein Matterhorn base. 3* hotel. Not fancy, but well priced by Zermatt standards. Garni or 1/2 board.
latest report
If you don’t want a pool, ( Hotel Perren does not have one in my recollection), we have stayed in the Hotel Couronne at least half a dozen times. On the visp, on Kirchestrasse, opposite a bus stop. Also the best apres at Papperla pub 100 metres away. Great hotel, decent breakfast centalmposition, reasonably priced.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
If you don’t want a pool, ( Hotel Perren does not have one in my recollection), we have stayed in the Hotel Couronne at least half a dozen times. On the visp, on Kirchestrasse, opposite a bus stop. Also the best apres at Papperla pub 100 metres away. Great hotel, decent breakfast cental position reasonably priced.
ski holidays
Not sure what I did Embarassed
latest report
There’s no such thing as lift pass discounts in Zermatt sadly!
We’ve stayed at the Hotel Bristol many times. It’s a comfortable 3 star hotel, with some spa facilities. The breakfast options are fab. The papperla pub is just behind. The views from rooms at the front of the hotel of the Matterhorn are amazing. It’s a relative short walk (10 mins) up to the Matterhorn Express lift or down to Sunnegga, or get the bus. If you have a budget to blow there are some amazing hotels. The Hotel Matterhorn focus, right by the Matterhorn express lift is lovely for example. Great pool and hot tub.
It’s an easy town to get around on foot.
Please be aware that most spas (as in the sauna, steam room areas) require total nudity. It can be quite a surprise!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy