Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski gloves

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a relatively new skier so not looking to buy anything super expensive and from looking online I really cant tell what makes a good or bad glove. Puzzled
What would be a good pair of ski gloves for the back end of march in Les Deux Alpes just to keep me warm and dry?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As with a lot of stuff, fit is important (and can even vary between the same model+size! Especially for leather gloves).

Generally mittens are warmer but you or you probably don't want that in late march.
Equally warmth is subjective - lots here could point you at insanely warm gloves because they have reynaulds(sp?) So get very very cold hands, but if I doubt I could put up with them anywhere I ski - I would roast

Liner gloves are worth considering as they both protect the glove from sweat (much easier to clean) and allow warmth variation.

Someone can probably point you at winter workman's gloves that can be as good as higher end ski gloves but a lot cheaper

For a first trip I would look at mid range decathlon as relatively cheap and reasonable quality so you can then decide if you need something warmer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okay, thank you - I've been skiing once before a couple of years ago and didn't find any problems there but the temps weren't as cold as where I'm going but appreciate your help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
March it's likely to be a lot warmer than say Jan. Key thing to warm hands is keeping your core warm. If you do that then your body will maintain blood flow to your hands. Cold core and the hands will suffer even in the warmest gloves.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blacksheep wrote:
March it's likely to be a lot warmer than say Jan. Key thing to warm hands is keeping your core warm. If you do that then your body will maintain blood flow to your hands. Cold core and the hands will suffer even in the warmest gloves.

Thankyou Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, blacksheep, so right.
Excellent advice from a Ski Instructor was: "If your hands are cold, put on a neck muffler"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One place that does sensible price Ski Gloves, is TK Maxx. They have pretty much withdrawn their Ski stuff.....but it might be worth a look in your local branch, though it's a longshot.

Other places to check out:

Freeze Pro shop
Glisshop
Ekosport
Snowtraz
Sport Pursuit

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 13-02-22 14:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim wrote:
Yes, blacksheep, so right.
Excellent advice from a Ski Instructor was: "If your hands are cold, put on a neck muffler"

Thankyou
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
One place that does sensible price Ski Gloves, is TK Maxx. They have pretty much withdrawn their Ski stuff.....but it might be worth a look in your local branch, though it's a longshot.

Other places to check out:

Freeze Pro shop
Glisshop
Ekosport
Glisshop
Snowtraz
Sport Pursuit

I'll try and go in and have a look Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get mitts. I've never, ever managed to keep my hands warm in spite of spending hundreds of pounds on gloves. One pair of mid priced mitts and I can ski in any type of weather.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MikeM wrote:
Get mitts. I've never, ever managed to keep my hands warm in spite of spending hundreds of pounds on gloves. One pair of mid priced mitts and I can ski in any type of weather.

Any specific ones you'd recommend?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As with the others, depends which shops are near you to check sizing.
But for cheap but fair quality.

Decathlon, they sell inner gloves too.
Regatta
TOG24
GoOutdoors selling off their skiwear at the moment.
TkMaxx, very variable between branches, pot luck on availability of sizes and range and I don't think they had much this year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On inner gloves, try and get silk ones (not that expensive at Decathlon) they are far better than the crappy nylon ones - also good for cycling in dodge weather.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well…? You want pile inside, waterproof outside, good leather palm and thumb. Like Hestra army gloves - 100 gbp or more. But they make gloves for work companies using the same materials - nordbo for example. I paid 14:00 last time.

These are excellent also…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184434293201

Note the price. Really high spec. Really tough.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2 wrote:
Well…? You want pile inside, waterproof outside, good leather palm and thumb. Like Hestra army gloves - 100 gbp or more. But they make gloves for work companies using the same materials - nordbo for example. I paid 14:00 last time.

These are excellent also…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184434293201

Note the price. Really high spec. Really tough.

Will there be any issues with the waterproofing of these or not?
snow conditions
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/0snowshepleatherskiglove
snow report
Layne wrote:
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/0snowshepleatherskiglove

I have been looking on there and I did try and order some before but they're out of my size in all of the gloves Sad
snow report
@clintt15, waterproofing isn't as big a deal with ski gloves as you might think. Most of the time, your hands aren't in the snow and it's cold enough that water tends to be frozen. The exceptions are if you're skiing in the rain, or having lots of snowball fights/generally messing around in the snow.
Gloves vs mitts is a very personal thing - for me, gloves are fine down to about -10; beyond that, I prefer mitts. My daughter wears mitts pretty much all the time.
Leather is more durable than synthetics, but costs more (if you go with a ski glove rather than a work glove). If you are still early on the slippery slope that is ski gear, I'd get whatever feels good from Decathlon.
latest report
@mgrolf, is there any good gloves you'd suggest ie. maybe something leather that won't run me a massive bill like those work gloves you mentioned?
snow report
@clintt15, have a look at the link @valais2, posted. Gloves like that.
snow conditions
@clintt15, nope … the main issue with gloves is getting wet from the inside - unless as people say it rains or you are messing in snow - we use massively expensive gloves and dirt cheap work gloves like the ones I posted. Most of the time the work gloves work extremely well and last ages.

By contrast, cheap gloves which promise much usually deliver little …
ski holidays
@valais2, Right I'm going to order a pair now they seem great. Really appreciate you sending the link. Also, would you suggest getting a glove liner or anything and will the gloves be okay if it does get a bit warmer, I imagine we'll be doing most of the skiing high up anyways?
snow report
@clintt15, no I think they’ll be fine without a liner.
ski holidays
I've just bought these https://www.bikester.co.uk/pearl-izumi-amfib-gel-gloves-men-M903967.html as a good lightweight glove (it's generally quite warm at that time) as it depends if you really have a need for heat retention (as some very specifically ask for) and worn them out in UK so far until ski trip comes. Still seem very warm for such a light glove so far.

Very light beautifully made and appear very durable as they are targeted to MTB use. They are bang on size wise though, if anyone wanted more "bag" they'd have to go one size up.

Hard to beat the snow sheperd ones, but these may be of interest.
latest report
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121531989958?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110013%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIMRXI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20210125103153%26meid%3Dcf8ba39266a84e67b112a6c9fc596f5c%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D333405235005%26itm%3D121531989958%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2046732%26algv%3DSIMRVIMLRV5WebV1_0%26brand%3DDelta&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&amdata=cksum%3A121531989958cf8ba39266a84e67b112a6c9fc596f5c%7Cenc%3AAQAGAAAB8NTK47ABXUPvrYHEEldxdrJ%252FUHoK1bE6hPdeCu8Pk6%252Fm8gpcmv7GEXrzN19DO55dAFxokQUdUmg0M%252FyMY34iZL70w5Vu1qmra960TspobIjIOc4hZpG2uM%252BBA4%252FdkxGbtSIO54A%252Fc%252FRocGmroROsM6fncO5pW0AKrq%252BAPIuGV1QFJ678EDDbMeGFU2dgGScoOlAO9oQ5ftRcHpzTt55dw7PxxnRP6YP4yyVEPPscoPPFwv9guSvfCy5EfVc7G4ry%252B6rRFCwJZyxNk5iraYr2tVFhUQbgXRudridM7AEaW9FAGHu5weCKLipuP4FBs2AFyK47hamkoo5Mz%252FG1axFU%252BmRZbJwj6SoOZ%252BbUCIzPUcO%252Bs2NobRwkrV8XGEIuUP%252BH6KBGMlWDOrkg7axexC0GroiGY2BwDFYHCH8a4Mr9hSOExAIyA67YP3AsRM%252BJZhfmPw8Wv3wfPFm1q4SpbLyyw1VrV7cSUQmJa0ngYyiAeW8fq4NeAsDEHResspQ7iz8IqrF%252Bo56qrFZqCQ51SvzA0rqZNKElpITSKdMogHa0RAw7yPzYBgXu7gbAMhaRq%252Fd4ASWhUOAAtTYLPAM4poYpkkfVtjFgwjhdtTPRRAtLU1f%252FXajiMoarB9N7fsgc52cgGAiDK1efUJlYFNCczhAKN6Q%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2046732

@valais2, managed to find these on ebay aswell - you think these will be okay?
ski holidays
Another vote for Decathalon, such good value.
Make sure you don't get them on the tight side.
By March it wont be too cold, but you can always get caught out.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Think ill just grab a pair of the work glove ones then nip to decathlon in the week - best of both worlds wink
ski holidays
@clintt15, I have some of those for clearing snow etc - nice things, take a while to wear in because so weirdly shaped, …but the 10:00 work gloves in the earlier are better. The cuffs on the delta ones are a bit of a pain - very thick. But they are good things and I do carry them as backups sometimes…
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, Just ordered the original ones you sent - ill let you know how they are Smile
snow report
clintt15 wrote:
Layne wrote:

I have been looking on there and I did try and order some before but they're out of my size in all of the gloves Sad

You seem to be sorted but if not worth emailing snow shepherd to find out if/when he'll get more stock in.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
clintt15 wrote:
Layne wrote:

You seem to be sorted but if not worth emailing snow shepherd to find out if/when he'll get more stock in.

I did send an email before so if i get a reply and they end up coming back into stock before my trip i’ll just have to see what the ones i’ve received are like in comparison - thankyou for your help Smile
snow report
Dakine Baron mitt - the perfect gore-tex and goat mix. Better than Hestra in my view (yes, I've had an Army pair...) and streets ahead of Burton (one set was more than enough!). On my second pair of Barons (stupidly lost the first after 3x winters, and 10 weeks of happy use). List is £80, but you should be able to get a pair for £50-55.
snow conditions
I smashed a thumb in a work accident years ago, and could never keep it warm. This year I finally bought a pair of heated gloves with rechargable lithium batteries. 3 temperature settings. Amazing.
snow report
@clintt15, that’s good…if you have any leather feed or wax then after a while whack that on the gloves - we use hestra leather feed but that’s going to cost more than the gloves … any leather feed will do
snow conditions
Quote:
maybe something leather that won't run me a massive bill like those work gloves you mentioned?

You could try something like these for £42 https://www.workgloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-595-thermal-waterproof-work-gloves.html
Rated to -50°C Shocked ... Reviews compare them to Hestra at 3x the price snowHead
latest report
+1 for work gloves, ive never used them for skiing but bought a pair of liquid nitrogen rated rubberised gloves for winter dinghy sailing, much better than any of the branded ones.

in late march ill be taking something very light, there a good chance you'll only need gloves to stop abrasions from falls and not keep your hands warm.
ski holidays
I keep two pairs of gloves on hand via leashes on my coat. A good pair of Decathlon mittens with a liner and a pair of cheap Aldi Outdoor sports gloves. I interchange depending on how cold my hands are feeling. I don’t like to have hot / cold hands.
ski holidays
I had some cheap gloves that were warm and waterproof, but in which I always had sweaty hands. On buying new gloves I pulled them apart and found three layers - the outer layer with the colour/design and some leather-like patches, an inner fleece layer, and in between a layer of polythene film, like disposable plastic bags are made from.

Explained both the waterproofing and sweaty hands.
ski holidays
Mountain Equipment Couloir - Goretex and leather (goat skin) combo gloves with micro fleece and pile inners

I've had the older (tan colour leather) for over 5 seasons now and can honestly say these are the best gloves I've ever had - completely waterproof and warm when its cold; breathable and non-sweaty when the temps rise, these gloves are uber comfortable and have all the features required (retention straps / draw cords on the wrists etc) They are neither too long nor short so you can either tuck them into or wear over your jacket sleeves. No need for annoying liners - these just work on their own!

Some deals on the latest versions at the moment so under £100 - value IMHO
snow conditions
I would reckon end of March will be warm... certainly for April. I use sealskinz cycling clothes. All weather, waterproof ones.

Just treating myself to a new pair arriving shortly

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1984075
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy