Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d’Isere tips/advice

Poster: A snowHead
I could not find too much searching earlier discussions. What are the best runs of the resort? Where would you venture a bit off-piste should I get some fresh snow during my trip (no guide or touring gear, just something fun close to marked runs)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try posting on the Val d'Isere thread in the snow reports section.

Lots of local knowledge via those pages.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tsarkola, careful where you ski off piste in Val d Isere. Area is extremely avalanche prone.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val d Isere social ski groups meet every morning at 09.30 am at the base of Olympique lift by the large wooden piste map.
Predominately SCGB members but open to all and we form many different groups depending on conditions..
Come and say hello as we are very relaxed and just enjoy the mountains.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@peanuthead, you can say that about any place in the mountains where it snows and has slopes over 30º - pointless comment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
timlongs wrote:
@peanuthead, you can say that about any place in the mountains where it snows and has slopes over 30º - pointless comment.

Absolutely.... what a random comment!

tsarkola - yea take up lunch mike suggestion and try the SCGB meet point for a slide about - friendly helpful bunch and will help for sure!

The concept of best runs - well thats open to opinion really..... perhaps consider going to lesser skied corners of the resort for the generally better piste conditions and quieter slopes as a starting point to answer that question. But if you want me to list my Fav runs in Val then off top of my head it'd be.

Green: Borsat or Grand Pre probably
Blue: Plan Millet
Red: Arcelle or Fontaine Froid
Black: Rhone Alps

....now that will probably open up a debate but just a quick thought on some of my favs within Val!

Fav off piste descent (NOT suggesting you venture without a guide or anything) Cugnai or Col Pers!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What are the best runs of the resort?

All the runs here are absolutely fantabulous. The world is your lobster. Fill your boots.

My personal favourites are: Grande Pre, Edelweiss, Raye, Rhones Alpes, direct from top of Lanche to bottom of Vanoise chairs. There you go, one of each colour plus a bumps run.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I seem to remember double M being a great run, good fun making your way over as well
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tsarkola,
Try skiing the Naturide pistes (marked with xxx on the piste map) - a transition from bashed piste and true off-piste.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks to everyone for tips and opinions!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tsarkola, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

When are you going?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks! Still 1 week and then it’s go-time!

Btw, I’m planning to start venturing more into offpiste. I have proper skis/shoes/bindings, but lack other equipment and know-how. Does anybody have an opinion what would be the best way to organize/book a beginner crash course in val d’isere or how should I approach this? I would love to join my friends who are into touring, but I think I should first get the basic skills in place..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tsarkola, You use the term shoes - in the nicest possible way this implies you are a beginner as they're boots Very Happy

If so, forget off-piste!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MorningGory wrote:
@tsarkola, You use the term shoes - in the nicest possible way this implies you are a beginner as they're boots.

Or just someone who doesn't speak English as their first language.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rjs, Maybe. Worth waiting for the op to comment though Very Happy
ski holidays
Hah yes, not a native speaker, but that’s probably still not an excuse...

Anyways, surely still a beginner compared to most of the snowheads, but I’m feeling comfortable enough on both the groomed and non-groomed runs that I think I might also enjoy proper offpiste..
snow conditions
Book a lesson if you want to learn to ski off piste. Plenty of ski schools in Val. Sure someone could recommend one if you confirm what your first language is.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy