Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire at Munich airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I see they`re all asking for any drivers from outside the EU must provide "An International Drivers Permit?"

Is this asked for or is is lip service?

Or are the UK still classed as EU?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jafa, Are you joking? UK still classed as EU! No. We left.

Seriously you wont be asked for anything other than a regular UK driving license, don't sweat it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My sister was refused a hire car in Spain because she didn't have an international driving permit. She had booked online but when she got to the desk in the arrivals hall they said no way without one.

We went to Spain a month later and they asked for ours at the Hertz desk.

Maybe it's different in Germany but they are only 5.50 quid at the post office.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Driving in Europe
You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a photocard driving licence issued in the UK.

You might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either:

a paper driving licence
a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

--------------------------

Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles) None You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months.

Germany None You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months. If you hold a paper driving licence or a driving licence from the Isle of Man, you may need a 1968 IDP. Check with the German Embassy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Id assumed that we wouldnt need it, but just wanted to check what peoples experience was. I hired in Innsbruck last week, and the same companies quoting in Munich never brought up a request for one in Innsbruck. So as this is from a German Airport, just wanted to check.

Thank you for your responses!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 10-02-22 15:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, I know what the government website says. I am just reporting on what actually happened when hiring a car.

In fact my sister went into the post office before she went to Spain, they checked the government site and said she didn't need one. So she didn't bother.

Note that that page refers to driving, not hiring.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jagerbull, when she booked online did it say she needed one, like in the munich example above?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, it didn't say she needed one when she booked.
She contacted the online company she had booked with while she waited for someone to drive 2 hours to pick her up and they said they would update their website guidance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jagerbull, what a nightmare, was hers with an aggregator site ? And who was the actual rental co, Hertz as well?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
She used an aggregator, don't know which company was the hire car provider. We booked direct with Hertz.

It's possible (likely?) that this is something happening in Spain not everywhere else in Europe. Maybe even in certain airport locations.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jagerbull, could be. Thats why I was hoping to seeing if it was Hertz in both cases or two different rental car cos that might indicate a Hertz issue or a Spain issue.

I must say I haven’t seen anyone mention it happening in other parts of EU though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've got the IDP now anyhow, will carry it to be on the safe side.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh..the queues at Munich can be massive for car hirr. I've passed through there (pre COVID) quite a few times on work. If you're renting direct, try signing up for their loyalty schemes, it takes some effort (credit card, driving license etc). When it works...you find your name on the display board and walk over (5 minutes) to the car rental area and pick up your motor...and avoid the 30 people queuing.
Returning...fill up before getting too close to airport, by memory the closest petrol stations were not well located.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rnick, the airport petrol station is well located for rental drop off
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy