Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to replace boots

Poster: A snowHead
So we are returning to skiing after a long gap... and taking the kids for their first time too.
Old boots are still in the loft and were new at last use, but that was 13 years ago. I'd have to dig them out for brand and model but they were well fitted, custom footbeds etc.

Is there a general rule for the age of boots before replacement?
Has boot tech moved on to the point that hire boots would be a better move for a week back on the snow?
Or do we bring the old boots, try them and then decide?

All advice welcomed and appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some advice I was given was never store boots in a loft . something about the extreme temperature making the boots brittle
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, good point about the loft. Sorry, should have said our loft is insulated and essentially a room of the house. Just full of…. well, everything!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Axe, Do you live close enough to one of the indoor snow centres to make a trip?

Apart from testing the boots to:
a) make sure they still fit, and
b) make sure they are fit for purpose,

the leg exercise will give you a very good idea of your ski readiness.

Otherwise, it could be a painful week of stiff thighs and calves. (Trust me, I know from experience of a 10 year gap. Toofy Grin )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@brianatab - great idea on the indoor snow centre, yep we could probably make that work.

I'm less worried about the fitness, although I'm sure it will still hurt but wife and I are significantly fitter than we were back 13 years ago. Hopefully that will mitigate it a bit.... maybe
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When they smell offensively? Mine are now at that point, I’ve had them for over 20 years Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
When they smell offensively? Mine are now at that point, I’ve had them for over 20 years Smile

Ouch... I can confirm they do not smell offensively... but I shall aspire to this by year 20!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The shell plastic can age harden, as happened to my wife (No I don't want new boots ,these are comfortable) halfway up the Valletta and the shell broke in two. I hardly ever mention this to her when I say that I am thinking of getting new boots. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I replace mine every 20 years or so. By this time the heals and toes are worn to the point they do not click into bindings automatically. Friends have had their's simply crumble into pieces.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IME. Factors that may effect the decision:

- Where they were stored (how much direct sunlight/temperature changes)
- How many weeks they were used
- The state of the toe and heel pads and whether they are still available to replace
- Generally, boots should be replaced somewhere between 12 and 18 years, where skiing 1 or 2 weeks per year....due to the plastic / toe and heel pads becoming brittle/dozed/warn.
- The liners should last 1 full season if you are out there skiing daily

Generally, if there is a question mark over them, it's probably better to replace them from a safety pov....but I suspect you would be OK for a couple of years yet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
If I understand you correctly - the Boots were stored for 13 years, so are older than that. If that's correct, how old are they?

IME. Factors that may effect the decision:

- Where they were stored (how much direct sunlight/temperature changes)
- How many weeks they were used
- The state of the toe and heel pads and whether they are still available to replace
- Generally, boots should be replaced somewhere between 12 and 18 years, where skiing 1 or 2 weeks per year....due to the plastic / toe and heel pads becoming brittle/dozed/warn.
- The liners should last 1 full season if you are out there skiing daily

Generally, if there is a question mark over them, it's probably better to replace them from a safety pov.

Thanks!

So, they were purchased 13 years ago, used for a 10 day trip to Whistler and then bagged and stored.
- storage in a cupboard in a loft room (but insulated and warm not prone to temperature swings)
- heel and toe pads are like they've only been used for a few days... near new condition

I guess we try them out here on an indoor slope and see if they survive?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They should be totally fine, its sunlight that damages the plastic in older boots. Other than if the morphology of your foot has changed if you've had a dramatic weight loss or gain in the interim, you should be 100% gtg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all who have responded. What I'm taking from all of this;

1) there isn't some new whizz technology that we'll miss out on by using our old boots
2) test the boots for their condition - on one of the indoor slopes here if possible before going
3) test the fit to ensure nothing has substantially changed - our weight, foot size/fit etc
4) get some planks in the resort and go go go....

Ta!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Normally based on use rather than age (better measured in days or weeks of use rather than years), but at 13 years old I'd be concerned about the plastic becoming hard/brittle
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
Normally based on use rather than age (better measured in days or weeks of use rather than years), but at 13 years old I'd be concerned about the plastic becoming hard/brittle

How concerned?

If we test here and they flex and move as expected can we continue with confidence.... or are you suggesting that risk isn't worth it?
snow conditions
@Axe, not having a go honest but the title of your post is a bit misleading because one would assume at least moderate usage on a yearly basis when asked the question "When to replace boots".

Your situation is more unusual shall we say.

As others of said the usage (10 days if I read correctly) and storage (well stored) suggests the boots should still be fine for use. The only thing I haven't seen mentioned that was mentioned on another boot thread recently is that feet do change a little over time. And it is 13 years for you - so just be wary they may not quite as great a fit as they were originally and could even require some adjustment.

Have a good trip!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy