Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC Documentary - Free Spirits

Poster: A snowHead
Don't know if anyone else has come across this yet; it's a BBC documentary about the TeamGB freestyle skiers & boarders and their lead-up to the Olympics - Free Spirits

Really feel for Tyler Harding though and it's a travesty to see the state of the dry-slope in Sheffield.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clare Balding and Zoe Ball were talking abut this this morning on Radio 2, sounds really interesting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's on TV tonight on BBC3
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
it's on TV tonight on BBC3
Is it Puzzled I can only see such riveting programmes as Ru Paul's Drag Race and Eating With My Ex on the Sky planner for this evening on BBC3... Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think Woodsy is in this too? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60083316
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nbt, FIFY
Quote:
it's on TV on Thursday at 9:10 on BBC3
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geoffers wrote:
@nbt, FIFY
Quote:
it's on TV on Thursday at 9:10 on BBC3 (football depending)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for confirming geoffers. I'll make do with Ru Paul until then wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also available to download on Sky and IPlayer
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for flagging this, was a really good watch
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Missed it thought it was a repeat of Whisky Galore.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its on iplayer
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is excellent, we’ll done BBC for this documentary. Really enjoyed it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sorry my mistake - it's on iPlayer from today and TV on thursday as @geoffers and @davkt have highlighted
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Halfway through it & quite amazing how team GB are so strong
snow report
Crash Reel is on iplayer as well, another one worth a watch.
snow conditions
@davkt, I'd thoroughly recommend Crash Reel (well it did win an Emmy) I looked back in the SH vault and it was waaay back in 2013 when I first watched it - it's unfortunate that it's still so very relevant in the extreme sports world.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@davkt, I'd thoroughly recommend Crash Reel (well it did win an Emmy) I looked back in the SH vault and it was waaay back in 2013 when I first watched it - it's unfortunate that it's still so very relevant in the extreme sports world.

Exactly, guess it was about then I first watched it and as you say still totally relevant today.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Oh my lord, what an absolutely uplifting (but also harrowing at times) piece of film-making, narrative and story telling.
ski holidays
Cor... did they have to show that still of Tyler Hardings ankle busting landing *wince*
snow report
Thanks for highlighting, I'll give it a watc.

The ruins of SSV still makes me sad. What a place in its hay day.

Really felt like it was run into the ground on purpose, and then there was the fire. Funny how so many places succumb to a fire when they owners are looking to redevelop.
snow report
Watched it last night and recommend, really well done.
snow report
A very enjoyable watch - thank you for making us aware of this show as I normally go no where near BBC 3!! Shocked
latest report
I forgot to add that I wish the athletes represented in the show the best of luck in Beijing. I hope their hard work and dedication and performance inspire a new generation of winter sport athletes.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, really good viewing if a little tough at times. Amazing how much his personality seemed to shift, from the initial TBI and then developing through recovery. The scary thing is just how many similar stories there are, not just in Crash Reel but also other films I vaguely remember watching of people with similar injuries.
ski holidays
Quote:

Missed it thought it was a repeat of Whisky Galore.

Laughing
ski holidays
Really enjoyed this, what a fantastic job Pat Sharples has done of these young athlete's. Fingers crossed for some medals.
snow conditions
Well worth a watch. Well done BBC, in the main, for avoiding the usual cliches. Very hard not to feel for Tyler Harding - rated so highly when a grom and it's never really happened for him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just watched it this evening. It was most enjoyable.
ski holidays
Quote:

Very hard not to feel for Tyler Harding

Indeed - echos of Emily Sarsfield there back in 2014, and what happened to Katie Ormerod 4 years ago.
snow conditions
If you'd like to hear more about Pat Sharples' story, you might enjoy this interview I did with him last year:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7867124-pat-sharples-head-coach-at-gb-snowsport-bonus-episode-17
ski holidays
It was a great watch, thanks for recommending it. I used to ski at Sheffield dry slope when I was a teen, I loved it with its Alpine bar/restaurant feel and the big TVs showing proper snow skiing, for those of us who couldn't get to the Alps very often it felt very exotic!! My son also has had a few lessons at Halifax dry slope and the documentary really showed how important these places were/are. Wishing all the athletes the best of luck.
ski holidays
the free spirits programme was a great watch, though not without a bit of sadness regarding Tyler Harding, fights back from injury only to miss out due to covid!!!

went on to watch "crash reel" in the week, to be honest i am not a big follower of that discipline, i had heard of shaun white, but not kevin pearce. it was a sobering watch, to see all the accidents, and sadly, some fatalities that happen.

but did anyone else notice the Combloux poster on the wall of the sponsors chalet in breckenridge?
i was pleasantly surprised seeing it, as it is where i took my girls on their first skiing holiday a few years ago!!
latest report
Just chatted to Graham Bell and Emily Sarsfield about how Team GB are doing. Special ski podcast episode out now:
https://audioboom.com/posts/8028468-beijing-2022-update-with-graham-bell-emily-sarsfield-bonus-episode-25
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5cfmMTVsnZ70dMkbMOQrxw
latest report
Really enjoyed it. I love the Alps, just great to see snow and Saas-Fee.
snow conditions
terrygasson wrote:
the free spirits programme was a great watch, though not without a bit of sadness regarding Tyler Harding, fights back from injury only to miss out due to covid!!!

went on to watch "crash reel" in the week, to be honest i am not a big follower of that discipline, i had heard of shaun white, but not kevin pearce. it was a sobering watch, to see all the accidents, and sadly, some fatalities that happen.

Crash Reel - superb. A film that stays with you.
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Thanks for highlighting, I'll give it a watc.

The ruins of SSV still makes me sad. What a place in its hay day.

Really felt like it was run into the ground on purpose, and then there was the fire. Funny how so many places succumb to a fire when they owners are looking to redevelop.

I think there has been more than one fire.

There has been a few redevelopment proposals. From memory I believe the last viable one was thrown out by the Council as the developer needed to add a few residential units to make the figures stack up.

Total madness!

I'll blame the Green Party councillors even though I've got no idea if it was anything to do with them Toofy Grin

My lad goes to the Skate park not far from the site and the whole area is a total poo-poo hole.
snow report
@russ_e, by the end of April it'll be a decade since the first of the fires that closed down Sheffield.
ski holidays
Blimey, I wonder how old my boarding trousers are then? I remember we had to take them off the dummy in the shop as they were the last pair.

They are just about to be handed down to my son too, I bet they might even be older than him (14!!)

Apologies for the off topic drift.

I'll post this link to get it back on track.

https://shaff.co.uk/
snow report
@russ_e, might be time to wash 'em
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy