Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eye-wear / googles, glasses or bare?

Poster: A snowHead
My 2 cents...
I had cheap ski goggles the first time I went skiing. The next day I had Oakley A frames so I could actually see where I was going! Madeye-Smiley Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Old Fartbag, thanks for explaining. Bolle are a brand which knows its optics.

My wife has varifocal lenses, and doesn't really like her goggles with a prescription distance-only insert which are the plan B for snowy weather. She only got those after being persuaded to by the over the glasses goggles that she quickly discarded as still making her fog up (the ones I now use - Scott but we don't seem to have any record of the lens). But her default was to use her normal glasses which was not a great idea, she has ended up to have an operation on her eye to remove a pterygion which is most likely due to excess UV exposure (no, I hadn't heard of it before, but it isn't nice to have). So we went to the most expensive optician in town, which has favoured status with Oakley, and got Prizm Rose varifocal lenses made for a model which actually seems to fit her without steaming up and has frames which stop light from the side. She needed that favoured status, they were able to send back one pair after they had got custom made lenses but decided they didn't work for her!

Even then she was somewhat sceptical, but skiing she found it coped with every situation we met including skiing in and out of trees. So a win, except that I have to carry the goggles in case of the weather really getting bad. Do you think the photochromic alternatives which a lot of suppliers are currently pushing are now a better bet?

Sorry to the OP, my previous advice stands which for first time to buy decent basic goggles which seem mostly to be in the £30-40 range.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@j b, If I had an input into that successful decision....then I'm relieved it worked out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
j b wrote:
Do you think the photochromic alternatives which a lot of suppliers are currently pushing are now a better bet?

Sorry, I missed this.

No matter how good the Photochromic lenses are, they do take time to change (around 30 secs to go from Cat.1 to Cat. 3 and I think they take a bit longer to lighten)....though this has got quicker over the years, due to improved performance in cold temperatures.

IMV. The only reason to go down this route, is if your "Do it all lens" doesn't cover the more extreme ends of the spectrum effectively enough ie. To the extent that it becomes a problem. If the Rose covers the conditions being skied in, that would seem to be the optimum solution.

If you do want to dabble in a Photochromic lens - look at NXT Trivex. They are lighter, have great optical clarity (better than polycarbonate) and are quick to change VLT. There is also an option of being semi-polarised (50%), to help reduce glare, while still allowing you to see the sheen of ice.

Brands that use NXT are the likes of Bolle, Julbo, Smith and POC.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 13-02-22 11:17; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:
... No matter how good the Photochromic lenses are, they do take time to change (around 30 secs to go from Cat.1 to Cat. 3 and I think they take a bit longer to lighten)....though this has got quicker over the years. IMV. The only reason to go down this route, is if your "Do it all lens" doesn't cover the more extreme ends of the spectrum. If the Rose covers the conditions she skis in, that would seem to be the optimum solution....
I was going to measure mine, but it's too cold out and the sun isn't that strong today.
I think it's not the important point anyway...

Of course your eyes have some built in ability to adapt to changing light. And then the weather takes a fair amount of time to change.
The result is that the only time responsiveness is likely an actual issue is when leaving indoors for out, or when entering/ leaving dense trees: sudden transitions.

Photochromics darken faster than they lighten, and I personally never notice transitioning into the light. I do notice entering dark forests.
However the combination of my eyes compensating plus the goggles doing their thing is that within a second or two of riding, I forget about it.

In my experience most people with lens-switching ability don't use it "in the field", especially not once they're bored with it.
They certainly never use it when riding into a dark forest, presumably because no one else wants to wait whilst they faff twice per run, every run. It's just not practical.

For sure, anything middle-of the road will work for most people most of the time and is more practical than
lens switching on the fly. I'd avoid anything at the extremes unless you carry two pairs of lens or
goggles (carrying a second pair of goggles is the old skool way to deal with changing light which also provides an
emergency back up if you fall or lose your goggles).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, Agreed

Until the Prizm Rose came along, there was no lens that I would have been happy with as an All Weather option (it has a much lower VLT than most low light lenses). If I hadn't discovered this lens, I would be in an NXT lens...probably a Bolle Modulator 2.0 Light Control (now Phantom+), or something from POC. At the time, I did a lot of research as to the direction I would take.

Given jb's Wife seems happy with the Prizm Rose, there seems little point in changing, due to potential issues of sudden changes in light.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 12-02-22 16:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
(Agreed: this forum needs a simple "aye" button you can just click. I will measure me lenses when I get bored somewhere though.)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike wrote:
You will need goggles for skiing and sunglasses for sitting on a terrace with a beer afterwards. Buy the best you can afford.

Or the cheapest from Aliexpress - despite all the marketing in terms of eye protection there really isn't any difference. All the lenses are made of polycarbonate and therefore block UV-light 100%.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone once again for your pieces of advice.

I've researched the market and extended the budget slightly, got stuck with two models, would like to hear your thoughts on the following:

(a) SMITH OPTICS Vice Goggles Phantom
(b) SMITH OPTICS Squad XL Chromapop Everyday Green Mirror

Based on what I've managed to understand, the Phantom are photochromic for 20-50% VLT, and the Squad come with two interchangeable lenses, one if 20% VLT and another is 50%, so pretty much comparable.

Which one would you choose and why?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Just spent a v sunny day skiing in Andorra wearing these, 99.9% UV block, super lightweight, really wrap around so little or no wind/UV coming in around the sides, good clarity and totally unrestricted perpheral vision, as good as, if not better than any sunglasses that I have used for skiing.
At £2.49 the are disposable!!!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-stealth-smoke-lens-safety-spectacle/796fr
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS, as others have said, don't consider not wearing eye protection in the mountains but don't let anyone tell you that good UV protection costs money, the additives used to stop the UV cost less than the polymer that the lenses are made from.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tip:
Get some great goggles from Decathlon, they are as good as any I've tried.
If you feel a bit unsure of yourself .. get yourself an Oakley strap, you'll have all the cred you need.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:
... If you feel a bit unsure of yourself .. get yourself an Oakley strap, you'll have all the cred you need.
wink Or just learn to ski/ ride, and no one notices how fashionable you are any more.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tangowaggon's photo makes the point that all you need is UV block and darkening of bright sunshine, including from the sides, and you don't need to pay big brand prices for that. However if the snow starts falling when you are on the mountain sunglasses aren't enough, the snow will make vision almost impossible unless you have goggles. The question is whether you are prepared to carry goggles for that eventuality or decide to wear goggles all the time and put up with the reduction in peripheral vision.

If your main eye protection is going to be sunglasses, almost any goggle sold for skiing should be OK for when it turns nasty. Under the conditions you will use them, you will find the extra problem of "flat light" where you struggle to see the differences in light and shade that allows you to interpret the piste ahead of you in good conditions; the story is that what light there is has a bias to the blue end of the spectrum so that there is a benefit of using yellow- or pink-tinted goggles to make the most of what contrast there is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@philwig, Toofy Grin
snow report
Think the general opinion is ski goggles is a must which I 100% agree with. I would stick to brands which are tried and tested (lot of start up companies buying generic googles from China and sticking flashy branding on). Companies I would consider oakley, poc, bolle, Smith obviously they are many more genuine brands.

I am not convinced these super quick magnetic changeable lenses are so practical out on the mountain simply as no way I an stopping to change lenses multiple times per run also need to carry lenses which prob need a back pack which if I am piste skiing I can't really be bothered with.

So your options is a all round lense in the middle of the range which other users on here have better advice or the photochromic lenses these work brilliant for me. I have never found a issue with the time it takes for the lense to change. Unfortunately poc have discontinued there photochromic NXT range, probably as been to expensive and not selling much. But bolle and Smith makes a more price competitive offer but I have not used these yet.

Next problem is steaming up which can be due a varying causes, poor ventilation on goggles, how the actual goggles integrates and ventilated with the helmet, the weather conditions even the individual person can steam up googles.

Unfortunately what works with one person may not work for another but generally i hear the brands mentioned above has best results.
latest report
Get a helmet with an integrated visor, no more misted glasses, can change visors depending on light levels, visor stops eyes streaming in wind and best of all can wear spectacles under visor as normal
latest report

I've used the ultra cheap sunnies from screwfix all week here in Andorra, apart from a couple of hours, it's been far too warm to wear goggles, I run much hotter than most & sweat from my head a lot so goggles become very uncomfortable in all but bitter cold and snow.
As far as the £2.49 sunnies go, I would actually say they are the best ski sunnies I've ever used, no streaming eyes from wind, super super lightweight & stay in place without additional cords & if they get scratched, just bin em & open a new pair
snow report
nahdendee wrote:
Get a helmet with an integrated visor, no more misted glasses, can change visors depending on light levels, visor stops eyes streaming in wind and best of all can wear spectacles under visor as normal

I have a Bolle and an Alpina with visors. The Bolle has exchangeable visors and the Alpina has a photochromatic lens.

Pro: Works really well for ventilation. especially if one has to wear glasses and OTG goggles is not a viable solution

Cons: In case of the Bolle, it is impractical to take both visors to the mountain. Eventually the yellow visor got scratched through travel etc. and no replacement visors are available. In case of the Alpina, the fancy lens started back up inside the lens itself, creating spots that made visibility difficult. I could not find any replacement local or online.

I originally bought mine because I wore glasses, but since having eye surgery, that is no longer a requirement and I went back to fancy photochromatic goggles. The only thing is that if you move fast through light-shade zones, the lenses needs a couple of seconds to adjust.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy