Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice for a skier and non skier gf

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve found some nice hotels in Zermatt with my budget, and I think it will be a superb option (been there during summer and we both loved it!)

It’s possible for her to come up the mountain so we will eat lunch together?

Is there a free ski bus through town? Because I saw many of the hotels not near to the ski lifts as I was expecting..

Is going by train from Zurich to Zermatt is a convenient way? Especially with ski bags and luggages..

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't been to Zermatt, but in our experience Swiss trains are highly convenient for anywhere. (If somewhere doesn't have its own station, there will be a bus timed to leave from the nearest station).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it didnt work for me and my non skiing other half, we went to mayrhofen, when i was skiing i felt a bit guilty leaving her on her own, although she said she was fine, and when i spent some of the day time with her, she felt guilty because she knew i would rather be skiing, so we agreed no more ski holidays together.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's been 5+ years since I have been but Zermatt is a good option and very convenient by train from Zurich. Its 3.5 to 4 hours with 1 or 2 changes. Yes possible to meet for lunch and there are walking tracks to some of the restaurants as well. The only caveat is they didnt used to have a pedestrian lift pass so your partner is paying full price. May have changed.

Other option I have done with a non skiing partner is the dolomites. Towns smaller but very pretty and good walking. Somewhere such as corvara or selva may work, especially if it's a nice hotel.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm pretty sure you can buy return pedestrian tickets for the main lifts in Zermatt. The price to get to the lower or middle altitude stations (Furi, Schwartzsee, Trockener Steg) should be reasonable, but a return trip up to the glacier won't be much less than a day's lift ticket

There is a ski bus through town, which I'm pretty sure is free. However, it's electric and size-limited, so most people walk. Note that many hotels have their own electric vehicle that will give complementary (though I suggest you tip) trips to the slopes.

Zurich airport to Zermatt by train is very convenient. You'll be able to do it with one change (in Brig), which probably run every hour.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If your GF is a keeper, why not invest in the future and go somewhere that is beginner friendly and get her into some classes?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte wrote:
If your GF is a keeper, why not invest in the future and go somewhere that is beginner friendly and get her into some classes?

I’ll answer that because I got many related questions about it.
She’s a keeper, we le live together for a few years, and travel a lot together. (Out last one was 1 month in Italy in October 21’).
My dream is that we will ski together, but she really don’t want to at the moment, and not ready for it (physically). I don’t want to push her, when she’ll feel ready, we will go to somewhere nice for beginners and I’ll let her doing classes/private classes, that’s not a problem…
But she has to feel good with it and ready for it, until she does, we couldnt ski together, and I don’t want to push her.

Yeah I know it’s kinda weird situation, but she’s really
Ok with waking up late, head over to cafés, and just walk on a nice ski town (she never been during winter).
She’s the one that suggested that, and I told her how it’s gonna be (that I’ll ski from 09-16:30) and she’s really excited of this holiday.
The other option was I’ll go by myself/with friends again (just got back from Val D’isere), and honestly we both prefer to be together in my next ski week, although she’s a non skier (for now!) and it’s kinda weird situation.

Hope I made myself clear, and you will understand our side Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From that list, I would remove Ischgl - I love Ischgl and have been there 21 times, but romantic and a target for shopping it is not Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife is a non skier and goes walking. I have to find resorts where there are groomed walking trails at altitude, which narrows it down quite a bit.

So far Les Gets had been the best.

Serre Chevalier was OK but all the walks were at valley level.

Most resorts in the 3 valleys fit the bill, but some lack character.

For March we have booked Saalback with a day trip to Zell planned.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
3 valleys has a specific lift map for walkers. Many of the lifts you get up and down are chairlifts. Some of the ski instructors were not aware this was possible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beny992 wrote:
Yeah I know it’s kinda weird situation, but she’s really
Ok with waking up late, head over to cafés, and just walk on a nice ski town (she never been during winter).
She’s the one that suggested that, and I told her how it’s gonna be (that I’ll ski from 09-16:30) and she’s really excited of this holiday.
The other option was I’ll go by myself/with friends again (just got back from Val D’isere), and honestly we both prefer to be together in my next ski week, although she’s a non skier (for now!) and it’s kinda weird situation.

Hope I made myself clear, and you will understand our side Smile

I really can't see anything wrong with that at all, could it be better than to both spend the week together happy in what you both do in such beautiful surroundings? Certainly not everyone may want to ski, that doesn't mean a trip to the mountains shouldn't be a very good holiday. I've been with people in a group that don't ski and where enchanted by being there in the winter, something to read, cafè etc and great evening spent with everyone else. They appreciated the serenity of it, the stunning views, clean air. There really isn't much to make any downside of.

Somewhere for the future too and you may be able to look at this trip, Cervinia has superb access for ski/non with very easy lunchtime meeting, great skiing, very good evening restaurant and some of the best coffee in the Alps. Ideal if tempted to even try skiing with hugely convenient beginner slope right in the village along with very good instruction available too. There's a great mix of attributes there for you both.

Hope the Zermatt trip goes well for you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ianvip wrote:
Many of the lifts you get up and down are chairlifts.
Yes we were there last year and we used some chairs as pedestrians - they slow them down for you as you get off.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You don’t say which hotel you have identified, but if it’s reasonably central it won’t be a long walk to either Sunnegga base station or the Gornergrat train. If it’s further south towards the Klein matterhorn/Schwarzee express lift then it will be a short walk to that lift but more likely a bus or taxi if you want to start your day at Sunnegga, for example. There are numerous restaurants that your girlfriend can access easily either at Furi, or at Riffelalp (Alphitta is a personal favourite) . The restaurants at Findeln below Sunnegga are also accessible y foot if she doesn’t mind walking down (there are Winter walking trails). Train tickets from Zurich can be bought on SBB.ch/en
The saver day pass is the one you want, one for each day of travel, these get more expensive the closer you get to the day of travel.
Have a great time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotsgirl wrote:
You don’t say which hotel you have identified, but if it’s reasonably central it won’t be a long walk to either Sunnegga base station or the Gornergrat train. If it’s further south towards the Klein matterhorn/Schwarzee express lift then it will be a short walk to that lift but more likely a bus or taxi if you want to start your day at Sunnegga, for example. There are numerous restaurants that your girlfriend can access easily either at Furi, or at Riffelalp (Alphitta is a personal favourite) . The restaurants at Findeln below Sunnegga are also accessible y foot if she doesn’t mind walking down (there are Winter walking trails). Train tickets from Zurich can be bought on SBB.ch/en
The saver day pass is the one you want, one for each day of travel, these get more expensive the closer you get to the day of travel.
Have a great time!

Thanks for information!
The hotels I’m interested are (from the most wanted to least):
1) Swiss Alpine Hotel Allalin - deluxe room with Matterhorn view looks gorgeous.
2) hotel alpenroyal
3) Hotel Ambiance Superior (looks good but a little bit out of my budget, will choose it only if it’s significantly better then others)

@scotsgirl, Any input on these hotels (especially location) would be appreciated!

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Left field thinking, just go on a beach holiday with her (if thats what she likes) & use the money saved to go a couple of ski weekends with mates
snow report
stodge wrote:
My wife is a non skier and goes walking. I have to find resorts where there are groomed walking trails at altitude, which narrows it down quite a bit.

So far Les Gets had been the best.

Serre Chevalier was OK but all the walks were at valley level.

Most resorts in the 3 valleys fit the bill, but some lack character.

For March we have booked Saalback with a day trip to Zell planned.

Saalbach is OK for walking but all the paths are up and down the valley (OH has walked there)

This year - 11 days time! - we are going to Zell as that seems better for walkers - there are paths up the mountain - along the main ridge and part way up at the top of the City Express gondola. And the lake can be walked round. We chose Zell probably more for her.

The best walking (me skiing) holiday she has had is Lauterbrunnen - loads of options both sides of the valley, though many walks are on paths shared with toboggans! Most boring, probably Obergurgl as there's only really one path. She enjoyed Mayrhofen as lots to do on the valley bottom.
latest report
The standard of hotels in Zermatt is generally high, and these are all good midrange hotels. Of those, I would probably go for the Alpenroyal as being the best compromise of proximity to a lift (the Sunnegga funicular) and also a short walk for your girlfriend to shops etc. The Allalin is extremely central, very close to the Church, so very good for shops bars etc but being right in the centre means it’s not close to any lift/train up the mountain which is inconvenient for you, and also your girlfriend if she wants to come up and join you for lunch. Staying close to Sunnegga is a good compromise, the funicular is right there, as is the bust stop to the Klein matterhorn lift and there are also usually electric taxis waiting as well.
The Alpenroyal used to be owned by the same people as the Schoenegg which is right across from it, and I think shares a lift from street level up to the hotel which is on a path reasonably high up and therefore with good views.
You might also want to consider the Parnass, Perren, Cheminee and Zer Mama hotels all close to the same location. We have stayed many times at the Perren although it has just changed hands so can’t vouch personally for it this Winter. Good luck!
snow conditions
@beny992 I too have a walking wife, used to ski but has onset of osteoporosis, so gave up. We always go to Jungfrau Region staying in Wengen as the hotel is great, with a pool and sauna and good food. We'll be there in just 3 weeks.

As others have said, the uplift is great for walkers and they can get a winter walking pass which is good for most pedestrian friendly lifts/trains except for the Schilthornbahn up above Murren. Walkers can get to virtually every restaurant with no problems.

There are great walks along the top of the west valley side from above Lauterbrunnen to Mürren and on up to Allmendhubel, around the Grütschalp area, down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen and Grindelwald (stunning walks), across from Mannlichen to K.S., down from Mannlichen to Grindelwald, a couple of the First side of the valley down into Grindelwald and up into the mountains behind.

The ski/walkers pass also allows a train trip to Interlaken Ost (East) to go shopping.

Good places to meet up include Allmendhubel (share a Schnitzel), Brandegg (apple fritters), Mannlichen, and Eigernordwand or the station at K.S.

As this is the place we go to most I would be pleased to find an alternative destination that my wife and I might also enjoy occasionally, although Jungfrau will be hard to beat.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
I wouldn't do it. It's an unfair expectation on both sides: you want to ski all day, your partner wants a 'proper' holiday. The danger is you both end up dissatisfied. Unless you can re-orient your expectations to be a holiday in the mountsins with perhaps a bit of skiing, then you could be wasting your money.

This. Killed a relationship this way.
snow conditions
@Kramer, hello!
latest report
@Hurtle, hello.
ski holidays
I would also give zell am see a look. Plenty to do, lots of walks, and the train is a short hop into salzburg for her to do some shopping
snow report
mikeelsa wrote:
I would also give zell am see a look. Plenty to do, lots of walks, and the train is a short hop into salzburg for her to do some shopping

Exactly where non skiing partner and me are going tomorrow. There are a couple of walks up the mountain and loads on the valley floor.
snow report
Quote:

the train is a short hop into salzburg for her to do some shopping

Does everyone assume that all women like shopping so much it's a high spot of holidays? In between the spells of being "pampered"?
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
LaForet wrote:
I wouldn't do it. It's an unfair expectation on both sides: you want to ski all day, your partner wants a 'proper' holiday. The danger is you both end up dissatisfied. Unless you can re-orient your expectations to be a holiday in the mountsins with perhaps a bit of skiing, then you could be wasting your money.

This. Killed a relationship this way.

I disagree. We did our first family ski holiday a couple of years ago with my non skiing husband. He loved it. Was perfectly happy going for a sauna, walking up the mountains and meeting us for lunch or a drink, catching up on Netflix in the afternoon; meeting us in a bar for apres ski. He enjoyed Austria so much we went back that summer and then he gave skiing a go this year (he thought it looked easy) and now we’re going next year.
Hope you have a fantastic holiday.

And I totally agree with your comment PamW!
snow report
@pam w, @Lozza1uk, hear hear
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy