Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help/suggestions needed re. urgent Crystal issue - RESOLVED!

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm having a fun evening! Stressful day at work, and I finally finish, look at my emails, and Crystal have decided to move me to a different hotel for my upcoming holiday in two weeks. They say their room allocation has been reduced...

Here's the real problem - they've only moved me, and not any of the friends I'm going with! To be fair, we all have different booking references - but obviously it's unaceceptable to me and my friends that I spend the entire week by myself in a totally different hotel (yes I can see them on the slopes - but not for any meals etc) Evil or Very Mad

I only saw the email after their phonelines had closed for the day too, aaargh. But I have the evening to plan.

So:
- I've replied to the email stating the new hotel is unacceptable and why
- I've provided them with the booking references of the others, and one has already emailed Crystal to say they also consider it unacceptable
- the hotel still has one room available on it's own website
- they were selling another single room in the same hotel just a few days ago - I've been booked for over 6 months.

Any tips for how I approach this tomorrow when the phonelines reopen? Yes, shouldn't have booked with Crystal etc - but my friends wanted the childcare, and I want to ski with my friends!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-02-22 15:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If they can't fit you into their hotel, or you into theirs - can they find accommodation where you will all fit?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, unfortunately there are limited options, due to the childcare requirements. We're travelling with 6 kids, all under 8, and in-hotel childcare is booked.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can’t particularly offer any advice on your situation except for the above advice but I did see on a thread from FB that this email address is being used successfully to sort a couple of issues - Team.Managers@tui.co.uk - might be useful if you can’t get through on the phone tomorrow?

I did get a response from Crystal via DM on Twitter when querying what to do if my lost bag didn’t reappear in time for my next trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chuckles3, thanks - I'll give that a try tomorrow if I can't get anywhere on the phone. I have already tweeted too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@fixx, so you're a solo traveler and your friends are a party of 8 or so. Is that right?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@fixx, No problem. For future reference, they can link bookings so you are seen as a group, even when booking separately. We usually travel as 3 couples & it seems to work well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@red 27, my booking is just for me. The others all booked as individual families, not together as one large group. It was due to each of us confirming at different times. One person had the idea and booked, others then decided to join in too. We were originally 20+, but some have delayed to next year.

@Chuckles3, we didn't know that - but I'll certainly get them to link the bookings when I speak to them tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fixx, Gotcha. Perhaps if Crystal won't / can't move you, you could request that you have dinner with your friends at their hotel.

Can't be beyond the wit of man for them to arrange that.

(I'm presuming you're all h/b, and the places are within walking distance of each other)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fixx, I think I’ve seen your tweet. Drop them a private message too on Twitter as they don’t seem to be answering public facing tweets. Got to be worth a try?

Not sure what’s going on with Crystal this season but they’ve dropped the ball big time. After our trip in 4 weeks we’ll def be reassessing our options for next year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@red 27, We have been looking at the other hotels in the area, to see where is close enough that a walk in the cold and dark by myself wouldn't be awful... But it's twice a day (breaskfast plus dinner), and essentially walking by myself late in the evening (ok, none of my friends would ever actually allow that - but it's not a fair ask when they're trying to get the kids to bed).

We have done something similar in the past with Ski esprit - I had our own apartment next block over, and joined the friends with kids in their hotel for dinner. That was very close though. Who knew wanting to holiday with friends and my 'nephews', but not stay in a room with the kids, would be so difficult? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@fixx, Yes I can see it's far from ideal..

Hopefully when Crystal realise you're effectively one big party they'll press the 'undo' key and get you back with your friends
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there an option to book a room in your chosen hotel that's refundable?
Could try that avenue, book it and if Crystal don't help ask for a refund/part refund if still using their flights.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alasdair.graham, we have been debating that - but it's the same cost as the entire holiday with Crystal! And even the 'flexible' tariffs aren't refunadable at all from 14 days before travel - which we hit tomorrow... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I realise I'm sounding very negative - I really do appreciate all the ideas and support!
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
I realise I'm sounding very negative - I really do appreciate all the ideas and support!

Look on the bright side - YOU'RE GOING SKIING! snowHead
snow report
@fixx,
Have Crystal said when their allocation was reduced?
Was your booking the last booking that Crystal took for that week? If not, why are you out and not the most recent booking?
Also, have you contacted the hotel to ask them three questions:
1: did they reduce the allocation to a booking position (a season long summary of the rooms Crystal had sold), a varying number of rooms, or did they reduce the allocation to a constant level across the season?
2: When did they communicate the reduction in allocation to Crystal?
3: Have Crystal asked for your booking (or any others) to be reinstated?

OK, tourops are having another bad winter with Covid, staffing levels and pent-up demand, but I'd like to take the view that they would communicate last minute major changes within a week of being told by their partners (in this case, the hotel) that there was a problem.

Good luck!
latest report
This happened to us in 2018, slightly different as three families with separate bookings and one family got moved. The family who were moved only got informed 24 hours earlier on the Friday before travel on Saturday.

We tried everything to all be in the same hotel to no avail, although as a single traveler you may have more success.

However they did arrange for us all to be able to eat at the original hotel together on an evening, not breakfast.

Good luck!
ski holidays
might help if you look at the changed accommodation & make a list of what differences there are between the hotels + the cost (not sure how you would get a cost at the time of booking), along with any other detrimental affects like not feeling safe to walk, so the extra expense of taxis. Or you part of the baby sitting team, so need to be at the hotel to babysit, etc. If all else fails, claim when you get home for loss of enjoyment, stress & worry.
Could do some snooping & see if anyone booked later than you. Clearly moved for operational reasons then.
latest report
@fixx, I would like to think that Crystal will do what they can to help you. As others have said it may be you can at least have dinner in the original hotel. You have not really said how far apart the hotels are, in my experience most resorts are pretty safe places so it is probably not that big a deal to walk from one hotel to another after dinner.

If you stand back from this though, what has happened is that your Tour Operator has given you 2 weeks notice that they have had to change your hotel. I am sure they included this eventuality in their terms and conditions. The fact that you have friends going to the same resort on separate bookings is completely irrelevant, after all how could they possible know? And why would they be expected to see this as unacceptable given your booking was only for you and you were aware of the terms and conditions when you booked?

I think an approach that recognises this is not the fault of Crystal, and avoid saying anything that suggests they have done anything that is unacceptable, is most likely to get you the outcome you desire. Make it clear what your problem is and how you think they might be able to help you. If there are rooms showing as available in your original hotel I would also contact them, explain the situation, and see if they are able to work it out with Crystal to get a room re-allocated to them for you. The hotel might see this as a win as they fill a room and gain a customer that will say nice things about them. In essence be nice and beg for help!
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Yes, shouldn't have booked with Crystal etc

I suspect virtually all other providers would do the same if they had a list of bookings, many with kids and a single booking, your going to be the first one to be moved as its easiest. I don't think this is a "crystal" specific issue although hopefully they can try and help as much as they can. As mentioned always link bookings if your going with others in the future.
snow conditions
Wise words from @zikomo IMHO.
ski holidays
Thanks all - really helpful thoughts! Yes, it will be a polite request more than anything else, and aiming for sympathy for the situation. Been on hold now for 1hr45mins though, since phonelines opened this morning!

I do have some sympthy for them re. the booking arrangements - but there is a limit. Crystal themselves advised that we all book separately due to the various room sizes and departure airports. We thought that was sensible given covid too, in case one familiy wanted to cancel but others didn't etc. And it was less than 10 rooms, so no group discount anyway.

And I've been on the phone to crystal before, and each time mentioned other bookings.
- 'it looks like the payment date has changed. What's the correct one? Am I ok to pass that on to all the other bookings in the group?'
- 'my card isn't being accepted online, but others in the group have done theirs ok - can I pay by phone now?'

At no point did anyone mention anything about linking bookings - though I know call centre operators don't know everything.

They have defnitely taken many more bookings for the same hotel since mine (last June). Including the same room size (we watched prices online), and rooms others in the group cancelled in favour of next year.

Fingers crossed I get through soon, and we can get a resolution. The rest of the group have emailed Crystal too, and are waiting to hear how I get on this morning!
latest report
@fixx, good luck. At least it's just on hold music, and it doesn't keep being interrupted by a recorded messages saying "Your call is important to us." It is really frustrating, though.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, just been cut off after 2 hours! Having to start again Crying or Very sad
latest report
@fixx have you tried pressing option two with Crystal. We had better luck getting through to someone using the extension for a new booking. Then when they picked up we mentioned out booking details and they sorted out issues. Managed to get through in five minutes twice first thing Sunday morning.
snow report
fixx wrote:
@sugarmoma666, just been cut off after 2 hours! Having to start again Crying or Very sad

I realised after 2 days that it was my mobile provider cutting me off after 2 days rather than Crystal Sad
snow report
@sugarmoma666, it might well be the case. I've been on hold for much longer with Crystal in the past - but that was in the UK, and I'm in France right now. And cut off on the 2 hour mark again. And am back on hold again! Unfortunately there's nothing else I can do while Im here, and I'm travelling tomorrow, so might not get anywhere until Monday Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grantley1988, great tip. I'll give it a go tomorrow - unfortunately that option seems to have been removed for today. It was there this morning, but not when I've had to call back.
latest report
Resolved!

Got through on the phone this morning, straight away. I was so shocked I'd forgotten what I was calling about Laughing

Initially not much progress, just 'yeah, we overbook a lot, we're a business, it's how it is. If someone cancels you'll be the first to know'. But eventually got a 'i'll talk to the hotel and reservations team and see what we can do' (they did have availability on their own website still this morning). I did stay polite, and we just talked through the issue.

And just got an email saying it's been sorted and I'm back in the original hotel Very Happy Very Happy and with some very kind apologies from them.

Bookings are also now 'linked', and the whole group is mightily relieved!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - it helped keep me sane(r!) while trying to get through snowHead snowHead

And my best wishes to anyone else with holidays booked with Crystal or others! May you all have lovely stress-free trips and endless snow snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Glad to hear that it's been sorted @fixx

Did you manage to get to the bottom of why you'd been bumped for a booking that was made considerably later?

Presumably it was because they could get more from double occupancy instead of your "subsidised" single occupancy?
snow report
@jebroni3_16, I was told I wasn't actually bumped for a later booking... Apparently there are only 2 'single' rooms in the hotel, and they'd sold both before my booking (June) - and continued to sell them several times over after that too.

Hence the 'yeah, we overbook a lot' comment.

It was also said that any other cancelled rooms in the past few months were immediately put back on sale rather than allocated against overbookings (when I pointed out that I knew sales had continued up until early last week, including and above the rooms my own friends had cancelled).

I don't know what to actually believe (other than they do overbook!), but I'm relieved it's sorted.
latest report
@fixx, Have a good holiday!
snow conditions
@fixx, Good result and fair play to Crystal
latest report
@fixx, Brilliant news, really pleased for you. The bit about the overbooking isn’t good though is it. Doesn’t give much confidence when booking in the future Shocked

Enjoy your trip Very Happy x
snow conditions
@fixx, Well done Crystal for sorting this for you.

Over-booking is common for all travel companies, and impossible to completely avoid. It is a fact of life I am afriad.
snow report
Well done, it's amazing how easily things can be achieved when you manage to actually talk to someone!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy