Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V season pass prices 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
It is being reported on the Valley Echo that new lift pass tariffs are going to be published on 1 Nov. The over 30 3V season pass is apparently going up to €1489 (Meribel valley €1138) and the <30 3V €1042.30 (Meribel valley €796).
It is also being reported that there will be no saisonnaire's discount and that there will be no free lift passes for over 75s from the 23/24 season. Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike S, any news on duo pass ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimottaret, looks like that's gone Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup-that seems to be the current price list. I confess I'd half expected it to be more.
The duo price reduction was never a great deal (€30 or €40 per person?). What I did resent this summer was having to stump up another 100 euros for a 3V pedestrian pass and to charge for La Masse, and Cime Caron after one free ticket for each. I guess that this will be the standard approach from hereon in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I believe Three Valleys is the same lift company as Paradiski and Tignes/Val. Why the big difference in season pass cost?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perty wrote:
Yup-that seems to be the current price list. I confess I'd half expected it to be more.
The duo price reduction was never a great deal (€30 or €40 per person?). What I did resent this summer was having to stump up another 100 euros for a 3V pedestrian pass and to charge for La Masse, and Cime Caron after one free ticket for each. I guess that this will be the standard approach from hereon in.

I second that. We were disappointed to learn that, on our summer trip to Val Thorens. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sbooker wrote:
I believe Three Valleys is the same lift company as Paradiski and Tignes/Val. Why the big difference in season pass cost?
That's not quite the case. The lifts in Paradiski and Tignes / Val d'Isere are part of Compagnies des Alpes, as are Meribel and Les Menuires in 3V. But Courchevel and Mottaret are operated by a different company: S3V. And Val Thorens is different again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's crazy. I wouldn't say it's a better area that the EK and that's considerably cheaper
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mother hucker wrote:
That's crazy. I wouldn't say it's a better area that the EK and that's considerably cheaper

As a 3 Valleys season pass regular I daren't ask how much a season pass is for EK rolling eyes .

Mind, our £1200+ pp for our 3V season pass doesn't look too bad when it gives us a week for free in Vail Resorts (worth about 500 quid each). Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, EK season pass for 2022-23 is 990€ versus 1489€ for 3V. We are being fleeced!

How many times have you taken up the benefits of skiing in Vail resorts or Valley Nevado?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy1234 wrote:
@Bergmeister, EK season pass for 2022-23 is 990€ versus 1489€ for 3V. We are being fleeced!

It's not good to look at these things, it'll just depress you. Especially if I tell you that the Paradiski is €730... (on the discounted early bird offer that they've offered for as long as I can remember)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Raceplate, Shocked you're right! Maybe our current deputy PM has some pills for depression Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Though it makes more sense if you look at the average property prices across the areas https://www.french-property.com/news/french_property_market/prices_ski_properties_alps_pyrenees

Can't believe that "lowly" La Tania is the 7th most expensive resort in France!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy1234 wrote:
@Raceplate, Shocked you're right!

You just need to reassure yourself that you're skiing in the equivalent of Surrey instead of Essex Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy1234 wrote:

How many times have you taken up the benefits of skiing in Vail resorts or Valley Nevado?

plus this season up to 8 y/o free
snow conditions
@Raceplate,
Quote:

You just need to reassure yourself that you're skiing in the equivalent of Surrey instead of Essex

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:

Must be a hangover from all the russians in 1850 with deep pockets
snow conditions
andy1234 wrote:
@Bergmeister,

February will be our 4th Vail resorts freebie Very Happy . We skied Valley Nevado in 2006 - but that was long before we were 3V season ticket holders.

We haven't ruled out our freebies in Japan or Australia at some point in the future, however wink .
snow conditions
andy1234 wrote:

Shocked Sad
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
February will be our 4th Vail resorts freebie Very Happy

Can't help thinking that you are in a teeny tiny minority in actually using that benefit... I've always seen it as little more than a marketing gimmick on both sides of the pond.

Personally, I'd far rather have a lower price and the two free days in either the PSki or EK that they used to give out with the 3V season pass. Was always nice to have an away day for a change of scene and a reminisce about other areas I used to ski before committing long term to the 3Vs.
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
February will be our 4th Vail resorts freebie Very Happy

Can't help thinking that you are in a teeny tiny minority in actually using that benefit... I've always seen it as little more than a marketing gimmick on both sides of the pond.

I agree. We're not aware of anyone else who has made use of the Vail resorts freebie.

We are however aware of 2 or 3 couples who have used their Epic Pass to ski the 3 Valleys (strangely, they get 7 days free - versus our 6...); and we bumped into half a dozen Americans in Zermatt last year who were skiing there on their Ikon season passes.

We've had 3Vs passes since 2017 - which, I think, was the last time we got 2 free days in EK and Paradiski. We tried using our passes in Tignes in December but were advised that we were "too early," which was somewhat frustrating. Sadly we didn't get to use any of our free days in France that season.

I wonder why they abolished that arrangement? Grrrrrr! rolling eyes

Am I right in thinking the 3Vs season pass also gave holders a few free days skiing in Zermatt in the past? Puzzled
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
We're not aware of anyone else who has made use of the Vail resorts freebie. We are aware of 2 or 3 couples who have used their Epic Pass to ski the 3 Valleys

I can see a small number of Americans making use of it as part of a once-in-a-lifetime European ski trip, and particularly on the basis of the French megaresorts being on a scale they cannot experience anywhere else. But it cannot be many when US paid holiday allowances (from their employer) are so small compared to Europe and most US skiing is weekend based rather than a week's vacation.

But French people going to Colorado to ski when they can drive to their Alps in a few hours? It's just not in their culture.

Bergmeister wrote:
I wonder why they abolished that arrangement? Grrrrrr! rolling eyes

Am I right in thinking the 3Vs season pass also gave holders a few free days skiing in Zermatt in the past? Puzzled

Politics. AIUI, it was because the various lift companies couldn't agree on an appropriate balancing charge for any imbalance in the numbers of people using their away days in EK vs PSki etc. I guess far more people from e.g. S3V (Courchevel & Meribel) would use it than those from Sevabel (VT/LM) as you can drive to Champagny in about 20 minutes from the lower parts of Courchevel. And overall, I think far more PSki season pass holders were using their free days than anyone else. Stands to reason as they're the middle area and can easily go in either direction. But because their day pass is the cheapest, EK (possibly?) and 3V (definitely) wanted an additional credit.

Never heard of Zermatt though. And I skied Zermatt at the end of the 04/05 season when I had a 3V pass so maybe it was a very long time ago. Pre electronic passes, the old credit system used to be two marks on your season pass receipt, EK and PS, and the alternative ski area lift office just hole punched out the relevant mark when you presented it for their area's day pass!
latest report
If it is correct that no free passes for over 75s from 2023-4 season I am stumped. I have waited years to qualify as the age for free pass was 65 when I started skiing 3V and has gone up and up. I will be 75 on 23 Dec 2023! Mr Mogulski has had 1 season free and hopefully the coming season too. I bet once we get to being 80 it will go up again or are they completely scrapping free passes? We both got free passses in Andorra a few years ago when it was over 70 but that has gone up too. It really affects where we choose to ski and were looking forward to free 3V.
ski holidays
@mogulski, I agree! You've just made the other point that I was going to make Very Happy

I have some way to go but I have often said to people that my ambition is to get that free season pass, it's motivational! But I have also watched as the age keeps going up and can't help thinking it will be soon be 80+ and by the time I'm that age... well. And once it gets that high, you'll get more politics because they could easily be accused of encouraging people to ski that actually shouldn't be skiing and it's dangerous.

Perhaps a more realistic option is to see them giving a significant reduction to over 75s in the same way as they do to under 30s (which I definitely see as age discrimination against the over 30s!).
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
andy1234 wrote:
@Bergmeister,

February will be our 4th Vail resorts freebie Very Happy . We skied Valley Nevado in 2006 - but that was long before we were 3V season ticket holders.

We haven't ruled out our freebies in Japan or Australia at some point in the future, however wink .

Out of interest, how much does it cost you (travel, accommodation, food etc) to use your Vail freebie?
ski holidays
@Raceplate, You should go look at the prizegiving at a Masters race. The over 80s podiums are still quite spritely.
snow report
@rjs, I will use that as additional motivation! Laughing
ski holidays
Looks like the €1,489 season price is confirmed with no further increase. The S3V online purchase system is live at that price... (Weekly prices have gone up though.)
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
andy1234 wrote:
@Bergmeister,

Out of interest, how much does it cost you (travel, accommodation, food etc) to use your Vail freebie?

Here is the link to the trip report from our last visit, which includes info on pricing and expenditure:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4575755&highlight=colorado#4575755

We are planning a similar trip in February, with another trip to Silverton (3 days skiing) tagged on again. However, suffice to say that the state of the pound isn't helping our budget this time. Sad We are therefore planning a 2 week trip, versus 3 weeks last time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
EK season pass for 2022-23 is 990€ versus 1489€ for 3V. We are being fleeced!
Not at all! It's 600km of piste vs 250km. On that basis, €2,000 a pop would be entirely reasonable Laughing
snow report
I think that it is highly likely that the EK season pass will go up too. The website currently states: ' Ski pass prices 2022 / 2023* *Rates given for information only and subject to change due to changes in the cost of energy.'

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 20-10-22 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Not at all! It's 600km of piste vs 250km. On that basis, €2,000 a pop would be entirely reasonable Laughing

How about length of season in that equation to even it up.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
andy1234 wrote:
@Bergmeister,

Take it from an Australian. Do not travel to Australia for skiing. Far too unpredictable.
ski holidays
Quote:
Though it makes more sense if you look at the average property prices across the areas https://www.french-property.com/news/french_property_market/prices_ski_properties_alps_pyrenees

Apartment prices in Tignes are shown in the above link as €4k per sq metre, which is way off the mark - ie far too low.

ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

How about length of season in that equation to even it up.

Score draw. Both areas are usually open from November to May.
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
andy1234 wrote:
@Bergmeister,

Take it from an Australian. Do not travel to Australia for skiing. Far too unpredictable.

Thanks SB. I'm aware of that, so wouldn't base a trip around the skiing - but would ski if we were there and conditions were decent.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:

summer skiing was a none starter also this seasin
snow report
Quote:
But when it's good, it's brilliant. We struck lucky with conditions on our first visit to Oz in July 2015 - had a great time in a few days at Perisher and Thredbo as part of a three week trip Very Happy

snow conditions
@sbooker, It may be that 3V season pass holders use their passes more than EK season pass holders. The 3V has multiple cheapish places, Bozel, Brides les Bains, the Orelle valley, whereas EK doesn't really have an equivalent cheap base. It may be that there are plenty of retired/semi retired/WFHers in these places skiing much more than your typical seasonaire with maybe 2 days of skiing a week. On top of that, when I ski in the 3V I reckon that I clock up more vertical metres than in the EK as I spend more time searching out fun bits of off piste or skiing trickier terrain comparatively slowly in the EK whereas I tend to focus on fast piste skiing in the 3V. If you add those two factors together its plausible that an average 3V season pass holder clocks up 50% more lift usage than an EK pass holder. That could explain the price difference, or maybe they just charge more because they feel they can. I would imagine that a lot more 3V season passes are sold compared to EK ones, even if divided by number or lifts/km of pistes
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Puzzled Puzzled

I'm stumped. What's the connection between summer skiing and EK/3V having a winter season of equivalent length? Puzzled

Am I missing something? Puzzled
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Puzzled Puzzled

I'm stumped. What's the connection between summer skiing and EK/3V having a winter season of equivalent length? Puzzled

Am I missing something? Puzzled

Officially the EK season pass also includes the autumn season in Tignes (mid October to end of November) proof to the winter EK season, Tignes' "stolen" week after the EK links shut and the summer season in both Tignes & Val D'Isere (mid June to end of July). Pity the weather doesn't always play ball. Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy