Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ehic Ghic To go to France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can somebody explain if either EHIC or GHIC still apply to a UK citizen traveling to France.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. Both still apply.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok I didn't understand that you just apply and they decide if you are eligible for Ehic or Ghic.

Thanks all applied for now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EHIC can be used unless it has expired, when you need a GHIC.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your EHIC has expired and you need a new one, you get a GHIC.

It's got a Union Jack emblazoned right across the front of it, another Brexit dividend! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it possible to have both an EHIC and a GHIC card? Or do you need to wait for EHIC to expire first?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AlwaysFalling1, Don't know, but you don't need both. The only difference I can see is the design of the card.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi wrote:

It's got a Union Jack emblazoned right across the front of it, another Brexit dividend! wink

I hope they change it before I have to get one in ~12 months time, it looks so ugly compared to the previous simple design!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The EHIC design was a common EU format and was functional, not political.
I note that the layout and content of the GHIC is the same as the EHIC, so it looks like we are following EU rules. Wait a minute - how did that happen?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Except it covers more countries than the old eu one did.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't see the issue with the design. Previously we had EHIC, which was an EU card so natural for the EU emblem. Now we're not EU so anything similar (hint GHIC) would have GB emblem, why ever not? I'm not sure if it is political; we can't use the EU version because we're not in the club (much as we might like still to be) anymore and not entitled to fly the EU flag.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bigsurfer, Thanks for posting this thread, totally forgot about mine, and.........of course as its been "a wee while" since I was skiing mine had lapsed.

5 mins on the site to order new GHIC, not sure when it will arrive, but the system seemed simple enough. Just need your NI number etc.

https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/cra/start?sessionExpired=true
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GreenDay wrote:
@bigsurfer, Thanks for posting this thread, totally forgot about mine, and.........of course as its been "a wee while" since I was skiing mine had lapsed.

5 mins on the site to order new GHIC, not sure when it will arrive, but the system seemed simple enough. Just need your NI number etc.

https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/cra/start?sessionExpired=true

This for me too. I knew EHIC was expiring but didn't know when (seems it was sometime last year Toofy Grin ). I hope never to use GHIC of course Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in the same position in early December and the replacement GHIC cards arrived within 5 days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robs1 wrote:
Except it covers more countries than the old eu one did.

Except it doesn't - another Brexit fib. It may do in the future.
My other point was that we have 'borrowed' the format from the EU one, so we're going along with the EU standard, (without paying) but not, of course, following EU rules, honest. A bit like that little 'e' you see on loads of food packages, which says the product is weighed or measured according to EU standards. And the UKCA mark which replaces the CE mark, but which is... er...kind of the same.. anyway: severe thread drift here I think.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Can't see the issue with the design. Previously we had EHIC, which was an EU card so natural for the EU emblem. Now we're not EU so anything similar (hint GHIC) would have GB emblem, why ever not? I'm not sure if it is political; we can't use the EU version because we're not in the club (much as we might like still to be) anymore and not entitled to fly the EU flag.

Personal preference I guess, but the EU one is minimal and simple, small EU logo in the corner, clean colours and lines. Nothing fancy - very functional like an insurance card should be. The new GHIC has a massive bright waving union flag across the whole card behind the text boxes. Poor design, looks messy and cluttered.

ski holidays
+1
snow report
I advise taking a photo' of your GHIC just in case you lose it or don't have it with you. In Switzerland we were told that healthcare administrators are really only interested in the information on it, not the card itself (it's not like a bank card with any chip and logic on it) so even if you lost it, or didn't have it with you, you'd still be OK as long as you can provide the data.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy