Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mt Ski Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all. Looking for some recommendations for an all mountain ski (my first ski purchase). I am in my second season skiing, getting out about 20 days a year. I am comfortable on blue runs during weekend trips to the Summit County Mountains, along with occasional trips to Steamboat/Park City/Crested Butte. I'm 6'3" and 225lbs, and am looking for a ski I can continue to improve on. I've heard good things about the Enforcer 100 and 104, as well as the Icelantic 105 and Pioneer 96. Would any of these skis be a good fit, or are there other recommendations? Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there and welcome.

My view is this:

You are still fairly new to the sport, so I think you would be better off getting something a bit narrower, as it is much easier to improve the basics on a more Piste oriented ski than what you have listed.

If you were in Europe, I would recommend that you get a Piste ski....but you are in areas known for powder, which I think may change things a little.

What is the deepest snow you come across? What percentage of Off Piste do you intend doing?

I would be going as narrow as you can get away with, depending on the skiing you are doing. That might be somewhere between 80 and 93.

At your height and weight, you will need something reasonably substantial.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One thing @Old Fartbag, missed is do you have your own boots.

Well fitting boots will usually make more difference than skis and are much harder to get via rental, given they are usually customised and the liners mould to your feet as you use them, so usually should be bought before skis.

Though you do need to find a good boot fitter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
qwerty360 wrote:
One thing @Old Fartbag, missed is do you have your own boots.

Well fitting boots will usually make more difference than skis and are much harder to get via rental, given they are usually customised and the liners mould to your feet as you use them, so usually should be bought before skis.

Though you do need to find a good boot fitter.

Absolutely - Boots before skis is the preferable way to go.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was much taken by the Whitedot Altums on a ski test. They might be worth trialling if you can find some in America.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@COSkier, Welcome to Snowheads. I'm with @Old Fartbag, on this. All Mountain Ski = Not very good at anything! If you're 80% trails and 20% side-piste/powder, go for a good piste-performance ski. On Piste/Trail it is about Edging and Rotation to steer, so a little narrower will help improve technique, say no more than 90mm under foot. For the odd day you're skiing Powder (2-4 out of 20?) the key steering element is Pressure, so hire and go large, maybe 100-110 for your build. If I had to pick one for you, I'd recommend the Head Kore 85X. Great transition ski, not too pricey and a ripper on the piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the OP is in the US they will be skiing inbounds, any terrain or snow depth, not mainly groomed pistes as we are used to in Europe. I would think AM would be appropriate under the circumstances.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy