Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

semi circular marks on bases ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There was a thread on here about the marks which a rotoflex can leave on bases - not something which I possess since I work things by hand - and I saw these skis on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115231067359?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Df447e05971ff4aa6b859096191e92b35%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D115231067359%26itm%3D115231067359%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DV%EF%BF%BDlkl&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A00b6770c-8479-11ec-b0b3-7af8576a47c4%7Cparentrq%3Abc97e39017e0ab9e550da65bffffd11a%7Ciid%3A1

...and they have weird striations which I have not seen before. In the past, I have acquired skis which have been severely distorted by use on dry slopes - essentially by the extreme heat of use on plastic. Is it that? Or rotoflex use? On unpolished base grind? etc.
Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like they have been attacked with a rotary disk floor polisher!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And it's an awful lot of money for secondhand kids skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@telford_mike, ...it is indeed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's some sort of fancy spring structure I think. Looks like its fairly standard for a Montana machine

https://www.montana-international.com/en/technology/stone-grinding/

Still too much for used kids skis
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, ...very interesting DotM. Thanks for posting that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Too much money and despite grinding they look in terrible condition.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes it's a base structure. Bit like a tyre tread to get excess water to move to the edge of the ski in medium warm conditions. Except it's to reduce friction caused by capillary action, whereas for tyres you want the opposite.Total waste of time to mess about with that on most skis, let alone kids skis. But there is nothing wrong with them (except the general condition and price).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hyperkub, might they have had a base grind to remove any nasty repairs before sale?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think it was done recently judging by the state of the skis. Probably just got stuck in the machine with whatever profile setup they had been using. Normally for cheap skis you just use a simple linear profile.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, ah....Spring structure...was just thinking that through and thought ‘boing’ first then understood, structure for Spring skiing. I hate ‘stop-go’ skiing at Easter, as stiction/suction grabs a ski...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy