Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foot Pain / Foot Bed lifespan

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from short trip and was experiencing some significant foot pain throughout the entirety of the soles of my feet, equally and on both feet -

Boots are relatively new (pre-Covid) and were fitted locally by a reputable fitter circa 2019 and last used for the first time in Feb 2020. Because I was moving into exactly the same shell (stiffer flex model) to my previous boot (purchased and fitted 2015) and although the liners on the new boot were a little thicker / sportier, the same custom foot beds were inserted - these will have been 4yrs old at the time / 7-8wks use.

When I skied with my new boots (for the first time) in 2020 I did experience a bit of 'gyp' midweek and got these checked by an Austrian bootfitter who did mess around re-heating the shell and made them comfy for the remainder of the week - however this trip I've started to experience a whole new level of pain. Weird because the boots fit like a glove - no heel movement, nice across the tops of my feet, no pressure anywhere, can wiggle my toes slightly - genuinely feel 'locked in' etc. First few runs no probs, then after morning coffee the next run is hell and only alleviates when sitting down etc . . .

Q - Could it be the foot-bed itself and do these need checking? ie they are past their sell-by or has my foot shape changed etc?. Have put on a bit of holiday weight over Covid but nothing too disturbing - HELP!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Belch, Were is the pain in your foot exactly? That would help narrow down potential causes.

Also have you changed weight/changed exercise regime significantly? Might be your feet have changed quite a bit over the last could of year!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, what sort of pain? - Cramp? Bruising? General aching?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zikomo wrote:
@Belch, Were is the pain in your foot exactly? That would help narrow down potential causes.

Also have you changed weight/changed exercise regime significantly? Might be your feet have changed quite a bit over the last could of year!

All over the entire sole of each foot and on both feet 'equally' - sensation is sharp pain, almost like putting your feet in a shallow frying pan of hot oil . . (not that I've ever tried this but you get the picture)
Being honest I am not as fit as previously and probably about a stone heavier - these are 130 flex boots but I'm also not skiing as aggressively . . .as previous boots are generally 'dialled in' but after a few easy runs (and when putting a bit more hammer down) the pain starts . . .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
could it be your feet & not your boots?
Problem is, with covid it is almost impossible to see a podiatrist. Could used to 'walk in' & self refer around here.
Now it is referral only & a 26 week wait!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Using a little pressure, can you roll a tennis or golf ball along the sole of your feet and see what pain there is?

I take it the 2 buckles across the top of the boots are as loose as they can be (without opening).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
Using a little pressure, can you roll a tennis or golf ball along the sole of your feet and see what pain there is?

I take it the 2 buckles across the top of the boots are as loose as they can be (without opening).

Haven't tried this (golf ball technique) - if there's pain what does that mean / no pain what does that mean etc? Re buckles always have the 2x 'toe' buckles loose (simple finger flick) and the ankle / power strap cranked . .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
Problem is, with covid it is almost impossible to see a podiatrist. Could used to 'walk in' & self refer around here.

Never been to a podiatrist! What would they be looking for exactly . . . ? Don't have pain in normal walking boots / shoes / trainers / feet in general
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Belch wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Haven't tried this (golf ball technique) - if there's pain what does that mean / no pain what does that mean etc? Re buckles always have the 2x 'toe' buckles loose (simple finger flick) and the ankle / power strap cranked . .

If there are very tender spots eg. Along arch/Just in front of the heel/Along outside edge, it "May" mean tightness in the muscles, which "could" be an issue. Keep using the massage until the tight spots disappear and see if this helps.

If there are no tender spots, then look elsewhere for the issue.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tightness of muscles in general does make sense - haven't been keeping up with stretches as after one cancelled trip already this season this one was a little out of the blue.

Do you think footbed is irrelevant? Should they be lasting a lot longer anyway . . .?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Belch wrote:
Tightness of muscles in general does make sense - haven't been keeping up with stretches as after one cancelled trip already this season this one was a little out of the blue.

Do you think footbed is irrelevant? Should they be lasting a lot longer anyway . . .?

I am not an expert, so my comments should be read in that light.

IME. Due to a footbed being more "aggressive" than a normal shoe footbed - it is possible, that if there are tight spots on your feet, then there may be enough pressure from the footbeds to trigger pain/cramp.

If this is the case, it may not be the footbeds that are the issue, but overly tight muscles on the soles of the feet.

It is a longshot, but worth ruling out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Belch, This kind of pain could be muscular related/foot changing shape.

Most common cause though is a circulation problem. Does it alleviate when sitting down or only when you unclip your boots? Were you particularly nervous on your last trip, perhaps the stiffer boots making you feel a bit out of sorts? This can sometimes cause scrunching of the feet and leaning on the back of the cuffs, both of which can cause foot pain. I would start by going back to the boot-fitter and explaining the problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zikomo wrote:
@Belch, This kind of pain could be muscular related/foot changing shape.

Most common cause though is a circulation problem. Does it alleviate when sitting down or only when you unclip your boots? Were you particularly nervous on your last trip, perhaps the stiffer boots making you feel a bit out of sorts? This can sometimes cause scrunching of the feet and leaning on the back of the cuffs, both of which can cause foot pain. I would start by going back to the boot-fitter and explaining the problem.

I was def skiing more 'gingerly' . . primarily because I run my own business these days and being injured is not really a good option! Boringly my sister (who I was skiing with) is an instructor and she mentioned I was backing off a lot and not flexing knees into turns as previously (a lot more upright than normal etc)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Belch, Try and see your boot-fitter to check there is nothing wrong with the fit.

But from what you said I think this is caused by a combination of not being used to stiff boots and not being as forward/aggressive as you should be. Skiing "gingerly" is a sure way to get injured rather than avoid being injured! Commit to the turn, get forward using flex of knees and most important ankles and all will be fine. And be sure to consciously relax your feet when skiing, you might be unconsciously be scrunching and "gripping" with your toes as a little nervous, which is a sure way to get foot pain!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Belch, Footbeds should last longer than yours - I get far more use out of them. Could your feet have changed in the last two years? I ask because I think that is what has happened to mine. My boots fitted perfectly until Covid hit, having skied season in the alps until then. This season we had two weeks in Andorra, and I have two black toenails. My suspicion is that with Covid I have not worn ski boots, or other properly supportive footwear as much, spending lots of time in sandals which do not support my arches as much, allowing my arches to collapse slightly, making my foot longer. Could something similar have happened to your feet?
latest report
Belch wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Never been to a podiatrist! What would they be looking for exactly . . . ? Don't have pain in normal walking boots / shoes / trainers / feet in general

Neuromas or degenerative conditions.
ski holidays
it could be numerous things, mostly we are finding that people did one of 2 things for the last couple of years...
they either sat on the couch drinking wine and eating chocolate or took up cycling / running / walking

whatever they did it didn't involve many of them putting boots on, feet change, and with 2 years of non skiing for most and wearing trainers at best or no shoes at all

the footbed should be fine with the 7-8 weeks use but if the feet have changed or it has been on a boot warmer over night then things could be messed up, certainly worth getting the whole thing checked out

in terms of the pain you are getting they could be very well related to a tight calf muscle or other restriction at the ankle joint, again a full assessment will reveal if that is the cause but it is certainly very common
snow report
Lack of ROM at the ankle and general lack of flexion up thru the lower leg chain .

Thats why you have footpain .

A credit card doesnt buy this although it could buy a ski specific physical training program .

Some are lucky they just need a bit of lower leg stretching others may require alot more over a longer period of time .

Ellisbrig cant sell fitness/flexion to ski .
Footbeds help to stabilise the foot in the boot they wont increase ROM at the ankle
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
it could be numerous things, mostly we are finding that people did one of 2 things for the last couple of years...
they either sat on the couch drinking wine and eating chocolate or took up cycling / running / walking

whatever they did it didn't involve many of them putting boots on, feet change, and with 2 years of non skiing for most and wearing trainers at best or no shoes at all

the footbed should be fine with the 7-8 weeks use but if the feet have changed or it has been on a boot warmer over night then things could be messed up, certainly worth getting the whole thing checked out

in terms of the pain you are getting they could be very well related to a tight calf muscle or other restriction at the ankle joint, again a full assessment will reveal if that is the cause but it is certainly very common

Interesting. . . in terms of your accurate (!) descriptor I fell into the former category; working for myself and from home I've been pretty much in flip flops - have got that used to them so much I even bought them on my recent ski trip to 'loaf about' in . . .maybe my feet have changed! Don't think the boot stiffness is an issue - they are a soft 130 anyway (Salomon XPro 130) and don't 'feel' that much stiffer than my previous pimped 100's - my flexion is not that bad; I used to do drop exercises on the edge of the stairs however I do have fairly stiff calves and make sure these are stretched as much as poss . . .
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
@Belch, Try and see your boot-fitter to check there is nothing wrong with the fit.

But from what you said I think this is caused by a combination of not being used to stiff boots and not being as forward/aggressive as you should be. Skiing "gingerly" is a sure way to get injured rather than avoid being injured! Commit to the turn, get forward using flex of knees and most important ankles and all will be fine. And be sure to consciously relax your feet when skiing, you might be unconsciously be scrunching and "gripping" with your toes as a little nervous, which is a sure way to get foot pain!

Absolutely understand that but was def not gripping . . I'm really conscious about applying gentle pressure on the balls of my feet and sometimes lift my toes up slightly to exacerbate this method if the conditions get tricky. Boot stiffness fine (based on previous 2020 trip) and definitely improved my 'arc completion' and turns in general at the time. . .like other posters have intimated - maybe it is my feet that have changed?
snow report
@Belch, If you have tight calves, ideally you need to get a Trigger Point roller (or equivalent), as well as doing Calf and Achilles stretches.....and follow the Trigger Point Video on YouTube. It hurts like hell, but things will improve over time.
snow conditions
Belch wrote:
CEM wrote:

Interesting. . . in terms of your accurate (!) descriptor I fell into the former category; working for myself and from home I've been pretty much in flip flops - have got that used to them so much I even bought them on my recent ski trip to 'loaf about' in . . .maybe my feet have changed! Don't think the boot stiffness is an issue - they are a soft 130 anyway (Salomon XPro 130) and don't 'feel' that much stiffer than my previous pimped 100's - my flexion is not that bad; I used to do drop exercises on the edge of the stairs however I do have fairly stiff calves and make sure these are stretched as much as poss . . .

its not boot stiffness its YOU stiffness in the ankle joint that causes most of the issues, stretches' are a start but foam rolling and fascial release is the key
snow conditions
@CEM, would you recommend I undertake a foam rolling regime BEFORE I get boots / custom insoles looked at?

My (very) local is Lockwoods but you guys are not a million miles away - I've got another trip 2nd week March
latest report
If you've been in jandals a lot then your feel will be a bit of a different shape. Once you ram them into shells and put a footbed under them they will for sure complain. Flexibility is important - foam roller below your calves, do calf strengthening, use a wobble board to mobilise your ankles. Do some tea towel scrunching with your toes every day as that will help tune up your feet a bit. Your calves have a major bearing on the structures under your feet so the more strong and flexible they are the less work your foot does and its only got very small compensating muscles. Time in boots is really also important sadly !
snow report
Belch wrote:
@CEM, would you recommend I undertake a foam rolling regime BEFORE I get boots / custom insoles looked at?

My (very) local is Lockwoods but you guys are not a million miles away - I've got another trip 2nd week March

Having flexibility is good, we are at a point in the season where we are sending people away with no boots if they don't have enough flexibility, simple reason is we can't put you in the correct size of boot and not have it not cause you pain if you don't have adequate flexibility

no boot fitter goes out to cause someone pain, and lack of ankle joint flexibility is the single most common cause of numerous problems in ski boot, a lot of the problem is some people don't want to own the problem they just want the boot fitter to wave a wand and take the pain away, some of the time we can, but it is a collaboration Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy