Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort for blue runs

Poster: A snowHead
I’m just wondering if anyone can recommend any European resorts, that have great blue runs? But also have stuff for a non skier to do too?

We like courchevel, but I kind of want to try somewhere different.

For next jan/feb time.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arcs, just a bit further down the valley, some great cruisy blues, Mont Blanc probably being the best.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alta Badia
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with above - Les Arcs is great, as is La Plagne for good blues - worth the area pass. Both have access for non skiers to get about and buses to get the non skiers for lunch. I like Les Arcs a lot.

Mont Blanc and Renard in LA are probably two of the best cruises anywhere, but it has masses of great intermediate skiing - the former on a bluebird day, as its name suggests, has Mont Blanc in view all the way - it's pretty iconic cruising.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cervinia. Lots of very long blue runs and usually great snow conditions. High altitude, so not much in the trees.

I also like Morillon 1100 and that also has some great blue run skiing in the trees shared with Les Carroz (which is also a pretty good place to stay and with more to do for non-skiers). And you can also ski over to Flaine, but that's more red run territory.

I'm never too sure what non-skiers are looking for so difficult to comment.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For non-skiers + blues. Cortina, St Moritz, Kitzbuhel (a Whitegold tribute)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Skioilers, I like the villages mentioned above, would add Val Cenis to the list.

In VC, you can reach and ski back from the highest point all on blue piste, making it excellent for those needs. Village has pool, skating, cinema, really good food at decent cost etc.
Day out, local bus, to Bonneval sur Arc a historic village further along to valley end (great pictures if you search) to spend a day for non skier or to ski as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morzine/Les Gets, that's where people who can't ski go for a ski holiday. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 31-01-22 17:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Wildsmith, second Cortina and Kitsbuhel, given the non skiing angle. You need lots of Cash if shopping in either place though, and St Moritz as well I’m sure( not been there)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
twoodwar wrote:
@Wildsmith, second Cortina and Kitsbuhel, given the non skiing angle. You need lots of Cash if shopping in either place though, and St Moritz as well I’m sure( not been there)
Best not to buy, yes, shopping is fun and loads to do & see imv!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was very tempted, years ago, by a mink-lined trenchcoat in Cortina. I thought it was SO much less vulgar than flashing the mink on the outside of a coat.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, you may find yourself arrested for "flashing the mink" anywhere in polite company, or beaver for that matter Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a look at Ski Welt. Almost no blacks, pretty large amount of terrain, and multiple town
bases for lodging with different profiles to choose from. All interconnected and if you're
industrious it's possible to ski over to Kitzbuhel. Disadvantage is that it's low in altitude.

May not be that much to do in many of the towns, but depending on where you stay, getting to either Kufstein
or Worgl allows a fairly quick train to either Salzburg or Munich, can do a day trip with ease. From Brixen im
Thale, 10 min train ride to Kitzbuhel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

We have often been to scheffau or ellmau in the skiwelt. My dad wants to go to ellmau, as he is my skiing buddy and will be paying I think that’s where we’re going lol, unless I can convince otherwise.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sella Ronda area generally. Most of the skiing in the Corvara / Colfosco area is in the valleys due to the steep sided mountains and it therefore quite cruisy.

Most stunning scenery but also quite pricey. You get what you pay for.
snow report
I would add in Megeve - it doesn't have to be as expensive as its reputation.
latest report
I think La Grave has the highest proportion of blue pistes of anywhere I have come across. Very good vertical and decent altitude as well though some may say they don't coalesce perfectly.
snow report
Take a look at Alpe di Suisi (Seiser Alm) in the Val Gardena valley. It's a beautiful high plateau with miles of blues, uninterrupted sunshine (unless cloudy Razz ) and stunning eateries which are great value. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Skioilers, Ski Welt will be perfect - all runs are nice and moderate
snow conditions
I can also recommend the Tirol Lodge in Ellmau by the main lift. Close enough to town for dinners and so easy for the lift in the morning. Plus has an outdoor pool.
ski holidays
I'd thoroughly recommend the Alta Badia area of the Dolomites. The Pralongia plateau above Corvara/La Villa/San Cassiano will suit you perfectly. Amazing scenery and the best mountain restaurants in the ski world.
snow conditions
@T Bar, technically correct but also utterly misleading Eh oh!
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
I would add in Megeve - it doesn't have to be as expensive as its reputation.

+1

Just dont go shopping Laughing

But the town is beautiful, I'd be wary of going too early in Jan (poss travel restrictions if like this year) but they do have a super Christmas tree if you can
ski holidays
@Skioilers, What does the non skier want to do? My non skier friend is heavily into ice climbing. If your non skiing friend is into ice climbing then Glencoe may be the best option.

@Minion1980, Mont Blanc is indeed a beautiful run but with a pitch of 24 degrees it is on the steep side for a blue. SOme of the nearby reds are equally good. Somewhere else someone mentioned Arolles, the next route along as being very good.

I have been shopping in Cortina and found it little different from elsewhere in Italy price wise, but then I was after climbing equipment and a watch battery. In fact I found it less expensive than Alleghe. I was not looking for a mink coat.
snow report
Quote:

I'm never too sure what non-skiers are looking for so difficult to comment

This. My non-skiing mother came skiing with us when the kids were small. She did a little child-minding, cooked lunches, and loved walking on the flat and having a coffee and cake watching the littlest one in ski school, on a tiny lift. She also read a lot. She loved the whole holiday. I cooked supper for us all, and we played games. That was self-catering in a tiny Austrian village. She hated shopping and would never go near a "wellness" (shudder....) place where she was expected to sit around with naked people or strip for a massage.

But yes, some non-skiers might want to hike for miles over the hills with snowshoes. And some might even want to go shopping....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy