Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton: Schwarzer Adler vs Hotel Post

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm early planning for Jan 2023. A search throws up some hotel recommendations in old threads, but does anyone have some recent views on the merits of Schwarzer Adler vs Hotel Post?

My details - single male skier who will take half-board. Not into lively apres-ski but do like a comfortable bar with a fireplace and seats to sink back into. Both of these hotels seem to fit the bill, but just wondering if it really is simply a coin toss. Maybe relative bar prices will be the deciding factor ha ha
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stayed in the Schwarzer Adler twice and liked it, bar was ok at best. The post was much closer to the lifts and always looked lively and interesting when walking past. I think I would try there next time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed in the Hotel Post a couple of times, it's a good hotel well situated for the lifts and a nice big flat car park which is always a useful thing if you are driving. The bar itself is quite small and tucked away down one end of the much larger lounge area. The lounge area is big with plenty of space to sit. Food is good there, they usually have a meat buffet one day which is particularly good. It's owned by the Alber Family who also own a lot of other places in St Anton including the Grieshof, Galzig Ski Hotel, and the new Ullr plus various ski rental places too. I've also stayed at the Grieshof a few times. When it used to be the Piccadilly bar below the Hotel post one of the benefits was access to the 'secret' door which allowed you to get in to the back entrance of the bar without needing to go out into the cold but the Piccadilly is closed now so I don't know if that still exists.

I've not stayed at the Schwarzer Adler but I have been in for drinks many years ago (when we were snowed in during the 1999 big snowstorm). It also looked good but I think is a bit more expensive.

Personally I would choose the Hotel Post from those two options.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ive stayed in both of them and for me it would be the Post every time. The restaurant and bar are much more intimate and cosy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Seems The Post is first choice, and is probably a bit cheaper anyway. I emailed them about availability next Jan but they said contact them in Spetember - I'll be in a single room so I think September is a bit tight as their few single rooms might get booked.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rdk wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Seems The Post is first choice, and is probably a bit cheaper anyway. I emailed them about availability next Jan but they said contact them in Spetember - I'll be in a single room so I think September is a bit tight as their few single rooms might get booked.

This is the way it works, at least in popular hotels in popular ski resorts in Austria: Regular guests get first choice. Regulars pencil their next years ski week at the end of this years holiday
In August hotels check their pencilled calendars, and get in touch with their regulars, asking them to confirm and definitely book, or not. After this it's clear what's left for bookings by new guests.
No way around it.
Also important: many hotels are still holding on tot full week bookings, saturday-saturday, sometimes sunday-sunday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rdk wrote:

I would expect you will be ok. It's a big hotel and January isn't a very busy month especially early on. A lot of the regulars who are booking will be families who are looking for larger rooms so it should not be hard to find a single room. It might be different if you were looking for very busy week in the season.

One time when I stayed at the Post with a work colleague we wanted two single rooms, there was none left so they gave us two double rooms for the single price. I think they only do this last minute though, on the basis than even 1 person in a double room is better than an empty room.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy