Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arlberg Lunches and St Anton Restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Evening Troops,

I'm going for a few days in St Anton next week and am looking for recommendations for places to eat during the day on the mountain and in St Anton at night.

For lunch, I'll be skiing all day so can go pretty much anywhere on the Arlberg piste map. Safe enough I suppose as there's the bus from Lech / Zurs if I miss time the return. I don't mind spending a few quid on meals if they are good.

Also, any recommendations for a few quiet pints after dinner? I'll be staying towards the Nasserein side of town but don't mind an evening hoof.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sean1967, I like Skiing Budha (in the sports centre next to the station). Not many ski town with a decent curry. The San Antonio in Nasserein does reasonable pasta / pizzas / beer. There used to be a bar just up from the Nassereinbahn, not sure if it is still there, Mondshein Stuberl?, an old fashioned bar with some actual locals (used to be very smokey but thats now banned) rather than the usual tourist stuff on the Dorfstrasse.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munich_irish wrote:
@sean1967, I like Skiing Budha (in the sports centre next to the station). Not many ski town with a decent curry. The San Antonio in Nasserein does reasonable pasta / pizzas / beer. There used to be a bar just up from the Nassereinbahn, not sure if it is still there, Mondshein Stuberl?, an old fashioned bar with some actual locals (used to be very smokey but thats now banned) rather than the usual tourist stuff on the Dorfstrasse.

Cheers munich_irish, Budha looks good, only so much Schnitzl the body can take!

My concern is now that there's going to be too much snow and the Solden and SFL might have been better options. I think I'll have to rent some fat floppy skis too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seconding endorsement for Mondschein Stuberl - we stayed at the hotel next door in 2020 and went to Mondschein multiple times.
Casual, relaxed atmosphere. Bonus is that the drinks are cheaper than on the main drag.

Skiing Buddha is a nice change of pace from Austrian/German food if you're there long enough to need it.

We never did get to the Fuhrmann Stube on the Dorfstrasse but it looked like a nice down-to-earth place.

As for lunches, you'll get multiple options in Stuben and Oberlech, and there are a few places near the bottom of the Galzigbahn
if you want to avoid the cafeterias and not go into town and tromp around.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowshoer wrote:
Seconding endorsement for Mondschein Stuberl - we stayed at the hotel next door in 2020 and went to Mondschein multiple times.
Casual, relaxed atmosphere. Bonus is that the drinks are cheaper than on the main drag.

Skiing Buddha is a nice change of pace from Austrian/German food if you're there long enough to need it.

We never did get to the Fuhrmann Stube on the Dorfstrasse but it looked like a nice down-to-earth place.

As for lunches, you'll get multiple options in Stuben and Oberlech, and there are a few places near the bottom of the Galzigbahn
if you want to avoid the cafeterias and not go into town and tromp around.

Thanks, Fuhrmann looks great. Mondschein looks good too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowshoer wrote:

I did a quick tripadvisor/googlemaps search and oddly that's the one I like the look of - I was going to book for the first night we're over and play it by ear from there on. Skiing Budha sounds good too. Anyone know if there's a decent Jazz & Cocktail bar anywhere too?

Will be keeping an eye on this thread once the locals weigh in.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any of the many high-end hotels in St Anton, St Christoph, Zurs, or Lech/Oberlech, should have a
nice cocktail bar. Not sure what the policies/hours are in the age of Covid, though, and live music
may be hard to find for the same reason.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some other thoughts:

Robi’s Rodel-Stall in Nasserein. Fantastic atmosphere and, in the past, great food. The caveat is that the business has new owners this year.

Cafe-Restaurant Pete, which is above Sport Pete, in Dorfstrasse. Contemporary feel.

San Antonio Pizza in Nasserein. Very good pizzas in a traditional setting

For lunches in St Anton, the 3 company restaurants, ie Galzig, Gampen, and Rendl all have pretty decent at reasonable prices. Free wifi.

If you find yourself at the bottom of the Saloberjet in Warth, then S1 offers great food in a contemporary atmosphere.

The restaurant at the top of Ruffikopfbahn is surprisingly reasonably priced for the location and views. The food is very good.

In Zürs, avoid Trittalm. Poor value for money and less than enthusiastic service in past years.

In Stuben, the restaurant next to the church is worth a visit. Good food and fair prices.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sean1967, if you fancy a treat, and have a sunny day, the Goldenerberg hotel in oberlech has a terrace. Borders on fine-dining, but they do burgers…. Food is delicious…. Had the half-duck in oriental marinade, came with sweet potato fries.
And not too stupidly priced.
When we were in Steuben, the only restaurant that seemed to be open was the Apres Post hotel…. More traditional, but would happily go back. Had Rosti!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rogg, not sure jazz & cocktails really go in the same sentence as St Anton Toofy Grin

There is (or was) Gunar at the Murrmel Bar

http://youtube.com/v/gnhWifP3m50

I guess he might play something jazz influenced & I am sure the bar would serve a cocktail or two
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2.39 he really misses a trick - "this Gunar's for hire".

It's more for herself, I'm quite easy to please; good beer and a good atmosphere is all I need.

Keep 'em coming though.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would second the Murrmel Bar, but haven't double checked what they are able to do with the restrictions this season.

Lunches - the Hospiz in St Christoph has to be tried including the slide down to the loos. £££ though
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hamilton, just read an Austrian review saying that the Kaisersschmarrn of Goldener Berg is the poorest ever. Couldn't agree more. And if a restaurant is doing poor Kaisersschmarrn....
@Kantha, The Hospiz Alm is a very poor restaurant.

@sean1967, Below some seriously good suggestions, at the Lech/Zürs side (restaurants in St.Anton in general are fairly poor, sorry):

*Flexenhäusl: at the end of the superb 144 piste "Zürsertäli". Super charming little hut, along the Flexenpass road.
*Gasthof Formarin: Charming typical Austrian Gasthof with restaurant+ terrace in Lech, along the easy and charming 212 Schlosskopf piste. Owner is Chef. Super friendly, great food, great views. Makes the best Kaiserschmarrn of the Arlberg. And much more!
*Hotel Arlberg Lech*****: a bit glitzy, but sooo beautiful, in the center of Lech, at the end of the Schlegelkopf piste, opposite the Rüfikopf Cablecar. Lovely terrace, superb food, reasonable prices
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sean1967, Restaurants - On the main drag just down from Galzig roundabout on Dorfstrasse is Anthony's- Steakhouse downstairs, pasta and pizza ground floor.
Fine dining at Fahrnerstubn up Alte Arlbergstrasse. Traditional Austrian at casual Der Greiswirt at the side of the Spar just opposite Schwarzer Adler Hotel, also Austrian at elegant Dorfstubn on Dorfstrasse. There's modern eclectic Aquila opposite Schwarzer Adler. Popular Fuhrmannstubn down by the church.
Then there's the cosy Underground (+live music and bossy owner Joan) on Rudi Matt Weg off Alte Arlbergstrasse, or by ski it's by the piste, skier's right just below Mooserwirt.
In all, usually booking is recommended in normal winters, though walk in possible.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sean1967, for when you have had too many schnitzels, there is also the Bodega tapas bar (Spanish), Bobos (Mexican), and Pomodoro Pizza all on Dorfstrasse. I've been to all of them numerous times and they all serve decent food at a reasonable price. Usually we go to one of these 3 places or the Underground as mentioned by @davidthornton. In normal years they all serve food quite late into the evening as well.
snow report
Robis rodelstall in Nasserein is good, they do a great deer goulash and a pork leg that's not on the menu anymore but still served. The restaurant on top of the Nassereinbahn had good kasespatzle and surprisingly the best strudel I've ever had. If you make it to Warth the Hochaplhutte was good as well.
snow conditions
Heading to St Anton for the first time on the 12th March, first ski holiday since 19 due to Covid. How are things in resort? I see officially apres is banned and bars are closed. Can one get a beer after skiing or does it have to be in a restaurant Main reason for the trip is skiing but its nice to have a couple of beers after the day.
ski holidays
@BAJJ, Most places are open, even apres places like the Mooserwirt & Base Camp. However it is table service only, so you might have to queue for a table or go somewhere else at busy times. What is currently banned (things are becoming more relaxed though "full on apres" is very unlikely this season) is standing at a bar, singing, dancing etc. You should have no problem getting a beer or four at the end of the day.
latest report
@munich_irish thanks for the reply, that's great to hear, fortunately I'm well past the "standing at a bar, singing, dancing etc", the beer or four at the end of the day will do nicely Very Happy
snow conditions
+1 for Flexenhausl - cute sheepskins on the chairs, https://www.lechzuers.com/de/flexenhaeusl

Also heads up for the Rud Alpe in Lech, just above the piste end, marked out by large heart shaped twisted wooden thingy.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-02-22 18:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Some good choices above. I want to add Al Fuego, excellent steaks and atmosphere but you need to reserve in advance. Do it the day you arrive, you'll want to return.
Dolcevita had great thin crust pizza and pasta plus an awesome garlic cream soup.
I recommend to reserve for San Antonio as well.
In January the Murrmel Bar was open but extremely low key volume. I avoided it for looking rather depressing and for fear of contracting covid due to the demographic characteristics of its visitors.
A good place for a pit stop while skiing was Salome in Oberlech. Self service restaurant by the piste.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy