Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK based Ski hire companies

Poster: A snowHead
Wondered if anyone knows of any hire companies operating out of the UK?

Planning ahead for one of the trips next winter and not finding anyone in the area we're headed that has proper tour equipment in the right sizes (small ladies). It's not worth buying anything in the mid term, so was wondering if there were any UK hire businesses around?

Found 'the sick and the wrong' who are based out of Cumbria, the postage might make this a no go in terms of cost (week hire plus postage becomes two weeks hire). So if there is a company near London then that would be perfect.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have a Decathlon near you? They have recently started doing gear rental.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting, might be worth a look, there are a few decathlons around...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doesn't look like decathlon rent out any ski equipment in the UK, let alone tour equipment... They appear to just partner with Skimium.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Missed the bit about OP wanting touring gear. I suspect that may prove difficult to find.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I imagine their could (just about) be a business for this if you were maybe down by the tunnel or ferries so people driving could pick up gear in their way but elsewhere in the UK would surely struggle?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah it's a bit of a niche business model... I think there are some other shops in Scotland, but again it's a bit of a logistical problem for me... A Kent/Sussex based hire service would probably do alright hiring high-end gear.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Thomasski, where are you headed and how are you getting there? Just thinking you might be able to pick up en route if not at destination, eg you can rent touring gear in Swiss cities from places like Bächli and Transa (aka the Cotswold Outdoor like places of CH).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gämsbock wrote:
@Thomasski, where are you headed and how are you getting there? Just thinking you might be able to pick up en route if not at destination, eg you can rent touring gear in Swiss cities from places like Bächli and Transa (aka the Cotswold Outdoor like places of CH).
The Pindus mountains, I think any diversion would be the equivalent of driving to Cumbria and back! Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Thomasski, ah, ok! Sounds like an interesting trip.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A decade or so ago there was a south-east based company who kept a desk at Gatwick and you would just turn up, pick up your pre-ordered skis etc in bags

Cant for the life of me remember who they were
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sev112 wrote:
A decade or so ago there was a south-east based company who kept a desk at Gatwick and you would just turn up, pick up your pre-ordered skis etc in bags

That would be a good service!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Braemar Mountain Sports do touring kit hire, I’ve never used it (but have bought lots of stuff from them), but I think their hire biz model is aimed at folk like you - worth contacting them certainly to check; they’re a grand team and very helpful
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sev112,

Quote:

from memory i think they rented out ski clothing as well, am sure they had an outlet in a trading estate in crawley as well, personally never used them, but visited a shop there which i think was related, i also cannot remember their name.

i would have thought that the business model of renting skis/boards in the uk then transporting them out to the alps via plane, would be a bit of a non starter now due to the cost of ski carriage on most airlines.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Inboard wrote:
Braemar Mountain Sports do touring kit hire, I’ve never used it (but have bought lots of stuff from them), but I think their hire biz model is aimed at folk like you - worth contacting them certainly to check; they’re a grand team and very helpful
I found these guys too, but they're even further away... She'd need to hire touring/hybrid boots which are going to be difficult with the distance (she has awkward calves and would need to try on/alter).
snow conditions
@Thomasski, phone them and ask - they’re far away from most people so they must be used to working around it
snow report
Inboard wrote:
@Thomasski, phone them and ask - they’re far away from most people so they must be used to working around it
Yeah I'm going to phone round the shops that I'm making a list of, hopefully one will come up trumps! To be honest I thought there would be a lot more hire places dotted around, and that there would be someone on snowheads who had experienced this - it's more niche than I was expecting!
ski holidays
@Thomasski, if it is a recognised touring area surely there will be plenty of hire shops? If not, or if the size needed is really unusual, you may have to buy rather than hire.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
@Thomasski, if it is a recognised touring area surely there will be plenty of hire shops? If not, or if the size needed is really unusual, you may have to buy rather than hire.
There are one or two hire places, but they don't (can't justify) keeping the sizes in for vertically challenged people.
The area isn't as popular with internationals as it should be, and with the last 15yrs of economic problems it doesn't have the biggest domestic audience either...

I just want to show the other half what it's all about because I'm 95% sure it will be her thing, but laying out £1500 on a gut feeling is a bit of a jump! I have been looking at second hand stuff, but sizing is still a limiting factor!
It's a puzzle that needs piecing together, but I knew this from the get-go - hence the early start!
ski holidays
@sev112, a decade? think early 90s more like! Airport Skis.

Didn't work.
latest report
Quote:

I just want to show the other half what it's all about because I'm 95% sure it will be her thing, but laying out £1500 on a gut feeling is a bit of a jump! I have been looking at second hand stuff, but sizing is still a limiting factor!

Sounds like you need a pre-ski trip ski trip to somewhere with rental availability (Chamonix?) to see if she likes it and then buy at least boots at the end of the pre-trip trip? snowHead
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
@sev112,

Quote:

from memory i think they rented out ski clothing as well, am sure they had an outlet in a trading estate in crawley as well, personally never used them, but visited a shop there which i think was related, i also cannot remember their name.
Was Edge2Edge wasn't it? Think they sadly went under a few years back
ski holidays
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like you need a pre-ski trip ski trip to somewhere with rental availability (Chamonix?) to see if she likes it and then buy at least boots at the end of the pre-trip trip? snowHead
Laughing Now this is the right answer, perfect snowheads response! Believe me, it's definitely something I've thought about; my holiday commitments this year and a fixed date for this Pindus trip make it difficult - but it's a possibility I'm exploring nonetheless!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@sev112, a decade? think early 90s more like! Airport Skis.

Didn't work.

Airport Ski's sold all their stock at the end of a season for next to nothing then never re-appeared if irc.

I think they lasted 3 maybe 4 seasons . I guess the cost of renting space in the airport was a factor
ski holidays
Finches Emporium in Forrest Hill (south east london) do ski hire. We use them when we drive. Cheaper than in resort and they're all super nice in there. We've mostly got our own stuff now but I still hire for our youngest. They service skis as well which is handy if you're close.
ski holidays
B. wrote:
Finches Emporium in Forrest Hill (south east london) do ski hire. We use them when we drive. Cheaper than in resort and they're all super nice in there. We've mostly got our own stuff now but I still hire for our youngest. They service skis as well which is handy if you're close.
Ah yes, they're on my call list, although didn't see anything on their site about touring gear... Still worth a shot as they're not far from me at all!
snow report
They have so much stuff in there, and out the back, that I'd be surprised if they didn't have something for you. Def worth a call or dropping in if you're close by.
snow report
B. wrote:
They have so much stuff in there, and out the back, that I'd be surprised if they didn't have something for you. Def worth a call or dropping in if you're close by.
Thanks will pop by! Never been and sounds like an interesting place anyway!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy