Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski theft

Poster: A snowHead
Around the pre season bash in december there were a few reports of skis stolen, then some friends of ours had two pairs knicked from outside a restaurant in Italy during the Christmas holiday. My brother then had a brand new pair od K2 skis pinched in Japan ( I was very surprised at that, I'd have thought Japan very safe). It was their first day there and he'd only got to use his new skis for just over 2 hours.

So, is it getting worse? Or is it just coincidence that I know of more this year?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@thecramps, I don't think it's getting worse.

You hear stories every season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve definitely heard more stories this season but all it takes is one rouge person to tarnish a resort’s reputation
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a board stolen in ADH years ago. Been happening occasionally for as long as I've been to ski resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonny996 wrote:
Iall it takes is one rouge person to tarnish a resort’s reputation

could be this guy then

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hard to build an accurate idea from anecdote, I guess the resorts may have an idea but don't want to publicise a negative.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kat.ryb wrote:
I had a board stolen in ADH years ago. Been happening occasionally for as long as I've been to ski resorts.
Can't remember whether it was ADH or L2A where that gang got caught running stolen skis back to Poland in a pair of vans. Think this was one of two seasons before COVID? They had loads of equipment and were caught red handed, apparently most of it was run-of-the mill, not high end as I would have thought... I think it's a constant problem that's kept quiet to limit the damages to the industry/local area.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thread is from 6 years ago

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137315
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is from an article in 2001
Quote:
Breaking your leg on the ski slopes isn't the only risk which you need travel insurance for on a winter sports holiday, as around 70,000 skiers and snowboarders are likely to have something stolen from them as well according to a recent MORI survey by Direct Line Travel Insurance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd recommend attaching these if you've got expensive equipment. Inside one of the cheap waterproof cases, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a ski too. Theives would probably think it's just part of the binding.

https://www.apple.com/uk/airtag/

We had a large holdall stolen a few trips back with our boots, jackets, etc in. The final claim was for over £1000 (it soon mounts up), and they gave us £600. Some up the kit was litterally unreplaceable. Ignoring the mental effect it will always have, it's definitely worth trying to protect your kit as it'll always cost you a lot more in the long run.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ratkinsonuk wrote:

We had a large holdall stolen a few trips back with our boots, jackets, etc in. The final claim was for over £1000 (it soon mounts up), and they gave us £600.

Do you mind I ask why that was? Their estimate of the current value after depreciation of your things that originally cost £1000? Or something else?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh dear, I hope answering this thread is not tempting fate! I have never worried overly about my skis but have always been careful to keep them in eye sight if at a restaurant at resort level. One thing to do is to pair up your skis with somebody else and plant them as an odd pair a suitable distance apart.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 22-02-24 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's correct Jay. They remove something like 20% per year down to 50%.

The problem is, a set of boots you bought for £300 a few years ago will return you £200 for instance. When you have to replace them, you're obviously going to buy a £300 pair again, so you're instantly down £100 when you probably didn't need to replace them in the first place.

That doesn't take into account the excess (perhaps £100). Ideally, a new for old policy would be great, but insurance policies that include snow sports seem to be trebbling the price of a normal beach holiday policy. Too many people getting their skis nicked lately NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JayRo wrote:
ratkinsonuk wrote:

We had a large holdall stolen a few trips back with our boots, jackets, etc in. The final claim was for over £1000 (it soon mounts up), and they gave us £600.

Do you mind I ask why that was? Their estimate of the current value after depreciation of your things that originally cost £1000? Or something else?

All the claims on insurance I have made in my life, have left me down financially to some degree. Even after I have scrutinised the small print they have come up with something!

No, I tell a lie! We insured our caravan for its purchase price. After we jack-knifed it on the M5 (no body hurt thankfully) we had had enough of caravanning and were quite willing to take whatever payout the insurance firm would offer and give up towing. However, as the insurance firm would have to pay out its for new cost, they decided the caravan wasn't a write off. (It would have been if it had only been insured for its much less, at the time current value.) and paid for it to be repaired. So we reluctantly kept on caravanning instead.

But happy ending - I had an ATC (automatic trailer control) device fitted and we have been happily caravanning with it for the past 10 years and will continue to do so. The ATC works brilliantly.

Sorry, hope not too far off topic.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back on the theft theme, a few years ago, I was skiing solo and came across a German couple taking a selfie. I stopped essentially for a chat and offered to use their camera to take their picture for them. To my surprise the atmosphere immediately soured with looks that could kill. It was only a few minutes after skiing off that I realised they must have thought me for a scammer intent on making off with their camera! I felt really stupid!
snow conditions
I've occasionally 'pretended' to run off with peoples cameras, just to see the look on their face Razz
latest report
My mate and I had our boards stolen from the ski locker of an apartment in La Plagne (quite a few) years ago. When we considered how flimsy the lock was on that ski locker, we wondered why we hadn't kept the boards inside the apartment.

The boards were taken on the evening of the second to last day of the trip. As the weather was clagged in, we didn't feel that we had missed too much on our last day; we recorded the theft with the police, had a swim then set off for the long drive home and avoided the worst of the traffic. While we lost a bit on the insurance excess, we both got replacement boards in end-of-season sales. So not a bad outcome.
snow conditions
For me insurance is for major stuff financially. In general making any insurance claim is difficult, you have to pay excess and the amounts paid out will generally be for the value of stuff today rather replacement value. And as noted theft of stuff causes a lot of inconvenience. Hence over the years I've become more and more paranoid about preventing theft and avoiding the hassles that come of it. I get concerned leaving stuff unattended in any place for any amount of time.

We don't use mountain restaurants but we do use indoor picnic huts. Usually I can put the skis somewhere I can see them but not always. If we don't, we split them and put them as far apart as possible. We don't carry a lock because leaving them unattended is so rare. My now 18yo son thinks I am bit OTT.

Anyhow, I think it's a bit like anything really. I've left my back door unlocked on the odd occasion but the chances of a thief knowing/coming around that day are slim. Instead on a normal day when locked they would more likely force entry. A bit like leavingj your skis outside restaurants all week and then having your ski locker/car broken into and stolen.

Hard to never be a victim but I definitely like to make it difficult.
snow conditions
I never used to bother but the last couple of years I've started locking mine and my partners boards around stuff at lunch and trying to sit where we can see them, the locks are a bit flimsy but hopefully would be enough to displace an opportunist onto something not locked up, or give me enough time to notice and intervene
snow report
My missus had one pole nicked this year in Val d'Isere. It was hanging off her ski and it couldn't have been a mistake. Some poor sold probably lost theirs somewhere or had theirs stolen and decided to turn from poor soul to back bottom. Only cost €24 for a new pair but it is still annoying and leaves a sour taste.
snow report
I've been locking my skis for a few years now, but the ski locks are traditionally a bit flimsy and crap. For the last trip I just got a small padlock which I put on the brake. Possibly wouldn't stop someone chucking them in a van but I think a bit more secure than a cable that side cutters would get through.

I did have some poles stolen a few years back, my solution to that is some crap looking poles, one of which is bent.
snow report
For me, it would not just be the financial loss of my skis being stolen. I have had a pair of Head 95 all terrain skis for 5 years or so now, which I simply love! They are just the skis for me and suit me for the skiing I want. I service them myself, not wishing to trust them to anybody else, and would be absolutely gutted if the were half inched!
They carve easily and can deal with powder and loose snow to follow my snowboard comrades. At the end of the day, with me being knackered, they flow over the slush returning to our chalet on the lower slopes, no problem, and that I really appreciate at my age.

Rock on!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy