Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A trip to France (via Geneva) - review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I haven’t been on this forum for ages, mainly because I just haven’t skied for ages. However I was one of the lucky ones that has just about to finish a week ski trip (23/1 to 30/1) to Three Valleys and thought my experience may help someone who has the same questions we had. I’m writing this a day before we leave as I know people will be prepping for their trips today / tomorrow, but will update with our return leg on Sunday night.

Travel to France
As above we went to La Tania, Three Valleys. Flight was from Manchester to Geneva.
We got a Collinsons drive through Lateral Flow test done at the airport, and stayed over at airport hotel. Test results arrived with a cert within an hour. You need to get an official negative test 24hrs before departure.

Our flight was 6.55am, Manc airport was quiet as was security. terminal 2 has been upgraded since I was last there and a fair few food/drink options open. Gates are quite far away, so build in some time to get there!

Jet2 checked our uk vaccination record and Swiss locator forms before we checked in. If you’re not checking in at the desks, then you get checked at flight boarding. I’d recommend printing things out, just easier than faffing with phone.

For Geneva you need to do a Swiss locator form before arrival, even though you’re not staying in Switzerland. I’ll post link below.

Flight was ok, have to wear a mask and can no longer queue to wait for the toilet, just have to gamble that it’s free! Our flight was about 80% full.

Landing - row by row exiting, which in theory works but you clearly have the odd idiot that doesn’t listen and causes the delay / holdup they’re seeking to avoid.

Customs - brexit means uk passport holder no longer benefit from the EU queue (don’t try it, you get sent back), so we’re stuck with the rest of the world. There was a big queue, because (as you’d imagine) there’s all sorts of paperwork to now check.
Thankfully the Swiss being the efficient people, allowed the ROW queue to use EU booths once no more EU people - so wasn’t a long wait. We did hear the day before was a good couple of hours.
At the desk they checked our Swiss locator forms and covid jab proof and LFT negative test.

We also completed a French declaration, but no one has asked for that at all. It’s a one pager and probs worth having just in case.

Transfers - We had private transfers so met on the Swiss side and drive over to France. Didn’t get stopped at the border, actually there wasn’t anyone in the booths!

Skiing!
It was ace to be back on the slopes! The French demand you use a mask on all lifts. It’s not hugely enforced, in fact in our experience it was the young French lads that didn’t do it - but you will occasionally get collared and told to wear one. They’re fine with a snood brought up over your mouth and nose.

There is a French app you must have. It’s called AntiCovid and produces a QR code. On occasion they’ve asked for this in the lifts. No QR code no lift access. It is compatible with NHS covid QR code, but you need to scan that qr code within the AntiCovid app to provide a French qr code.

Restaurants all ask for the QR code. Masks/snoods not needed for sitting down but are to be worn when walking around. All staff seem genuinely happy for brits to be back.

Lifts - probs 90% were open, we’ve had stunning weather so the closure is tactically due to covid staff shortages we hear.

Coming Home
We’re leaving tomorrow but so far. We had already booked a day2 lateral flow test with collinsons to do at home. This have us the all important individual code.

Jet2 wouldn’t let us check in without the UK Passenger locator form completed. So you need to do that, but only can do 48hours before departure. On that form, which is clunky, you put in your unique LFT code.
Then when you checkin, you out in the unique completes passenger locator form number and this appears to complete the process of docs needed to get back into the UK. I’ll update more on that later when we’ve got home.

I think that’s it for now and hope that helps. It’s only a guide and please don’t take it as gospel / official advice, but is what we did to get our ski trip! Weather was 5/5 sun everyday, but the mid/lower 3valleys desp need some snow now. Due Monday apparently.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I’ll try to remember what happened.

This is all our experience from when we went - so again not official advice. Please check Government website for country requirements as they are changing frequently. Most countries now has quite a good flowchart tool that then tells you what you need to enter.

Cheers Jack (sorry for typos/grammar, on the iPhone!)

Links

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

https://swissplf.admin.ch/formular

https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

https://mobile.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

There is a French app you must have. It’s called AntiCovid and produces a QR code. On occasion they’ve asked for this in the lifts. No QR code no lift access. It is compatible with NHS covid QR code, but you need to scan that qr code within the AntiCovid app to provide a French qr code.

I have been in France for 6 week and visited various ski areas. I do not agree that you need the Anticovid app. I just use a paper version of the NHS QR code for the booster dose. This has been scanned on a daily basis usually at restaurants. never had a problem.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They’re all over it in three valleys. Restaurants wouldn’t accept nhs app qr, only AntiCovid app to get in. maybe they just want to see the same code in their app - in fact there was a right kick off at a meribel centre point lift because some old English bloke tried to barge through because he didn’t have signal to sort it out - you could imagine how that went down! No harm having both i suppose just in case. And it’s relatively new based on the latest regs for letting people in so waiters etc might be a bit on edge for using theirs. Anyway whatever gets you a vin chaud is all that matters!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 29-01-22 11:08; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Useful report, @jackski, and very clear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jackski wrote:
They’re all over it in three valleys. Restaurants wouldn’t accept nhs app qr, only AntiCovid app to get in - in fact there was a right kick off at lift because some bloke tried and was demanding entrance. No harm having both is there? And it’s relatively new based on regs for letting people in

Blimey, that’s a bit harsh of them. TAC verif shows a big fat green tick when you scan the NHS app, so I’ve no idea why they wouldn’t accept it. I have both on my phone anyway, but only used the NHS one from my wallet as it was the easiest to access on the slopes (last week in Montgenevre)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That’s handy to know.
Just updated my post, having had a think. Reckon it might just be them getting used to the whole thing now given we’re piling back in - there’s a bit of panic about it all, making sure they do it (had someone run after us around a self service to get it scanned!). Probs relax soon, as more people get that tick using different methods. Might try myself at lunch to use nhs and report back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We discovered that there are two nhs covid qr systems. One for use solely in the uk and one for international travel. The international one works fine with the scanners used in France. I don't know about the uk one. I doubt it will since it doesn't contain the dates and time of vaccination.

We are now on our way to the airport heading to la rosiere via Geneva
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy