Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus/Fiss v St Anton v Solden v Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Alrighty Snawheids,

I'm looking for some advice regarding Serfaus/Fiss v St Anton v Solden v Ischgl

I'm meeting a mate in Italy on the 10th of February. Before that I'm going to do a solo trip from the 4th. I've a flight to Venice and will take the train to Austria and ski the 5th to the 9th and ski somewhere. The question is where.

I've been to Solden, Ischgl and the Arlberg and like them all but I'm thinking about Serfaus. As I'll be solo, I'm not fussed about apres. It'll be shash this year anyway, I hear there's a bug going about. A couple of scoops in the evening will do me.

I suppose my question is how does the skiing of Serfaus compare to the other 3? It seems a little known area compared to the other 3. In fact, I'd never heard of the area until the barman in the Limerick Bill's in Innsbruck mentioned it to me in 2019. I'm a piste skier, reds and blacks. Is it likely that Serfaus will be quieter than the other areas? I expect St Anton will be as rammed as ever.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a brilliant area. They have some great black pistes too. And yes, it will be quieter.

Go, you'll love it. The barman was correct (they often are)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27 wrote:
It's a brilliant area. They have some great black pistes too. And yes, it will be quieter.

Go, you'll love it. The barman was correct (they often are)

Excellent stuff, thanks for the input, I'm sold. Just need to sort where I'm going to stay, might stay in Fiss.

Recently I'm more of a Dolomites guy but the forecast snow for Austria is tempting me over the border.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sean1967, here is a recent thread about Serfaus

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155321
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wot @red 27 said. No mistakes being made there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sean1967, If you stay in Fiss (which I also recommend) then this place is really the nuts

https://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serfaus is not unknown, it is one of the top Austrian resorts by visitor numbers. For some reason it does not attract a lot of UK visitors. Cant say I am very knowledgeable about the place but from my brief visit I would say that the skiing is similar to Ischgl (it is very close by, with a bit of touring you can ski to Samnaun, there is a plan to link with See which is a smaller area in the Paznauntal). A good variety of piste skiing, with some off piste, though a bit more skiing below the tree line than Ischgl. What is not the same is that it really pushes the "family" aspect, it is not a place to go to "party" Austrian style (not that is an issue currently).

Generally it does not get as much snow as the Arlberg (which isnt far away either) and that might be a factor at the moment given that the forecast snow is generally along the northern edge of the alps and towards the east (nothing on the horizon for the Dolomites). St Anton is reputed to be quiet, but so is everywhere. Many German families are currently pretty much prevented from taking holidays in Austria which is very much keeping numbers down, though hopefully that should change in the not too distant future.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
@sean1967, If you stay in Fiss (which I also recommend) then this place is really the nuts

https://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/

I did look at the Schloss but soon realised I'd have to sell a nut to stay there. I've a load more days to budget, dropping £400 a night in the Schloss would be rash. Beef Club looks good. Looked at the Schalber in Serfaus too.

I've sent them an email asking if the bar and cigar lounge are open to outsiders. If so, I'll hang out there at night smoking stoagies, mildly schlossed, pretending I'm a bigtimer before heading off to my cheap schissenhousen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
Serfaus is not unknown, it is one of the top Austrian resorts by visitor numbers. For some reason it does not attract a lot of UK visitors. Cant say I am very knowledgeable about the place but from my brief visit I would say that the skiing is similar to Ischgl (it is very close by, with a bit of touring you can ski to Samnaun, there is a plan to link with See which is a smaller area in the Paznauntal). A good variety of piste skiing, with some off piste, though a bit more skiing below the tree line than Ischgl. What is not the same is that it really pushes the "family" aspect, it is not a place to go to "party" Austrian style (not that is an issue currently).

Generally it does not get as much snow as the Arlberg (which isn't far away either) and that might be a factor at the moment given that the forecast snow is generally along the northern edge of the alps and towards the east (nothing on the horizon for the Dolomites). St Anton is reputed to be quiet, but so is everywhere. Many German families are currently pretty much prevented from taking holidays in Austria which is very much keeping numbers down, though hopefully that should change in the not too distant future.

Thanks, I realise it's not Narnia. That it doesn't attract a load of UK visitors I see as a big plus, similar to the Dolomites. Razz If St Anton is quiet hmmm.......I suppose Serfaus will be quieter. But maybe I should take advantage of a rare quiet St Anton? Things might become busier though in February no? A lot of those fancy schools taking their half terms early? Last I looked on Bergfex there were non-trivial amounts forecast for St Anton, Ischgl, Solden and S/F/L.

What a dilemma to have! snowHead I'll keep a close eye on how things develop with next week's snow, make a decision on Thursday, then find some digs. From my perspective, arguably St Anton is 'closer' than all of the others, given it's a direct train from Innsbruck. No autobus faffaggio at Landeck or Otztal.

Anyone know if it possible to smoke inside anywhere in St Anton? Filthy habit but I do like a cigar and Austria is one of the few places you can still find indoor spaces to smoke. I realise I sound like a total tadgerino.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sean1967, smoking indoors has been forbidden since end of 2019 in Austria.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does look like a decent amount of snow generally in Austria early part of next week, though just the odd snowflake in the Dolomites.

I went to Serfaus for a weekend a few years back when I couldnt find anywhere to stay in St Anton, ended up in Landeck and decided to avoid the crowds and try Serfaus (parked the car by the lift in Fiss). Thought I would go back but the siren call of the Arlberg has always been too strong.

Ask on the St Anton thread about numbers there, but reports are that it is quiet (along with everywhere else). If you are travelling by train it is difficult to beat St Anton for convenience, easy change at Innsbruck and the station is right in the middle of the village. The Zillertal villages are pretty good too with the train, the trains from Italy stop in Jenbach for the Zillertalbahn.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang wrote:
@sean1967, smoking indoors has been forbidden since end of 2019 in Austria.

I read that with some fear at the time but there seem to be quite a few hotels that still have smoking rooms attached to their bars, some only for guests though. They must have some exemption. There's some in Solden and Ischgl. I've found a couple in Serfaus / Fiss. Just not yet in St Anton other than the Tannenhof which I'm pretty certain will not allow walk ins.

I'm sure I had a cigar in Cafe Habana in Innsbruck in January 2020 too.

Italy too, over the years I've discovered the Park Laurin in Bolzano and the Laurin and the Alpenroyal in Selva all have smoking rooms. Also the SooChic restaurant in Plan de Gralba. Goalies pub has been refurbed and done away with their smoking area.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 29-01-22 23:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munich_irish wrote:
Does look like a decent amount of snow generally in Austria early part of next week, though just the odd snowflake in the Dolomites.

I went to Serfaus for a weekend a few years back when I couldnt find anywhere to stay in St Anton, ended up in Landeck and decided to avoid the crowds and try Serfaus (parked the car by the lift in Fiss). Thought I would go back but the siren call of the Arlberg has always been too strong.

Ask on the St Anton thread about numbers there, but reports are that it is quiet (along with everywhere else). If you are travelling by train it is difficult to beat St Anton for convenience, easy change at Innsbruck and the station is right in the middle of the village. The Zillertal villages are pretty good too with the train, the trains from Italy stop in Jenbach for the Zillertalbahn.

Thanks, I've never tried the Zillertal. I looked at some options SkiWelt too, changing at Worgl. Looks like I'll do 5 days in Austria, night in Innsbruck, then head very early to Selva the next morning for 4 days with my mate. Such a great infrastructure the Italians and Austrians have for public transport through the mountains, great value too.

I was in Selva a few weeks ago, it was very quiet indeed. Weather was excellent and pistes in great shape too. I'm worried it's been too long without snow, though their snow making and pistemanship is exceptional.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There’s no wrong answer for me on that list. If you’ve never been, then why not go for Serfaus and add it to your list? You’ll have more skiing than Solden, about the same as Ischgl and less than Anton. Serfaus has significantly quieter apres, but given the year that’s in it, that shouldn’t come in to it as much as you said.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Redial wrote:
There’s no wrong answer for me on that list. If you’ve never been, then why not go for Serfaus and add it to your list? You’ll have more skiing than Solden, about the same as Ischgl and less than Anton. Serfaus has significantly quieter apres, but given the year that’s in it, that shouldn’t come in to it as much as you said.

Indeed, apres shmapres this year. In fact these days I'm happy with a few pints before and after dinner Aye, SFL might be the one, I'll wait for next week's weather and forecast to develop and make a decision midweek.
snow conditions
After much deliberation, I've taken the plunge on some very cheap accommodation in St Anton. I was keen on Fiss but my primary accommodation options disappeared. That and travel to St Anton and from St Anton to Selva is a bit more straightforward.

Looks very snowy early next week. My worries are now that it's too much snowHead and there will be closures due to avalanche risk. I'm also concerned that my Fischer Curvs won't be the best animals for the conditions and will need to rent something fat and floppy. But these are good concerns to have. snowHead

Now need information on where to eat in St Anton, I don't mind spending a few bob if the food is good. Any recommendations ?
latest report
@sean1967, Restaurants - On the main drag just down from Galzig roundabout on Dorfstrasse is Anthony's- Steakhouse downstairs, pasta and pizza ground floor.
Fine dining at Fahrnerstubn up Alte Arlbergstrasse. Traditional Austrian at casual Der Greiswirt at the side of the Spar just opposite Schwarzer Adler Hotel, also Austrian at elegant Dorfstubn on Dorfstrasse. There's modern eclectic Aquila opposite Schwarzer Adler. Popular Fuhrmannstubn down by the church.
Then there's the cosy Underground (+live music and bossy owner Joan) on Rudi Matt Weg off Alte Arlbergstrasse, or by ski it's by the piste, skier's right just below Mooserwirt.
In all, usually booking is recommended in normal winters, though walk in possible.
ski holidays
@sean1967, a whole thread on eating in StA: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158661&highlight=
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy