Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail Resorts ends use of paper trail maps

Poster: A snowHead
This happened in November but I missed it. VR hasn't printed any maps for a while due to covid, and they've decided to end it entirely and have us use their app. Trend or one-off? We'll see.

I dig trail maps, so add another to the growing list of things I don't like about Vail Resorts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hope that's not a general trend. Apps are all well and good until you forget your phone or it runs out of charge. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems like a no brainer for resorts. Saves money, can be promoted as a green initiative, and they can sell piste map goggle wipes.

I personally do like a trail map, so a little disappointed to see them go, make for a nice souvenir. That said they get wet and soggy and flap about in the wind, a phone is much better (battery issues withstanding).

I wish all resorts put a trail map on the chairlift bar and in gondolas.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boarder2020 wrote:
... I wish all resorts put a trail map on the chairlift bar and in gondolas.
Which VR do. So it's not an issue for most of us.
You do, of course, have to put the bar down to see them wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve a treasure trove of paper piste maps, gathered on our travels.

I hope they remain, elsewhere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I like the boonmaps trail map I just downloaded for Red mountain - makes way more sense to me than the paper one due to the 360° nature of the skiing there - unless you chop up the paper one and roll it into various cones Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I go boarding with a couple of people who are essentially human piste maps so I don't tend to get one and I'm happy to follow them.

On the occasion I want to look at a map I use the Bergfex app on my phone or one of those big ones at the top of lifts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Agreed Madeye-Smiley

Have a stash at home from all trips, SWMBO likes em to use for scrapbooks etc. Not really looked at one on the slopes for years.
WE genereally just check any map boards around the area, and ski Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
This happened in November but I missed it. VR hasn't printed any maps for a while due to covid, and they've decided to end it entirely and have us use their app. Trend or one-off? We'll see.

I dig trail maps, so add another to the growing list of things I don't like about Vail Resorts.

I second that. And aside from Whistler and Kirkwood their hills are lame compared to most Ikon hills.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awful decision IMO. It's impossible to look at an entire piste map (to gain an overview of a resort) in any detail on a phone Sad rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes phones make terrible maps outdoors. Difficult to read and no context. Also a good chance of dropping them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bergmeister wrote:
Awful decision IMO. It's impossible to look at an entire piste map (to gain an overview of a resort) in any detail on a phone Sad rolling eyes

Possibly so for tourists, but the majority of skiers at VR are locals - admittedly some will travel to other ski areas covered by the Epic pass. So they will have to find their way around.

The cost saving for all the trail maps, many unused must be great, and coincides with the retirement of James Neuhaus Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Which would you rather fumble & drop whilst on a chairlift - a free paper map or your phone? And which is easier to replace whilst in resort? And on the Green front, which is the more biodegradable when the snow melts?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best trail maps are the ones mounted on safety bars
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
... I wish all resorts put a trail map on the chairlift bar and in gondolas.
Which VR do. So it's not an issue for most of us.
You do, of course, have to put the bar down to see them wink

But when you sat at the end of a 6 pack, you can only see the edge of the map. That's a quarter of the mountain!
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Seems like a no brainer for resorts. Saves money, can be promoted as a green initiative, and they can sell piste map goggle wipes.

VR did a few other "green" changes too. Such as not making snow pre-Christmas (or actually, not making snow at all regardless in many smaller local resorts they own)
snow report
abc wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

VR did a few other "green" changes too. Such as not making snow pre-Christmas (or actually, not making snow at all regardless in many smaller local resorts they own)

Yeah and not generating carbon emissions by running lifts or groomers or enough buses from the parking lots...
snow conditions
Quote:
Possibly so for tourists, but the majority of skiers at VR are locals
Sod the tourists then! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Bansko also stopped paper maps for what it is worth.
snow report
Discovered at New Year that the Crystal Ski app* has a nice feature - it has the piste maps of all the resorts they go to, which is pretty standard, but it also shows your location with a dot when in resort, on whatever lift or piste you are on, which I found remarkable given how fast and loose most piste maps play with the actual geography. Helpful should you find yourself temporarily geographically embarrassed.

*You don't have to be travelling with them to use it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy