Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Hooky Skis" after service

Poster: A snowHead
I'm lucky enough to be skiing in Canada, Very Happy
I brought my own skis out here as WestJet only charge £29 each way for the 23kg of carriage.

But I had the skis serviced the other week as I'd not used them for a few years.
But I do not recognise them Sad or they don't recognise me.
These are piste skis and the conditions this week are "Hard Packed"

They are extremely sharp and very "hooky" is the only way I can describe it.
I can turn them and they do carve but a bit grabby a sort of chatter too.

I suspect its a tuning problem.
But I was wondering if anyone had ever had this type experience.
Or is it me ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It happened to me years ago with Straight Skis, where the Tips and Tails hadn't been blunted slightly. They were razer sharp for the entire length of the edges.

It hasn't happened since I've been on Carving Skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Detune a bit at tip and tail and be a bit gentler with transitions - when I get massive chatter it's usually when I've overly aggressively edged into something hard.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn, many people who've had their skis serviced by Il Professore in Alleghe have experienced this. According to admin, if you use your skis properly, it's not a problem. Not sure El Hen appreciated that reaction. wink
Have a great time, you lucky thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Detune a bit at tip and tail and be a bit gentler with transitions - when I get massive chatter it's usually when I've overly aggressively edged into something hard.

Carving skis should be tuned from tip to tail. If you are detuning it is in compensation for something else.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JamesHJ wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Carving skis should be tuned from tip to tail. If you are detuning it is in compensation for something else.
haha, see above - compensating for not being able to ski properly,, apparently. (I confess there could well be some truth in this argument.)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Guys,
I'll try and find a good workshop locally today to have a look and see what's going on.
I also got great advice on the from SpyderJon at the Piste Office.

They did give an exciting ride round "Sunshine" and yesterday "Lake Louise".
We're staying in Golden BC and today I'm going to take a day off from skiing.
Perhaps do a bit of Snowmobiling around the yard.
Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, don't detune the tips and tails, likely there is a hanging burr left from the tune, so try what spyderjon suggests in this post to remove it

https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3512601&highlight=hanging+burr#3512601
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrLawn, Yep, what @Zorrac, says, they have left a hanging burr. We had this once and sorted it on the hill with a mini swiss army knife nail file.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd also check they are not railed at the tips, put something flat across the ski and see if its concave, if so it will be hard to engage and then feel really hooky. If they are rammed through a machine with too much weight it can rail then as well as structure the edges which doesn't help. But I'd also guess a quick deburr will clean off any hanging burrs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One other thing that could cause the issue, though much less likely - have encountered skis that have been given a vicious base grind, and the base edges not redone leaving flat base edges. This obviously needs a file and base edge guide to fix.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ that often feels like a difficult turn initiation and once you do get it on it hooks hard. Same sort of issue, even a structured base edge can be problematic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hardpack tends to accentuate hooky-ness, and new edges even if perfect might make the ski seem hooky compared to the way it used to be.

You'll figure it out with the shop, but in a pinch out on the hill, swap 'em left for right and see if that changes anything. (probably not in this case)

If you have a "hanging burr" as noted above, you'd see that. If so, the other ski makes a dandy scraper if you're out on the hill. I had one the size of my thumbnail, ski wouldn't move. One pass and it was gone, real clean too.

Everybody chatters on hardback to some extent even with perfect equipment. One can't overpower it. Less is more on that surface.

Enjoy the sun.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like they have a concave base and so are edge high
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a tuning problem. I had something similar last year when the shop put less base angle on the edges (half a degree) after a base grind, than the 1 degree I'd been using before. They were unskiable (by me at least).
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:

I suspect its a tuning problem.

Or

(a) I suspect its a skiing problem

(b) I suspect its a tuning preference
snow report
Majority of skis are tuned on machine these days, as a result the ski tuner holds the skis down one hand on tip one hand on tail putting most of the pressure in those places, the underfoot doesn't get sharpened as much, this results in chatter and a bit of fish tailing. You should get the underfoot sharpened rather than detuning the tips and tails.

I used to struggle with this problem, got them to do the tuning in front of me and spotted the problem straight away. I mostly tune up my skis by hand now, occasionally put them in to be properly serviced the place I use now does a great job.

If you're not sure that's the problem, a good tip is to scrape the pink of your fingernail on it, if you get more shave from the tips and tails than the middle you can see the underfoot is not as sharp as the tips and tails... it should be equally sharp tip to tail. Detuning tips and tails is a hangover from straight skis.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 29-01-22 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Zorrac wrote:
@DrLawn, don't detune the tips and tails, likely there is a hanging burr left from the tune, so try what spyderjon suggests in this post to remove it

https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3512601&highlight=hanging+burr#3512601

I'd bet it is exactly this. Quickest solution is to run a gummy stone over it, flat to the base. I've seen folks fix it using the edge of the other ski, because obviously you don't realise there's an issue until you're part way down your first run and you likely don't have any tools with you. It's a bit rough and ready but I guess it helps.
snow report
Thanks for all the input guys, I thought I'd give you all an update.
Yesterday was a bit of a dull day so we went into town for a bit of shopping.
I was in a ski shop and I could see they were doing the service by hand, so I had a word with the tech.
After a chat we brought the skis in for a "look at these bad boys".
We checked them them for burrs but OK there.
His comment was, "God their sharp!"
This was tip to tail.
We decided to just give it a "dull off" on the tips and tails and I'll try them later.

The weather looks a bit dull too tor the next few days.
I'm glad we made the most of it at Sunshine and Lake Louise on the way.
ski holidays
DrLawn, Sounds just like I like em when its icy Toofy Grin

Give it a day of hard skiing on groomers with plenty of turns, they'll be fine Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@DrLawn, Can you side slip in them OK? Or not?
snow report
@DrLawn, hanging burr. Nasty.
snow conditions
Grind the rails, that'lll sort them out. Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi @Bones, @red 27, @under a new name, @king key, @king key,
Well I had a great day out on them yesterday. (Saturday)
So thanks for the interest.
They feel just right to me now.
The snow is a bit of a mixture up here at Kicking Horse.
Its hard packed in the busy bits of the pistes and just a but icy on the steeper bits.

@red 27, They side slip very comfortably on those steepest bits.
@king key, no rails here ... just the Canadian Pacific
@under a new name, It was just a case of I'm only used to factory tune rather than a razor tune all the way along.
@Bones, They were just the job on the icy bits.
So I'm dead chuffed, I brought them with me, I had the narrowest skis on the hill.
There is a rumour that there is going to be a big dump tonight, but we will see.
We are kitted out for a day of Snow Shoeing so that will be different.

We have had a great time with the snow guiding tours, these free guides get us to cover much more than we would ever do on our own.
snow report
Ooops posted that too quick.
I meant to send a picture of the guide.
Wayne the middle one used to own a Heli Ski Outfit,

latest report
I had heard about the hanging burr but never experienced until today - assuming that’s the issue.

Barely skiable - can carve well on gentle slopes but if you need to skid any bit, they don’t like it. Glued to the snow even at lower edge angles. Taking back to the workshop tomorrow for correction…
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Good news - and interesting to know the T&T de-tune sorted them for you
latest report
JamesHJ wrote:

Had my K2 Apache Stryker skis checked by the official K2 guys in Whistler a few years ago. They said the tips should be de tuned. I’ll stick with that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ride snowboards. With a board you detune tip and tail from the contact points out (and maybe lightly for an inch or so at the contact points). Most of my boards have had camber between the feet and rockered noses. If you don't detune the nose when initiating a turn the front can really load up. I think the sharp edge seems to try engage more and more of the nose. I assume a ski would do the same.
snow report
@rogg, to some extent personal preference. I have never detuned a ski.
snow conditions
Detuning the tips and tails is a matter of personal preference and skiing style. It really depends on wha you want from your ski.

My daughter who has raced quite a bit sharpens her skis every day on holiday, and would instantly notice (and be angry!) if anyone detuned anything. She skis aggressively with high edge angles and will clean carve steep/icy slopes.

My wife is also a very advanced skier and raced when she was young. She did her ACL a few years ago and chose not to have reconstruction so uses a brace when skiing. She would notice (and be angry!) if her skis were not detuned a bit at the tips and tails. She skis much less aggressively now, and wants a smooth and easy turn initiation. She carves when she wants but will also use more skidded turns.

My 11 year old fearless monster you can put on any ski, he won't notice or care. And still rip it up/take on big jumps, mess about in the park. Think he will probably be the best skier of us all.

The 13 and 15 year old boys are mellow skiers unless pushed. Interesting to push them though, they ski much more aggressively if you put them on stiff, narrow, sharp edged piste skis. They normally ski slightly softer skis and don't care about their edges.

I like the right tool for the job. If on piste then will ensure sharp edges (daily sharpen, full length) and enjoy a really aggressive piste ski. Not least as only way to even pretend to myself that I can keep up with my daughter (I can't if she goes for it!). If messing around with the boys then I use an old all mountain ski that I detune at tip and tail, find it helps in variables. For off-piste a genuine fat ski.

Horses for courses. There is no right answer. And skiing ability is not the only variable. What you want from your ski, and how you want to ski, are equally important.
snow conditions
@zikomo,
Quote:

Horses for courses. There is no right answer. And skiing ability is not the only variable. What you want from your ski, and how you want to ski, are equally important.

I'm glad you say that, so many people have come on to this thread with what they claim to be the single definitive answer!
snow report
gorilla wrote:
@rogg, to some extent personal preference. I have never detuned a ski.

Thinking back I didn't detune my more traditional non rocker/spoony nosed boards. I wonder is the the big flappy rocker nose that hooks in more?
snow conditions
I once bought some 110mm wide skis second hand that were so hooky they were dangerously unskiable. Turned out that they had no base edge bevel at all. A bit of hand-tuning and the setting of a 0.5mm base bevel and they were transformed.
snow report
Well Thank you all,
I'm happy with the way they are now.
So its Kicking Horses for Kicking Courses Very Happy

Day off yesterday ... Went Sledging as they call it here... Skidoodling to us Europeans.
It was not a day off ... it was an adventure...
Lets just find a picture.
A few pictures on this link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxYeW9uLShwPVUBPA
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy