Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apres ski 'bar' closure in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I didn't want to further pollute the huge 'travel to Austria' thread with this sidebar, but it's a question that's been bugging me a bit.

So... restaurants and cafes can be open until 10pm, but bars remain closed. Hence what I read that "apres ski is not possible"

But what's the distinction between a bar and a restaurant? For example, I'd use Villa Crazy Daisy in Zell am See for apres... and it looks open - is that because it's principally designated a restaurant? Even though it specifically advertises an apres ski terrace?

Umbrella bars - is that more clear cut (by the name alone) and they all have to be shut? That said, I've eaten lunch in them previously, so food is available. Is there any 'scotch egg' workaround like we had during the U.K. lockdown?

What about the restaurants that typically sit alongside the umbrella bars and of course also serve beer. Ok to drink at a table outside one of them?

I get the 'sit down, no dancing' edict (Ha, like anyone took any notice of that in Italy...) but I'm still confused about what will be open or shut for a few drinks on and off the slopes once we're finished for the day. Even if I can't get up and stomp along to some cheesy tunes...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ratechaser, in truth most huts are open. I have only encountered a minority which are closed. These are the type who serve only drinks and have loud music, dancing and not so many tables.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ratechaser, most places are open, but only with table service, no standing at the bar. For example the Mooserwirt in St Anton is open but not the usual crush crowds, you have to queue up to get a free table. No singing or dancing but low key music. There have been a number of incidents where "too much party" has appeared in social media feeds with the consequence that the local mayor (or whoever) has threatened to shut down the places in question. There will be places that decide it is simply not worth opening with the various limitations.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mankei, @munich_irish, interesting, so it sounds like it's a bit subjective rather than a formal designation of a 'bar'. There's one little one I like on the blue 16 (just along from the base of the Schmittenhohe on the way down to CityXpress) which was generally the last beer of the day for us while on the slopes. But that was definitely a bar and barely had any seats so expect it will be shut.

Be good if the umbrella bars were open though - they were a handy quick option for a mid morning hot drink if you didn't want to stop for long.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ratechaser, have a look on the Saalbach thread @tatmanstours, will fill you in on what is open
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ratechaser wrote:
@Mankei, @munich_irish, interesting, so it sounds like it's a bit subjective rather than a formal designation of a 'bar'. There's one little one I like on the blue 16 (just along from the base of the Schmittenhohe on the way down to CityXpress) which was generally the last beer of the day for us while on the slopes. But that was definitely a bar and barely had any seats so expect it will be shut.

Be good if the umbrella bars were open though - they were a handy quick option for a mid morning hot drink if you didn't want to stop for long.

We were in St Anton 2nd week of January and bars were open, plenty of them. Curfew at 10pm
One Bar operating for the seasonairs was staying open in a separate area and noises were heard of people walking home into the early hours ( I realise that could have been private parties)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@ratechaser, have a look on the Saalbach thread @tatmanstours, will fill you in on what is open

I can only speak for Saalbach, but the various après-ski bars are open, and it all feels pretty normal, except for the aforesaid table service. Plenty of the usual music and merriment. However the Hinterhag Alm is closed, as are the later evening night club type venues, such as Castello and Taverne.
A couple of the bars have interpreted the rules as permitting live music, so they are pretty much as they normally are, except for the requirement to be seated.
It’s all quite relaxed though, and I foresee a trend towards increased normality. There is talk of other bars having live entertainment, and also rumours of the 10.00pm closing time being extended to 12.00 midnight.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tatmanstours, good to know, thank you! Hopefully Zell is a similar story... and would be nice if places can stay open a bit later - even if just so we can have a few drinks at the hotel bar after dinner!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seemingly the 10pm closing is being removed starting February 5th
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@2waterford, hurrah...

And... source?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ratechaser, press conference, live now. Curfew being pushed back to midnight from Feb 5th.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, Very Happy , hopefully that will happen here too soon. I am off the pop until mid February with a bit of luck that will coincide with a resumption of "normality"
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarlet, Makes little difference to me tbph, I've normally peaked by 10pm anyway! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, Dry Feb for me....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know what the apres situation is in Mayrhofen? We’re staying at Strass hotel in March but not sure if we’d need to reserve tables to eat/drink at other venues and even if reservation is possible Puzzled
latest report
Here we go......

http://youtube.com/v/XWSFJZKjSXM

http://youtube.com/v/j09hpp3AxIE

http://youtube.com/v/Fpu5a0Bl8eY&list=RDFpu5a0Bl8eY&start_radio=1

http://youtube.com/v/BPS7ljgav9g
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/pFEDBewcfks
ski holidays
@Mountaindoc, my son and daughter were there on 3rd to 8th January. Places were busy but as is the case with the rest of Austria, music was down low and no dancing etc allowed.
The same week, my sister and her family were in Zell and live music on in Crazy Daisies but not full on apres.
We were in Hinterglemm the week after and same story - the apres venues were open and serving drinks but not the same usual apres
snow report
@boabski,

Good to know. Thank you Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
Mountaindoc wrote:
Anyone know what the apres situation is in Mayrhofen? We’re staying at Strass hotel in March but not sure if we’d need to reserve tables to eat/drink at other venues and even if reservation is possible Puzzled

Just to say... good hotel! Will always remember their bagpiper at New Year...
snow conditions
@boabski,

Good you have a Dutch Apres Ski Tune in that selection... Many non German Speakers probably do not realise that many of their favourite Apres Ski Tunes are actually Dutch Very Happy Very Happy

Here is an oldie (1996) we always hear English Speakers singing along to the tune probably not relaising what it is all about Happy

It is Guy (Singer) taking a Train to see his Girlfriend... a number of things happen on the train journey .. Kedeng Kedeng is the sound of the train rolling on the tracks ...

http://youtube.com/v/lSxh-UK7Ays
snow conditions
@stanton, I know. A hell of a lot of my apres play list are Dutch Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy