Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
A group of us are heading to Les Arcs 1800 (hotel golf) on Saturday for a week. We've never been to Les Arcs before, so after any advice. We're flying into Chambery, so im hoping the weather holds out!

We're all average skiers, what are good runs (thinking blues or easy reds etc) for us? One of the group is a new snowboader (done a few days in the past). We've read that the run down from aiguille rouge is good (and very long?), although not keen on doing many black runs!

We've all got the full Paradiski pass for both les arcs and la plagne.

We generally tend to cover a lot of mileage in a day, usually on long cruising type runs, although we do enjoy some of the small off piste bits through the trees etc. Not sure how much of that will be on next week due to no new snow in a few weeks. How are the pistes holding up? Have they been running any artificial snow making to freshen the pistes up?

Whats the deal on the 3km sledging run, it looks pretty fun?

Any other advice you have would be great, thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Les Arcs I love doing laps down the runs off Grizzly and Derby lifts. Through the trees, lovely and wide. La Plagne side, Pierres Blanches is a great blue run.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blacksheep wrote:
In Les Arcs I love doing laps down the runs off Grizzly and Derby lifts. Through the trees, lovely and wide.

Yep me too, love those runs!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blacksheep wrote:
In Les Arcs I love doing laps down the runs off Grizzly and Derby lifts. Through the trees, lovely and wide. La Plagne side, Pierres Blanches is a great blue run.

Another vote for these runs down towards Vallandry and Plan Peisey they are ideal for the OP’s group.
I think the snowboarder should stay away from the Aiguille Rouge - unless they go up for the view and come down in the cable car.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob.m, Les Arcs is packed with good runs of all grades so you'll have a great time.

A few suggestions if you like high milage how about this for a challenge: take the Charmettoger from the northern end of Arc1800 (I reccomend this over the transarc since a/ there will be no queue and b/ you don't have to get into a telecabine.) ski down to and take Grizzly. From there start with the combe red piste. This will give you a great feal as to the average difficulty of Les Arcs red runs. Your border may hate the drag out, one of the very few in Les Arcs, but it can be avoided by cutting acrosss to the Peissey chair. From there make your way south along the slope sticking to the 1800/1600 side of the ridge and sampling every red run as you go. Many feel the same as the previous ones, but there are some subtle variations and a gradual change from the trees of Vallandry to the open slopes above the Arpette. Then you find yourself faced with Claire Blanc. Perhaps the hardest red run in the Alpes and much harder than most blacks in Italy or Austria. There are a couple you may have to leave out for now since they originate the other side of the ridge in Arc 2000.

Once you have finished with Arolles and Granges, if it is open, you will be a excellent red piste skier.

I assume you have already downloaded the Yuge app onto your mobile phone and looking at the range of challenges it offers.

The rodeo luge run is indeed great fun. Be warned, however if the track is really hard packed you will end up with a bruised back bottom*. IIRC if you have a paradiski pass you get a discount on the run.

*I used the tradditional english word ar** but for some reason the software converts into something rude. Aplogies

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 27-01-22 12:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob.m, Second the laps of Derby, nice tree runs if weather closes in.

Aguille Rouge is a long run, but a PITA to get to the top unless you're out early. Otherwise you queue for ages for cable car and personally the top isnt relaxing if you want a cruising run! Better to take chair out back of Arc 2000 and follow it from there.

Yes sledging is good, buy ticket at top of run (may have one included in some lift passes) although Id suggest you go for it on run otherwise you will hit some flat spots

Would also recommend Mont Blanc run
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Otherwise you queue for ages for cable car and personally the top isnt relaxing if you want a cruising run!

You can pay a queue jumping charge for the telepherphique. I think it is 10€ with a paradiski lift pass.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hotel Golf is a pleasant and handy place to stay.

Finding your room, in the confusing series of ramps, is interesting.

You'll love Les Arcs/La Plagne.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're also out in Les Arcs next week, although staying at the Vallandry end. This will be my 4th time skiing there, and I know the area well from biking hols in the summer.

As above - the reds off the Derby and Grizzly lifts are ace.

Aiguille Rouge is PITA to get up to, and the red back down is basically a steepish narrow windy fire road, so not much fun unless you're confident (the missus hated it) - at which point, you can just do the black straight down - but then you can do the full run down to Villaroger, which is lovely. 2k of vert in a oner. snowHead (memory says the aiguille rouge black piste is flat in the middle, so you need to carry speed!)

Some of the stuff just above 1800 gets very battered, and isn't much fun. I like the routes off the top of Comborciere/Clocheret. (Malgovert is good if you like something a bit different! Twisted Evil )

La Plagne is worth a visit, although its a trek to get across to. There's a lot of uphill action to do once you get off the Vanoise Express before you get to the good stuff. I like going off the back of the Roche De Mio and heading down to Champagny - it feels "a bit more mountain, a bit less piste" if that makes sense? (NB there's usually big queues to get back across the VE at the end of the day, so don't leave it too late - also the runs back to it are usually packed, bumped up and quite possibly icy)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CoticJon, Yes the run from the top of the Roche de Mio to Champagny is great fun. I really like that steep top section. TBH is it a nicer run than down to Villaroger.. It may sound odd but from the top of the Aiguille Rouge it feels nicer to either cut left where the black turns right just after the glacier and head down Robert Blanc or if you do take right turn turn down Genepi back to 2000. I may be biased in that there always seems to be a lot of base ripping stones as you approach Plan Violet.

I've never noticed any queues returning over the Vanoise Express but huge queues on at the Arpette in Belle Plagne. TBH I'm not a fan of that long run from the top of the Arpette to the Vanoise Express
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The red 'Arolles' into 1600 is one of my favs - it's just a bit harder to get to so doesn't get much traffic.

Get over to La Plagne a couple of times. The skiing above Les Coches is good as is the trip right over to Montalbert with th reds down the 'Roche' chair both being great runs

For me, the Arc 2000 bowl is dull by comparison to the rest of the area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Agreed - although there are some very wide and gentle slopes ideal for ski schools, but it's not great and is awful in a white out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Agreed - although there are some very wide and gentle slopes ideal for ski schools, but it's not great and is awful in a white out.

That's where I basically learnt to ski in 2016 - we were confined to the bowl as the weather was rotten and none of the lifts over to 1600/1800/Vallandry were running. The murky conditions were great for teaching me to feel the skis - sensory deprivation everywhere else!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, I'm off to Les Arcs this weekend! Does anyone have lunch spot recommendations for both cheap places and places with a great view? Thanks!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lcoutts wrote:
Hi, I'm off to Les Arcs this weekend! Does anyone have lunch spot recommendations for both cheap places and places with a great view? Thanks!

Rucksack of patisserie swag, top of Aguille Rouge and there's a pic-nic platform with one of the finest views in the Tarantaise.
snow conditions
lcoutts wrote:
There are a couple of huts piste-side above Arc 2000 with plenty of deckchairs and seating outside. You can get a cheap pastry and a drink for a snack lunch, with great views around the bowl and up to the Aiguille Rouge.

The Bulle Cafe, also above Arc 2000, offers the cheapest espresso in the Alps and a slice of pizza for two or three Euros. Plenty of seating inside and out, and a great playlist. The circular building is easy to spot, just above the Arcabulle chairlift bottom station. A favourite place for a pit stop, also does an amazing seafood platter.
ski holidays
Yeah The Bulle is a great spot, always good choons and decent and fairly priced food, for a mountain restaurant. Otherwise there are plenty of nice scenic spots to eat a picnic, I actually quite like sitting on the edge of Arpette looking into 2000 when the sun is out but some good spots around the Mont Blanc piste, the picnic tables at the top of Comborciere or a nice place that does good pizza at the bottom of the Vallandry lift. There is also the new wood building at the Derby chair, I didn't eat there last week but I had coffee there a couple of times, it looks good. I also haven't tried the smokehouse on the piste above the 1600 lifts but when is a smokehouse not good?
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
Finding your room, in the confusing series of ramps, is interesting.

100% agree. Gawd knows what the designer was on when they planned it! Even more interesting and confusing after a few beers.
snow report
Thanks all!
snow report
Are Benjis bar and Giovannis Pub still operating in Les Villards at 1800?
snow report
Apologies to resurrect this but can I pick the brains of those who know Les Arcs well.
I'm looking at two apartments, one is in Plan Peisey and one is in Arc 1800. My memories from having been there last around 12 years ago is that there wasn't much going on (in terms of apres) in Plan Peisey? Is that correct?

We are a small group of 40 something year old men, so not looking for anything crazy but it would be better if there are a few bars and selection of restaurants to choose from.

Thanks
Tom
ski holidays
I'd definitely pick 1800 @cheltom, unless there's particular attraction to PP for you and group.
snow conditions
Thanks ski3 - it's just the apartment in PP is nice and the one in 1800 is a bit of dump. I think we'll put up it with it.
ski holidays
cheltom wrote:
Apologies to resurrect this but can I pick the brains of those who know Les Arcs well.
I'm looking at two apartments, one is in Plan Peisey and one is in Arc 1800. My memories from having been there last around 12 years ago is that there wasn't much going on (in terms of apres) in Plan Peisey? Is that correct?

We are a small group of 40 something year old men, so not looking for anything crazy but it would be better if there are a few bars and selection of restaurants to choose from.

Thanks
Tom

If you end up at 1800 this might help (review I wrote up of our trip there in Jan)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163110
snow report
Expect a long transfer to les arcs, here now and it took 4+ hours last Saturday.

Can any of the local experts suggest where to get a good French onion soup, with proper grilled cheese on top. I've been looking forward to it and had one yesterday and it was rubbish. Last chance tomorrow.
latest report
janed9388 wrote:
Expect a long transfer to les arcs, here now and it took 4+ hours last Saturday.

Can any of the local experts suggest where to get a good French onion soup, with proper grilled cheese on top. I've been looking forward to it and had one yesterday and it was rubbish. Last chance tomorrow.

Can't remember the name, but have you tried a place next to the "jardin alpin" lift over far side of Charmettoger area in 1800 ? It's about halfway up that lift from memory, when you come out from lunch you ski down to get onto the JA to get back in circulation Very Happy
snow report
No, but will investigate as we are staying in Charmettoger. Thanks. Although now thinking I could skip soup for the smokehouse mentioned in this thread Very Happy
snow report
Decent listing here too https://www.seelesarcs.com/restaurants/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
A few suggestions if you like high milage how about this for a challenge: take the Charmettoger from the northern end of Arc1800 (I reccomend this over the transarc since a/ there will be no queue and b/ you don't have to get into a telecabine.) ski down to and take Grizzly. From there start with the combe red piste. This will give you a great feal as to the average difficulty of Les Arcs red runs. Your border may hate the drag out, one of the very few in Les Arcs, but it can be avoided by cutting acrosss to the Peissey chair.

I don't think the Combe drag exists any more. It's no longer on the piste map and I seem to remember, the last time I did it, the run just continuing down to the Peisey lift without the branch off to the left.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't think the Combe drag exists any more.

That's a shame. I wonder why they took it out. It was a handy lift for a very nice piste.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I don't think the Combe drag exists any more.

That's a shame. I wonder why they took it out. It was a handy lift for a very nice piste.

Confirmed by a look on remontees-mecaniques.net

Short description:
Ski lift built by Mécalift in 1980 in the Pesiey-Vallandry area

Year of construction: 1980
Year of end of service in: 2021
ski holidays
I've never had much of a queue for the peisey chair so it's just another lift to maintain and operate for little benefit.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've never had much of a queue for the peisey chair so it's just another lift to maintain and operate for little benefit.

The peisey lift has a much longer queue than that for the combe drag and a pretty tedious ski across to it. The combe lift always seemed to have plenty of people using it. I'll miss it. Les Arcs seems to be contracting yet again.
snow report
drag lifts are a pain for 50% of the paying customers, im not suprised they are being phased out everyhwere
ski holidays
cheltom wrote:

Thanks
Tom

1800 has much more nightlife.

Go to La Cabane Des Neiges for "Le Brassero" which is a fantastic dinner (indoor bbq).
Before cafe is a good pub
Benjis bar is great for cocktails and a game of cards
Over at Charvet try out L'escale gourmand and have their "La Potence" (fillet steak on a spit)
ski holidays
Hi does anyone know if there are any free ski lifts in Arc 1800. We arrive in the afternoon and don't want to pay for an extra day ski pass. Thank you.

Also note some people have stayed at hotel du golf.. Any reviews of this place? They don't have any shower curtains in the bath.. Is one of my main concerns lol.

Thank you in advance.

Vik
snow conditions
No free ski lifts but if you buy the Essential ski pass you get the afternoon, from 12:30, before the day your ski pass starts for free. You also get access for La Plagne and priority lane at a number of the Les Arcs lifts.
snow conditions
Thank you. You only get the afternoon free when you buy a 6 day pass. We are skiing for 4 days.
ski holidays
I think there is a free lift Saturday and Sunday, Im in 2000 at the moment with some lads and a beginner used st jaques for free all day. Probably an alternative in 1800.
latest report
Free access on Saturdays and Sundays on the ski lifts:

Combettes chairlift, Arc 1600

Charmettoger chairlift, Arc 1800

Jardin Alpin chairlift, Arc 1800

Saint-Jacques chairlift, Arc 2000

1 DAY - ARC 1600 + ARC 1800 (EXCLUDING TRANSARC)
€44
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy