Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oberlech

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at Oberlech for next year, as a change of scene from Hinterglemm, where we've gone the last 4/5 holidays. Was lucky enough to stay at the Montana a couple of years running c.2007/8 and are still my favourite ski holidays. We were looking at the Bergkristall and just wondered if anyone had stayed there and what was it like? Kids are no longer coming on ski trips so are able to afford nicer hotels Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All I can say is, you lucky people. Oberlech is the dream.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tiefschneetaucher, believe it or not, is not that much more than Hinterglemm - a few hundred pound each
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski wrote:
@Tiefschneetaucher, believe it or not, is not that much more than Hinterglemm - a few hundred pound each

Is Oberlech cheaper than Lech itself? I've never really stopped to look, but I got the impression Lech proper is very expensive. I tend to not dawdle as I'm usually rushing to get on the Trittkopfbahn to get back to St Anton or Stuben Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sah, have not looked at Lech as we found Oberlech just so special. For example we are being quoted €1500 pppw in Oberlech (excluding flights etc) and Hinterglemm was €1200 pppw (and food was not a patch on what we had at the Montana)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some years ago we went for dinner to Bergkristall.
We did not like it at all.
Food was pricey, yet mediocre, staff was very poor. Moody senior staff, and an army of interns that knew nothing. Hotel interior is renovated but in a poor, tacky way. Total lack of atmosphere.
One of our worst dinners in many years in Lech to be frank
Cannot keep up with Montana in any way!!
We have never stayed in Oberlech (always Lech) but based on extensive lunch and dinner experience I would suggest to look at the very reasonablehotels Cresta and Formarin in Oberlech. Both have great restaurants
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some years ago we went for dinner to Bergkristall.
We did not like it at all.
Food was pricey, yet mediocre, staff was very poor. Moody senior staff, and an army of interns that knew nothing. Hotel interior is renovated but in a poor, tacky way. Total lack of atmosphere.
One of our worst dinners in many years in Lech to be frank
Cannot keep up with Montana in any way!!
We have never stayed in Oberlech (always Lech) but based on extensive lunch and dinner experience I would suggest to look at the very reasonable hotels Cresta and Formarin in Oberlech. Both have great restaurants
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some years ago we spent a week in the Sonnenburg...
We loved it.
Food was great. Service was excellent and we spent lots of time chatting with the owner / grandpa (just don't ask any questions about Patrick Ortlieb)!

Ski in ski out...
It's the dog's dangleys! One day we will return.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks folks. Always wondered what the Cresta and Sonnenburg were like. Will look into.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed at the Sonnenburg in December before Christmas and loved it. Was deciding between that and the Burg but went for the Sonnenburg. We took a look inside the Burg while we were there and it looked nice. We stayed in the Goldener Berg 4 years ago and that was great as well. Feel free to send me a message with any specific questions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah wrote:
I'm usually rushing to get on the Trittkopfbahn to get back to St Anton or Stuben Smile

I'm usually looking to get to Stuben to get to Zurs to get to Lech to get to Schroeken to get to the better skiing snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boabski, I've stayed at the Sonnenburg and the Burg and they're ok.

TBH I prefer to be down in the town with some atmosphere in the evenings in the Gotthard or the Austria. It's hardly a big deal getting up to the slopes in Lech - never any queues so the ski-in-out thing isn't so important.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’ve stayed at the Goldener Berg - I was so desperate to go there (or the Sonnenberg) after a trip to Zurs the previous year. It was a brilliant location and obviously a v nice hotel but it didn’t quite have that much atmosphere. I’m hoping to go to Oberlech in the next couple of years - maybe the Montana or Sonnenburg if we can get in!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many people think that Oberlech is about the best you can get. A bit of a clichée.
The most beloved hotels of Lech/Oberlech are in Lech proper. (Almhof Schneider, Arlberg, Krone etc etc)
Illustrated by e.g Hotel Almhof not publishing its prices for Christmas. And any reservation is only possible by a 50% downpayment.
And Hotel Krone in 2022 still does not need an online bookingtool, only ‘by enquiry’

Many people forget that Lech proper has quite a few ski in/out hotels too.
Plus the extra advantage of the nearby village for some shopping, café’s or nice walks to Zug etc…
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of places I've stayed at on the Arlberg (and other areas in Austria too) are not bookable a year in advance unless you've stayed before and that includes b&b's in St Anton, so Lech is not exactly alone in its exclusivity. Agreed that Lech will have more atmosphere but that's not why we will be going to Oberlech. The outlook from the likes of the Montana and it's neighbouring hotels are simply stunning and worth giving up some atmosphere in my opinion
latest report
@boabski, I was not comparing Lech with other resorts. I was comparing hotels within (Ober)Lech.
Just saying you might want to dig a little deeper than obvious candidates like Montana.
This comes from someone with 30 years of lovely lunches at Montana Cool

You might be surprised about the outlook of some hotels in Lech proper.
Especially those on the Schlegelkopf slopes. But true, it can be difficult to get rooms in these hotels. Toofy Grin
Slight warning for Montana: last few years (pre covid) we were less enthousiastic.
No experience this season yet, going in march.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, cheers for the heads up. I'm always drawn to the Montana as I've yet to have better food for a week in a hotel, although the Hubertushof in Stuben gave it a good try Very Happy
snow conditions
I stayed in the Bergkristall a few years ago over the xmas period and it was lovely. The rooms were nice and the restaurant was really enjoyable.

One thing to note in Oberlech is that once dinner is done everyone, including all of the various hotel workers, seem to descend into the lower Burg bar where a mini disco takes place. ( Curfew allowing )

I can only speak as I find but we had a brilliant time . Incidentally the cable car ran to 1 am , not sure about things these days though.

In the morning you can ski to the T bar and be in the system before anyone else has even woken up. I'd love to stay there again and maybe I will.

Cheers
snow report
@Alan1974, thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy