Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend Austrian Resort near Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Been skiing for many years & we are late converts to the delights of Austria…I know, I know, totally remiss of me…but we have now been to St Anton, Ischgl & Saalbach & loved all 3.
We are planning flying to Munich towards the end of February & cos of shift work we are tied into a Monday to Monday, which may be a challenge as I prefer an apartment to a hotel so I’m not tied into specific meal times etc.
Husband wants to visit a different ski area - can you recommend somewhere you love?
We are mostly on piste skiers, like covering the miles so good connections, prefer being close to the slopes without the faff of ski buses & somewhere with a bit of atmosphere would be ideal too Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiWelt. Loads of miles to ski. Stay near the lifts and it might work. 2.15hrs drive from Munich.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@malarkey99, Kitzbühel! Followed by Zillertal, either Mayrhofen or Kaltenbach, Followed by Ötztal (Sölden)...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgot to mention Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. One of the best resorts in Austria, not used much by Brits for some reason.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where to start... Smile

It depends on what you mean by "near" to Munich. I think Lermoos is probably the closest Austrian resort, it's lovely but it's not huge, but you could combine it with a visit to Garmisch which is only 30 minutes away.

Kitzbühel is easily reachable from Munich. There are lots of apartments in Kirchberg, which is a convenient base but maybe not as much fun as Kitzbühel town.

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is a large area not far from Ischgl, probably the same distance from Munich. I think they mainly have hotel accommodation, but worth a look, you might find something.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steilhang, ha, great minds Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@malarkey99,

Ski Welt/Wilder Kaiser is within about 90 mins - 2h of Munich. This is a large area and encompasses a number of villages - Soll, Sheffau and Ellmau would all be around the same distance.

Soll is fairly lively but the main village is a 5-10 minute bus ride from the lift station (although you can store your skis and boots at the shop there so at least you aren't lugging them around every day). You might be able to stay closer to the lifts in Ellmau.

https://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/wilder-kaiser.html

A little further away (2h30 or so) and there is Ski Amade. This is more of a collection of separate resorts and is best served if you have a car and are willing to drive on a few days, but Flachau is a fairly large area on its own and certainly has accomodation close to the lift stations. It has lift-served connections to Wagrain, Alpendorf, Flachauwinkl and (with a short 3-minute shuttle bus) to Zauchensee. Other areas on the same pass are Schladming, Hochkonig and Grossarl.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed in Ellmau twice, love it. Wouldn't say it's lively though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@malarkey99, Plus one for Ski Amade, its why we live here! The Snowspace Flacahau/Wagrain/Alpendorf/Kleinarl/Zauchensee has 210km of linked piste as @Mun_keh!, said. There are loads of apartments in the villages but you are coming during the Dutch and Bavarian Holidays so book soon. Assuming you are coming from Muncih by car, then the other resorts on the pass include those already stated and the Gastein Valley. "Lively" anywhere but only until 10pm and not likely to change this season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@malarkey99, One other observation. I don't know where you live, but there are Monday to Monday flights to Salzburg from LGW or STN. Only 45 mins from there to the Ski Amade. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant thank you everyone Very Happy that’s really helpful.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I’m in Scotland & Edinburgh/Glasgow are my nearest airports. I saw there were London Salzburg flights, but the times don’t work out for us unfortunately. I’m even doing an indirect flight to Munich, which would normally do my head in, but to be honest I will just be so happy to go skiing that it doesn’t really matter!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@malarkey99, with an indirect flight, I'd concentrate on making the transfer at the destination as simple as possible - which then points at the SkiWelt as the closest large area. In late February it should be pretty reliable, but does suffer from being busy at times with day trippers from Bavaria for exactly the same reasons that you would choose it. Access by car is simple, while it is also possible to take a train from the airport to Kufstein from where a good shuttle bus runs to Soll, Scheffau and Ellmau at low cost.

Other skiing is available further down the Inntal, but why travel for a further 30-60 minutes unless they can offer something unique?

For a Mon-Mon trip with a preference for apartments you may have some problems with availability unless you would consider somewhere further away from the centre of resorts, or you're happy to take an apartment from Mon-Sat and then relocate to a hotel or pension for the weekend. Either way, you'll probably be paying for 2 days that you can't use, as almost everywhere runs Sat-Sat in Austria.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@malarkey99, Although SkiWelt is the nearest big ski area to Munich not sure I would suggest it for a week to experienced skiers (despite the fact that I am likely to be there this weekend for my first skiing in well nigh two years). Maybe look to stay in Kirchberg so you have easy access to both Kitzbühel (which has more varied skiing) and SkiWelt. Kirchberg isnt as lively as some places but that is not really relevant at the moment. Brixen also good though not quite as good access to the Kitzbühel area (Kitzbühel and SkiWelt are linked by a 5 minute shuttle between two lifts, most passes cover both).

You might want to consider the Zillertal, it really isnt much further to drive, especially if you avoid the weekend. There is a lot of good skiing though it is spread around the valley.

As mentioned Serfaus is good though a longer drive.

Unless you really do want to try somewhere new, Saalbach probably meets your requirements better than most places.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish,
Quote:

Although SkiWelt is the nearest big ski area to Munich not sure I would suggest it for a week to experienced skiers

I'm struggling to understand this - for somewhere which has "Over 288 km of ski runs, 90 modern cable cars and lifts, 80 rustic Alpine huts" the level of experience is irrelevant if you've not been there before and want to try somewhere new, plus as the OP says "We are mostly on piste skiers, like covering the miles" the relative lack of gnarly off-piste in the Skiwelt really isn't a concern. With the valley runs available into each of the villages, the piste mileage will be high if they are comfortable on those runs, and with the exception of the Brixen valley run they're all likely to be in good condition until the end of March.

Add in KeyWest and the link to Kitz on the wider pass and the options are even more extensive, including any desire for serious off-piste which Pass Thurn and a couple of other areas can offer.

We've been skiing for 20 years at 2-3 weeks per year, and the Skiwelt remains in our top 3 areas for a week's holiday. There's more than enough to keep new visitors busy, if it matches your needs.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ousekjarr, realise finding an apartment will probably be nigh on impossible! I’d been looking at Italy & Val Gardena originally & had actually found one, but Mr M want to go to Austria, so it’s on the back burner just in case! I would take a hotel option if that’s what was available though. I just prefer having a bigger space to spread out & not having to eat big meals if I don’t feel like it.
@munich_irish, like the idea of Kitz & Skiwelt linked passes, more variety, that appeals.
I would go back to Saalbach again, it was our last trip pre covid. I will probably still look at it again anyway in case I can find what I want, plus it has the advantage of being familiar.
I may now also have the added mix of student son joining us! Shock
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, SkiWelt does not have much challenging skiing, most of the pistes are pretty similar. It can be good in January & February, especially for families and mixed groups. Kitzbühel has more variety, with some more difficult stuff. Not knocking the place, I have been lots over the past twenty years as it is the nearest large ski area to where I live (if I am lucky with traffic I can be in the Scheffau car park in under an hour). I wouldnt really recommend it to experienced skiers looking for a week's holiday, even with the addition of Kitzbühel. In recent years I have gone for the odd day early season, when conditions are good, when I havent been able to spare the time (or budget!) to get to the Arlberg. It depends what you want from your ski holiday.

PS the toboggan run in Söll is excellent not to be missed
snow report
Quote:
Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is a large area not far from Ischgl, probably the same distance from Munich

The OP is after somewhere close to Munich Airport - which doesn't apply to Serfaus and Ischgl. According to Google Maps, it's over 3hrs (over 220km) to both from MUC Confused
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is a large area not far from Ischgl, probably the same distance from Munich

The OP is after somewhere close to Munich Airport - which doesn't apply to Serfaus and Ischgl. According to Google Maps, it's over 3hrs (over 220km) to both from MUC Confused

Which is why I said "It depends on what you mean by "near" to Munich" Very Happy

I usually fly in to Munich and do long weekends in the Arlberg, Kitz or Zillertal and other parts of Tyrol, so a 3 hour drive is fine with me, hence those were my thoughts.
snow report
As others have said, Skiwelt is quick and easy to get to from Munich.

A word of warning though, if you're planning on going Monday to Monday in February you may find your options for accommodation quite limited. From experience many hotels and apartments in that area only take bookings Sat to Sat at that time of year.
snow report
Quote:
Which is why I said "It depends on what you mean by "near" to Munich"
Yeah, saw that. I'm also happy with a 3 hour drive from an airport - but would never regard that as driving to a 'near by' ski area wink
snow report
@mountainaddict, I have done (though wouldn't now!) day trips to both Ischgl & St Anton. Fastest time to St Anton was about 2 hours 20 minutes (I live not too far from the airport), which needs clear roads and not much notice of the speed limits!
ski holidays
Quote:
I have done (though wouldn't now!) day trips to both Ischgl & St Anton
Very Happy
So nothing nearer to you that was worth skiing at the time? Shocked (You'd have passed a fair few of the places that are covered on our Tirol Snow Cards Laughing)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 28-01-22 13:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mun_keh! wrote:
@malarkey99,

Ski Welt/Wilder Kaiser is within about 90 mins - 2h of Munich.

Are the roadworks round Rosenheim finally finished then ?
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, plenty of nearer places but not as good as the Arlberg Very Happy Ischgl is often the only place worth going to in late November / early December or late April. Must say these days prefer the train if possible, more environmentally friendly and more relaxing, good for St Anton and some other spots.
latest report
@malarkey99,
Its got to be Kitzbuhel.

Interesting skiing for all grades, a lively town,
lively apres ski.
Easy to drive to from Munchen or take a couple of trains.

It has always been my favourite.
latest report
@malarkey99,
Its got to be Kitzbuhel.

Interesting skiing for all grades, a lively town,
lively apres ski.
Easy to drive to from Munchen or take a couple of trains.

It has always been my favourite.
snow report
Quote:
Ischgl is often the only place worth going to in late November/early December or late April
Ah! Fair dos munich_irish.
snow report
Just to say thank you everyone for the advice, appreciate it. I’ve found an apartment in Kitzbuhel that’ll take my booking Very Happy
As we are experienced skiers (25ish years, getting old!) I reckon I’ll buy the pass to include Skiwelt too (unless there’s a reason not to?)
Really looking forward to our trip, it’s been waaay too long!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy