Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria VIA Germany - by plane then hire car.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I'm really unsure as to whether my 10 year old will be allowed into Germany now to transit via hire car to Austria. (and back again) He has no vaxx yet as per UK rules.
UK and now Austria (again ) are in the HIGH risk group again

am I right in reading this https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

as anyone over 6 and unvaccinated must now quarantine? His big sister is 2 x vaxx and I'm boosted. I had thought he was exempt from all this until now.

Plus are these entry requirements even in play if we are transiting thru and leaving Germany ASAP https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/coronavirus?openAccordionId=item-2329928-10-panel

EDIT - I've emailed the consulate to try and get the answer, I'll update here.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just been reading through all of this and several German sites, The lack of clarity is astonishing. Most of the planet seems to be in the high risk category.

I hope that the consulate gets back to you soon with a reassuring positive response soon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bedrock66, if what you are planning to do is fly into Munich and then immediately travel onto to Austria there is no issue as transit is allowed. It will only be an issue if you are planning to stay in Germany eg in a hotel for a night. This is an issue for families based in Germany as holidays outside of Germany are effectively off the agenda for anyone with unvaccinated kids, it has been like this for a couple of months.

The only issue you might find is checking into for your flight. Pretty much all the airlines are insisting on the German arrivals form https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/ despite the fact it is not required for transit. Use the Munich airport address for your address in Germany and note that the vaccine certificate needs to be uploaded after the form is completed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've emailed both the consulate and the border police at Munich for clarity.

I read that the transit rule should apply - otherwise why have it really? I hope this is correct.

I've already had BA cancel my flights to Stuttgart - with no alternative AT ALL offered until I called them. I thought about switching to Salzburg or Vienna a few weeks ago when flights were still cheap - now they are through the roof!! Sad

Plus my 2 have to NOT catch covid at school in the next 4 weeks. Probably unlikely.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Bedrock,

I am in a similar position to you. Planning to transit from Munich to Switzerland in a hire car with X2 unvaccinated teens Feb half term. I have been in email contact with the Munich Border Police to check if this can be done. They have asked for copies of our passports and proof of vaccination for my wife and I. I cannot find anything definitive within the German regs, so I am waiting to hear if they will approve our entry or not. Will update on here when I receive a response. Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The detail about allowing transit is contained within the regulations published on the German Foreign Office website

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/visa-service/EinreiseUndAufenthalt#content_0

Quote:
Exemptions from the requirement to quarantine:

Exemptions from the requirement to quarantine apply to persons who:

have merely passed through a high-risk area (not an area of variant of concern) without a stopover,

are only passing through Germany and leaving the country via the fastest route available, or

in the case of border traffic from high-risk areas (but not Areas of variant of concern): persons who have spent less than 24 hours in a risk area or are only entering Germany for a period of up to 24 Hours.

When the UK was defined as an "area of variant of concern" this did not apply but since the UK (along with a number of other countries) was downgraded to a "high risk" area at the beginning of the month, transit has been allowed again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Munich Irish, that is reassuring. I am hoping that I haven't opened up a can of worms by contacting the border police. I guess that if they say no then that's it, whereas we could have just turned up and been waved through.
Their initial response was to ask for proof that we could enter Switzerland legally. I supplied this as best I could based on the current regs. I had hoped that would be it, and that we would be given the green light for transit. I am not too sure why they have asked for copies of our passports and vaccine status, but am hoping that they are doing it to make life easier when we arrive in Munich Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have also asked the Munich border police!

My second issue is the 14 year old has 2 vaccinations - however her second was in Belgium (she has dual nationality) - ex wife took her skiing at Xmas and had no issues at Salzburg with the paper record of the second one, but we are totally unable to update her UK records with a foreign vaccination (until she's 18 apparently!)

I do think that transit (regardless of status ) should be OK - otherwise why allow it at all? Plus we'll only be in the country 3-4 hours I hope.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bedrock66, I cant see you will have an issue as far as Germany is concerned, if you are worried make sure your daughter has her Belgian passport with her. Not sure if she will have issues in Austria, as you will see from elsewhere the Austrian's are being pretty strict about checking vaccination status to get ski passes etc. The details for teenagers are far too complicated for me!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a reply from the Munich Border Police. Basically they have approved our entry to Germany. However, even though I have stated on a number of occasions that we are driving straight to Switzerland, they have supplied links to quarantine requirements, and clearly stated that "quarantine regulations must be strictly observed"
It is becoming quite onerous getting a straight answer. As Munich Irish mentioned further up the thread, transit without quarantine should be straightforward as we are within the 24 hour rule etc. I have emailed again for clarification.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is from the email I received....* Entry is possible under the current regulations **********
REASON: persons under 18 accompanied by fully vaccinated adults shall be deemed to be exempt from travel to Switzerland

They have phrased it slightly strangely. I think it should say exempt from restrictions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is very confusing. I'm off to Austria via Munich feb half term and up until now i've been pretty clear on what's needed in Germany and Austria but it seems to be constantly changing, 24th saw an update from Austria which seems to suggest that recovered no longer equates to boosted so we are back to PCR test for our teens (not too much trouble i know). There are also a few different sources for entry requirements into Germany and after spending an hour or two trawling through the all the lat paragraph on one of them says that if you are transiting through Germany to ignore all of the above regulations!!!! However what constitutes transiting also seem to be open to interpretation too!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am not sure about Austria, but the Munich border police initially wanted me to supply proof that we were permitted to enter Switzerland. We are.....as our vaccination status is acceptable and unvaccinated teens can enter Switzerland if their parents are good to go. I supplied them the latest info from the uk.gov website which they have accepted. As long as you can prove that you are allowed to enter Austria then I am sure you are fine based on the below.

Exemptions from the requirement to quarantine:

Exemptions from the requirement to quarantine apply to persons who:

have merely passed through a high-risk area (not an area of variant of concern) without a stopover,

• are only passing through Germany and leaving the country via the fastest route available,

• in the case of border traffic from high-risk areas [ (but not areas of variant of concern): persons who have spent less than 24 hours in a risk area or are only entering Germany for a period of up to 24 hours.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all your inputs. I see the Austrian rules changed for the better https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations#entry-requirements

fingers crossed all will be well. Skiing looks fantastic right now in Fiss Ladis Serfaus!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So the trip is on! (For now)

The reply to my request for clarification.

"there is no quarantine if you are going directly on the fastest way to Switzerland."

Thanks for everyone's input, and good luck with your holidays.

Cheers
snow report
Brilliant news, thanks for the update! Better start packing and/or doing some squats!
snow conditions
Just to summarise for anyone who searches this thread out at a later date.

2 double Vaxxed adults plus proof of recovery.
2 teenagers unvaxxed age 14 and 17
Confirmed that we can transit through Germany by hire car without the requirement to quarantine.
Munich have requested lateral flow or PCR 48 hours before. (Will do these 24 hours before as per Swiss regs)...will also supply proof of our accommodation booking if this is requested.
German arrivals form will be filled in with Munich Airport address as per Munich Irish advice (many thanks)
No PLF required for Switzerland as we shall be arriving by car.
Just hope that we have good weather as unvaxxed 17 year old unable to enter restaurants etc (so will eat outside) All ok to access ski lifts.

Now onto what is required to get back to Munich Shocked .......any ideas whether the transit rules apply re-entering Germany and whether we will need any tests? I don't really want to risk pissing off the border police by emailing them again! No tests required for the flight home as far as I can tell. Just the PLF. Thanks again.
ski holidays
I think to exit you turn up and go - that's what I'm doing!

On the testing front for entry - it's just your teens that need PCR's correct?
ski holidays
No, I don't believe PCR required for the teens for Germany just lateral flow 48hrs before. You've got me thinking, so will double check. No idea what you need for Austria.
ski holidays
Looks like lateral flow is ok as far as I can see.
latest report
Do note that you will get a text as soon as you turn your phone on / enter Germany along the lines of "dont forget to follow the quarantine regulations". Dont get paranoid they are not targeting you, everyone gets them. The way the regulations are phrased here is that everyone coming from a high risk area (basically everywhere) has to quarantine, however you can exit from quarantine immediately if you are fully vaccinated or get a test after 5 days. None of which applies to transit.
latest report
If your teens are unvaccinated you may have an issue with the airline though, regardless of entry requirements. We definitely had to show vaccine passes for our teens. Worth checking.
snow report
This is from the Lufthansa website. Looks like we are ok.

Traveling to Germany from High Risk Areas and Non-Risk Areas:

a. Entering Germany from High Risk Areas (e.g. Austria and Switzerland):

Travelers must register online before departure
All passengers (all nationalities) older than 6 years must provide one of the following medical certificates (in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish):

Negative COVID Test result (digital or printed): Either PCR, LAMP or TMA test, taken within 48 hours before departure from the first embarkation point, or AntiGen test, taken within 48 hours before arrival in Germany.

Proof of Immunity (digital or printed), issued after a positive PCR-/LAMP-/TMA-test, issued between 28 days and 90 days before entry

Proof of Vaccination (digital or printed): Completed vaccination, i.e. final dose has been given 14 days ago, the vaccine must be approved by Paul-Ehrlich-Institute.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy