Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski waxing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just brought some skis for the first time and used them for a short ski break (4 days on the mountain) at the turn of the new year. I wasn't proposing to get them serviced for our next trip, but should i get them waxed before I go for a full week after such a short break before ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Waxing (and leaving the wax on) will stop your edges rusting before your next trip. Not a difficult thing to do yourself, if a bit messy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FoxonthePiste, the thing is this … if you have the right wax for the conditions, it can last a few days. If you have conditions which is adverse for a specific wax then it can last hours. If you have space, (to store a few things and to get messy with wax) then it’s well worth buying a waxing iron (30-40gbp eg toko or holmenkol) and some wax (5-10gbp - eg butta or toko) and a scraper and a brush. After excellent tuition with Jon Coster many years ago I have learned to wax a pair of skis in a few minutes - set a sensible temp on the iron (absolutely never any smoking), crayon wax on, drip on liquid wax by holding the wax against the iron, then spread it out using constant movement of the iron, leave to cool, scrape and brush. Done. Do it twice and you have paid for a wax service. Do all that but without scrape and brush and you can store skis properly. Later you can learn how to sharpen edges….
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or, go for liquid wax (even though I like the whole therapeutic ironing, scraping and brushing thing). The new stuff is very good, not expensive, less messy (unless you spill Embarassed and even quicker)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks all for your recommendations. i spoke with Jon today and will probably go on one of his courses in the summer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FoxonthePiste wrote:
thanks all for your recommendations. i spoke with Jon today and will probably go on one of his courses in the summer.

Arrange the overdraft now for all the gubbins he'll flog you wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FoxonthePiste, @Dave of the Marmottes, ...excellent move...

If you just want waxing stuff he'll sell you that.
If you want edging stuff he'll sell you that. He's a top man.
I bought from him all the edging stuff - 88deg guide, clip, 3xmetal files, 3xdiamond files, 1xoxide stone. And some Ptex candles.
Still going strong many, many services later = probably over 200 services since there are 4 in my family.
Worth every penny.

I already had iron, wax, scraper and brush.
My partner bought a ski vice from Jon as a Christmas present. Excellent and going strong.

I later bought sidewall remover (holmenkol and then a skiman one), metal scrapers, and then splashed out on a Ptexgun for big repairs and those really irritating ones close to edges.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting....while probably not being arsed to do it all myself for my 1 or 2 weeks a year, I get them done in resort. I have a new pair of skis bought in summer '20 which are still in factory cellophane in shop. Should I get them waxed before my 1st trip on them 16th March or would the factory applied finish be OK?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dunc999, …some on here would say ‘wax immediately’. I think it all depends….I tend to use for a day and then check…and sometimes wax. Sometimes not. But we have all the kit to hand, and I can do it all before breakfast. I woudl value others’ views….
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tend to hot wax our skis every couple of days as their gliding performance decreases (not terribly unless the snow is late season slush, but noticeably). I also check new skis for base flatness and wax them. You don't absolutely have to, but for me, if I can notice the difference when skiing then it's worth the relatively small effort.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2 wrote:
@dunc999, …some on here would say ‘wax immediately’. I think it all depends….I tend to use for a day and then check…and sometimes wax. Sometimes not. But we have all the kit to hand, and I can do it all before breakfast. I woudl value others’ views….

Thanks, it's a long weekend so only skiing four days so my instinct is to leave it and maybe get then done at the end of day 1 if I think they need it. They will be soo slick compared to my old knackers anyway I'll probably not know!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy