Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turin Airport Is a Joke

Poster: A snowHead
They have 4 border guards checking passports for most Uk flights….. q snaked around airport and taken 1 hour for a simple passport scan pre boarding. All flights very delayed as a result. Be warned. I wont come back to a country that clearly cant or doesnt care or want to cope with simple processes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Have you seen Heathrow the last few months?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I passed thro yesterday afternoon, minimal queuing for me, very pleased with it on the whole, maybe I just got lucky then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunday has always been a bad day at Turin as most of the staff don't work on a Sunday, and there used to be very few flights apart from tourist ones. It's Italy, it's a Catholic country. Grin and bear it and just thank your lucky stars you've actually managed a ski trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
probably a lot as sickness absence as the Omicron variant mix rises.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Turin has been a joy this morning hasn’t it! It’s still better than it was pre-Olympics though. Only 2 hrs from landing to getting on the transfer coach today wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh the Joy's of flying to ski trips, remember many times turning up to chambers, Lyon or grenoble at 8 am and it always seem to surprise the airport that three or four plane loads of skiers would arrive or leave, good few times it took longer to collect bags than the flight took.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I wont come back to a country that clearly cant or doesnt care or want to cope with simple processes.

Is it just me that sees the irony in not adding the apostrophes to that post?

@robs1, had that at Gatwick

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 24-01-22 11:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They didn't ask to have to treat brits as 3rd country nationals. Self inflicted pain unfortunately.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter flew EasyJet Gatwick Turin yesterday (22nd), landed at 11:00 and no major issues.

On the other hand had friends flying into Grenoble from Gatwick, landing at 13:00 and I was in contact with them as I had the key to the flat they're using this week, and it was a nightmare.

After getting off the plane they then queued on the tarmac for 90mins just to get into the terminal building.

Took them just under three hours to leave the airport from landing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shep wrote:
They didn't ask to have to treat brits as 3rd country nationals. Self inflicted pain unfortunately.

This was from 93 to 2010 we have driven since.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Took them just under three hours to leave the airport from landing

Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's shocking, and totally inexcusable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Innsbruck Airport was beyond a joke this morning. Apparently a knock-on effect from loads of cancelled flights (snow) yesterday.

We queued for every minute of our 2 hours at the airport - ski drop, security, passport check, to board plane. Worst was security - back of the queue was outside the terminal Shocked

The overall result was zero social distancing and people squashed together like sardines. Facilities at INN are totally inadequate for the circumstances that arose today and it was a thoroughly miserable experience.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Innsbruck yesterday was ok. But you could see it was going to get hairy. At 08:30 there were already looooong queues for checkin / bag drop. We were travelling with a TO and had our flight not been delayed it would have been very tight.. (as in we arrive when they dropped us off, and cleared passports 10min AFTER the advertised boarding time..!!!)
snow conditions
A family party of 12 people spent many hours squished like sardines into Innsbruck airport because of fog - in several UK airports. We were issued with "vouchers" but the place ran out of food to exchange them for. We had grabbed a table, as we were amongst the early arrivals, but others were sitting round the floor. It's inevitable when small airports are trying to cope with many times the numbers they were designed to deal with. The roads into the Tarentaise can't cope either. It's just one of those things!
snow report
PlusNeige wrote:
They have 4 border guards checking passports for most Uk flights….. q snaked around airport and taken 1 hour for a simple passport scan pre boarding. All flights very delayed as a result. Be warned. I wont come back to a country that clearly cant or doesnt care or want to cope with simple processes.

Wasn't that the point of Brexit? Wink Sorry, couldn't resist...

Anyway, I've been stuck in plenty of horrible passport queues all around the world over the last 30 years, both leaving and entering. It's part and parcel of the travel "experience." One hour is not that bad, dude.
snow report
Quote:
The roads into the Tarentaise can't cope either. It's just one of those things!
The main difference being that covid isn't spread by the Tarentaise traffic jams wink Headlines every night on Radio Tirol were about the record number of cases... Confused
latest report
I have heard anecdotally that queues took up to 4 hours at Chambery yesterday.
I came through Lyon and other than a stamp it took no longer than the pre-B checks. So not sure why the queues are so big. But the first country that cracks it will gain more trade.
ski holidays
Well yes, but if anyone is so worried about covid that they can't cope with queues and crowds, they shouldn't be flying to Austria - or anywhere else. Pointless going and then moaning and fretting.
snow report
@PlusNeige, I came back through TRN yesterday, arrived 08.00, 10 mins to check in and drop bag, 5 mins security, found seats, had a nice, good value coffee and sandwich, joined the que for passports and though within an hour, on to our plane that was delayed leaving MAN a due to staff issues, exactly same problem leaving Manchester last week.
For comparison arrived MAN T2 04.20, 40 mins in snaky que to check in and drop bag, the que was twice the size by the time I had dropped bag, security 20 mins passports 5mins. Flight delayed by 85 mins due to staff issues.
Manchester is an major airport, TRN isn’t both had issues, TRN being they have a huge increase in the number of UK flights on Saturday and Sunday for 3 month that need passport checks, there’s no way they are going to increase the control gates or personnel for a country that left the party to cover that short period.

Will I fly into Italy again, yes, it’s a gateway for ski holidays, feel free to boycott it and make is less crowded for others.
ski holidays
I reached TRN a long time ago
Don't you see how slow they're reactin'
They only few and they work when they wanna
So get the bag cart and embrace the delay

Get up, get up, get down
T R N is a joke in yo town.
ski holidays
Don't give up the day job
snow report
Came through Turin, check in virtually straight away, security about five minutes. There was a shortish queue for passports but we didn't bother and just used the automatic gates; the whole row was in operation and nobody using them. Straight through, no waiting...

Did you try the automatic gates? There's even a border guard in a booth behind the gates waiting to stamp passports, if needed, looking very bored as he had nothing to do.

We've used Turin on a number of occasions I'll be very happy to use Turin again.
snow report
Quote:
Well yes, but if anyone is so worried about covid that they can't cope with queues and crowds, they shouldn't be flying to Austria - or anywhere else. Pointless going and then moaning and fretting

I'm more than happy to travel and ski under current circumstances. We've done two Alps ski trips since November and will be back in March. However, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that (according to many an expert) we still need to be very careful to minimise the risk of covid transmission.

There are far too many people, home and abroad, who clearly think it's all over, don't give a toss and who behave irresponsibly. It's just rather frustrating when so many people are trying hard to do the right thing.

There will have been a lot more people than me who were concerned about the Innsbruck covid crush. Anyway, I'm not overly concerned about catching it but certainly wouldn't wish to unwittingly pass it on to elderly and vulnerable parents/in-laws - or anyone else for that matter.
latest report
Well I feel the need to resurrect this post & actually somewhat concur with the sentiments regarding Turin airport.

Came back through this morning & it was utter chaos. TUI have far too many flights coming\going within a very short space of time. We were still checking in with 20 mins to go to our scheduled departure time back to Brum.

We didn’t spare a second with frivolities like grabbing a coffee or the loo & all charter flights seem to be being run with automatic delays to counteract the endless queues at every stage.

The icing on the cake today. A large group of us on the BHX flight have gone home without our bags (after being told our delay in Turin was actually down to them getting the last of the bags onboard).

So, as I’m due to ski again in 5 weeks, here’s hoping my bag appears soon or decisions to be made between rearranging or buying a whole new set of kit & boots. Joy.
ski holidays
@Chuckles3, it is Sunday, it has never been any better. Most of the airport staff do not work on Sundays, as I think Sunday working in Italy is a voluntary arrangement, plus add in staff off sick and surely you can sse why things might not go to plan.
When we used to do package holidays using Turin, it was always rubbish on a Sunday. Literally overflowing rubbish bins, cafes not open, and way too many TUI flights coming in an out in a short space of time.
Unlikely that your bags will be missing for 5 weeks though, most turn up within a few days. Good luck. Hopefully you have travel insurance and/or can claim from the airline.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, We’ve known the joys of Turin for years but todays experience (& last Sundays arrival) was definitely the worst we’ve known it for a very long time. There was little evidence of any covid protocols being followed apart from temperature scanning on entry & mask wearing. It’s definitely back to the bad old days of stack & pack them in.

There didn’t appear to be any issue with lack of staff terminal side (lots of desks open), it just seems to be too many flights within an incredibly short space of time (the normal joy for ski season airports), together with conveyors on check in continually failing so previous baggage couldn’t be despatched to make room to check in your own.

The irony with this is where, in 5 weeks, we’ll be going through again Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am flying into Turin with BA this Saturday at 18:30. Fingers crossed! Our flight back out the following Saturday at 19:30. I was hoping to get some skiing in on the Saturday but now I am wondering how early I need to get to the airport to be safe Confused
ski holidays
They always used to say that staffing shortages in that part of Italy were down to people tending their vines on their famiy plots - presumably pruning season at present. It was reputed that the major car factory shutdowns were always in the grape picking season. May be religion is used as an excuse on a Sunday.
latest report
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

I wont come back to a country that clearly cant or doesnt care or want to cope with simple processes.

Is it just me that sees the irony in not adding the apostrophes to that post?

Brilliant! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@turboblackbeard, Our friends have previously done BA into Turin on a Saturday with very few issues. It seems it’s the Sunday bunfight you’re doing well to miss. If I get my kit back in time & go on my next trip, it’ll def be the last charter Sunday one I do if I can at all help it.
snow report
Same at Geneva on Saturday. Terminal 2 chaos - walked to Terminal 1, got through security in reasonable time there, but queued for 40 mins at passport control - in the end we ran for our flight, only for it to be delayed for an hour as there were no passengers! If the TO got people to the airport earlier it would have helped. Our coach arrived at 9.22 for an 11.00 flight. That was never going to happen. it's been the same for as long as I can remember, as we have driven for the past 5 years and it was as bad the previous time we used GVA. As stated earlier - if any airport cracks this problem for weekend TO turnarounds, they will be very popular destinations.
latest report
Turin Airport really simple, friendly staff, no queues, no hassle. Ryanair pre Christmas was super easy. Might be ramping checks up now but id be more than happy to use Turin again.
snow report
You do know that the biggest joke was deciding not to join Schenectady and make it harder for yourselves?
ski holidays
Schengen*
latest report
@Snowheadette, think not.
snow conditions
Has anyone from the Turin to Birmingham flight on Sunday had any info regarding their bags or their bags turn up yet?
I tried to phone TUI but no joy.
snow report
@TOOTIE, I rang up BHX this afternoon (0121 767 7771). Can only speak for my bag but it’s apparently coming back overnight tonight via Paris & they said they’d ring me tomorrow to arrange delivery.
ski holidays
Thankyou. Will call them tomorrow
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy