Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First skiing holiday!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Our family is embarking on our first skiing holiday next month (gulp!).

We have 3 children under age 11.

Couple of things not sure about, tried searching but can't find definite answer.

We are staying in Courchevel, already got the children booked into morning ski school, my wife and I morning private lessons.

Was wondering about lunch, when we meet up with the children, do we have to pre-book places or is there more or less always availability in one of the restaurants/bars?

Other question, helmets, as first timers, some say rent, but if we buy wouldn't it be a better fit etc.?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always book in February, especially with young kids. Waiting 20mins for a table with tired and hungry kids is not fun. Half term is busy and restaurants near ski school etc will get filled up first. Renting is fine and saves the hassle of carting them over for 5 of you.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 25-01-22 17:59; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For the Courchevel lunch question it depends where you are going. It is better to reserve the higher end/proper sit down restaurants as they can get busy. Having said that I have rarely bothered in Courchevel and have generally been lucky so you can take your chances. There are some restaurants you'll never get a table at lunch without a booking - like the Bel Air, so if you fancy that, make a point of booking it. If you are going for fast food/casual dining you'll be fine in most places just pitching up.

The helmet thing is really a budget question. A rental one will be fine but one you buy will be more comfortable as it is bound to fit better. I'm sure they deodorise rental helmets etc but I've always thought the idea of a shared helmet was a bit gross. They do tend to be a bit sweaty.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@frozenwaste, Jealous of you! It is so exciting starting out in something new, especially if it is skiing!

Buy helmets would be my advice, and make sure they have the MIPS system or equivalent. The kids will be fine in rented helmets if budget is an issue, but better of you buy them.

Not sure if you are all beginners, but I always advise group lessons for those starting out. Private lessons can be great for sure, but it is a tiring business learning so the time waiting for others in a beginners group is not at all wasted. And the camaraderie is great to have, and funny! Also sometimes husband and wife would do better learning separately, although it does depend on the couple of course. I teach skiing and spey casting, and in both the women beginners almost always do better than the men but the men think they are progressing more quickly. To the extent of offering helpful guidance and tips which are actually not helpful at all, and often downright wrong.

For lunch I agree it depends what you are looking for. Proper sit-down lunch always book, self-service fast food etc you will be fine just rolling up. One tip is to either do an early or a late lunch to avoid the crowds (not that easy depending on timing of ski lessons). Another is to send one to find a table and one for the food. Self-service can be a bit tricky with just the 2 of you and small kids though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all your replies, very helpful Smile

@zikomo, great advice on the lessons, unfortunately had to take what was available as we only booked last week.

Helmets: Just done some browsing, now even more confused, do we go with visor or not, my wife wears glasses, was going to get prescription inserts next week!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@frozenwaste, where are you based, where are your lessons starting ending from?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ansta1, Ecrin Blanc hotel, I have actually just posted another question in the resorts forum. All confusing this haha!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lunch - I guess it depends on what kind of lunch you're planning to have. Everyone's eating habits are different but personally if we're staying in a catered hotel or chalet that serves a big breakfast, afternoon tea and 3 course evening meal we don't really need more than a drink and light snack for lunch so no need to book for that sort of thing. If you want to have a proper full on midday meal though might be advisable to book at busy times I guess?

Helmets - Particularly in the current climate I'm not sure I'd want to wear something on my head/chin from a hire shop that a potential sweaty Covid carrier may have been wearing less than 24 hours earlier. You can pick up very reasonably priced helmets from places like Decathlon for not much more than what you'd pay to hire them for a week and they're perfectly adequate for beginners.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you @SlipnSlide, helps so much, I think I'll buy the helmets.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@frozenwaste, only buy helmets if you go somewhere you can try them, and get advice. When I last bought a helmet I tried on loads and only one felt really good AND looked OK. And it was, of course, the most expensive. But I was likely to wear it a lot, so went with it. A sensible rental shop will be a better bet than buying online because you fancy the colour. Definitely rent for the kids.

If you only booked lessons last week you were very lucky to get anything. I hope you'll all be starting in the same place, or you're in for a sweaty first hour or so.

Just enjoy it, and don't get hung up on technical stuff.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@frozenwaste, can/does your wife wear contacts? From experience, I can say it is far easier to wear goggles and contacts. Same goes for helmets with pull down visors.

I don’t normally wear contacts, though I need to wear glasses from the second I wake up to when I go to bed. But for skiing and swimming, it’s contacts all the way. I have dabbled with prescription goggles etc, and I am not a fan.

As for helmets, the thought of pulling someone else’s sweat filled lid (probably only a few hours after they’ve take it off) over my head is quite off putting. You can get decent helmets for a reasonable price these days too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, if you’re buying helmets and goggles, make sure they fit together snugly. You don’t want a noob gap.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @pam w, @Timmycb5, would you go for helmets with or without visors. Unfortunately contacts do not agree with my wife!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@frozenwaste, I’ve never had a helmet with a visor, but that’s because I’m a knob with magnetic changing lenses for different light conditions and I haven’t seen a helmet that does that.

I think the most important consideration for you wife will be to get goggles that are specifically designed for people with glasses. They will have extra vents and a cut out on the sponge where the glasses arm sits on the face. I don’t know if you can buy helmets with visors that have this as standard.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @Timmycb5, she has an appointment with the opticians next week, they do an insert that will fit 99% of googles, I think the only choice was this or with helmet with visor, she'd be able to wear her normal glasses, but guess that's not ideal!
snow conditions
A goggles insert is a good idea.
ski holidays
You could do a lot worse than read through this thread, as this is your first holiday: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158271
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, that's a brilliant guide, thank you!
ski holidays
Personally I would feed the children a good snack (carry a thermos of hot choc if you can bear it) and go for lunch a bit later once the queues have gone down. Not a question you asked, but I always had a laminated card in each of the childrens' pockets with our mobile numbers and resort address on it - just in case they skied off in the wrong direction - which has happened more than once!
latest report
trmacc wrote:
Personally I would feed the children a good snack (carry a thermos of hot choc if you can bear it)

I'd be wary of carrying a Thermos while skiing (if that is what you mean)....too much falling and a Backpack complicates things on lifts.
snow conditions
frozenwaste wrote:
Thanks @Timmycb5, she has an appointment with the opticians next week, they do an insert that will fit 99% of googles, I think the only choice was this or with helmet with visor, she'd be able to wear her normal glasses, but guess that's not ideal!

It’s definitely not the only choice. You can buy goggles specifically to wear over glasses. The insert might be a good solution though. I haven’t tried them, but have tried prescription swimming goggles, and I couldn’t get along with them at all. I remember coming out of the water at a triathlon and I felt drunk because of them!
snow report
@Old Fartbag, yes that was what I was suggesting. Never found carrying one a problem (or quickly taking if off for lifts), and found it essential for lipsalve, suncream, spare gloves, water and all the other things I found I needed to carry when the children were younger. Often had a small flask with us with hot choc, esp useful if someone has got really cold and fed up.
ski holidays
trmacc wrote:
@Old Fartbag, yes that was what I was suggesting. Never found carrying one a problem (or quickly taking if off for lifts), and found it essential for lipsalve, suncream, spare gloves, water and all the other things I found I needed to carry when the children were younger. Often had a small flask with us with hot choc, esp useful if someone has got really cold and fed up.

My only issue is - learning is hard enough without falling on a thermos or dealing with a Backpack on a lift. An experienced skier is in a much better position to cope.
latest report
Try taking off a backpack when you're new to chairlifts and trying to shepherd a couple of complete beginner kids. I agree with @Old Fartbag, especially since I was once crashed into from behind by a Frenchman trying to overtake by squeezing between me and the edge of the piste. Smashed my thermos (which bruised my back) and spent the rest of the day soaked in coffee. There are a gazillion places to get a quick snack, in Courchevel and a couple of little choc bars will keep the wolf from the door.

I wear goggle inserts a lot and they're fine. They are totally different from prescription goggles. They were cheap in Albertville but will probably cost a lot more from a UK shop.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, Fair point re beginners, they have enough to contend with.
snow report
@frozenwaste, take enough little choc bars (mini Mars and the like) for everyone to put one or two in a pocket, each time you go out. They're cheap somewhere like Tesco. Any equivalent will cost a lot in Courchevel, and you won't want to waste time shopping.
snow report
SlipnSlide wrote:

Helmets - Particularly in the current climate I'm not sure I'd want to wear something on my head/chin from a hire shop that a potential sweaty Covid carrier may have been wearing less than 24 hours earlier.

I really don’t want to start another Covid debate here but the chances of catching Covid from surfaces is all but negligible.
I’d still avoid a rental helmet from the perspective of a previous sweaty client though Very Happy
snow report
@frozenwaste, Hope you have a great time! Your private lessons will be great, don't worry. But I would suggest having a chat to yourselves beforehand, and agreeing to never "coach" each other! Encouragement is great, husband telling wife what she could do better is not! My best advice is to enjoy it all, even the messing up and falling etc. If you are prepared to laugh at each other you will enjoy it all the more!

Be prepared for the kids to be tired after their lessons. At that age many will not want to ski in the afternoons and you should prepare for this (and you will also be tired!). You might consider a bit of a rest period after morning lessons/lunch and then some time doing something else - swimming/sledging/messing about in the snow/going for a walk. Some of the afternoons spent with my small ones that way are amongst the best family times we have had. In short, don't be too gung-ho about expecting to, and insisting on, everyone skiing every afternoon it can be counter productive if kids are tired.

All the best!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oldsnowy wrote:
SlipnSlide wrote:

Helmets - Particularly in the current climate I'm not sure I'd want to wear something on my head/chin from a hire shop that a potential sweaty Covid carrier may have been wearing less than 24 hours earlier.

I really don’t want to start another Covid debate here but the chances of catching Covid from surfaces is all but negligible.
I’d still avoid a rental helmet from the perspective of a previous sweaty client though Very Happy

This. Zero chance of getting covid from a rental helmet. There is a reason that we stick things up our nose to test for Covid rather than taking a sweat sample. Even if the virus survives on and is transmitted through surface contact (it really does not to any great extent) the gap between rentals will completely negate it. I would always clean a rental helmet with sanitisers anyway, so you know they are not harbouring anything else from the previous user! Just take some wipes with you for this purpose.
ski holidays
Thank you @zikomo, very good advice Smile
ski holidays
I would not rent helmets, for the reason that you don't know what sort of life they would have had. If they have had a knock already, which you wouldn't know, they could already be ineffective.

Helmets do not have to be expensive, all sold meet basic standards, and you will get a better fit.

For adults, helmets and goggles are ok and some can be very precious about exactly which goggles and lenses they get. For kids I would see if you could get helmet+visor, potentially lesser costs than a helmet+goggles but importantly goggles on their own are far easier for kids to lose than a helmet with a visor.
snow conditions
Are your ski lessons in 1650 or 1850, that will probably change your out look on lunch. But in both there are a couple of great sandwhich shops and there's some outdoor and indoor (heated and dry) picnic places. Can give you more choice and a change from the 10 euro hotdog options.
Courchevel is a great place for beginners you'll have an amazing time.
ski holidays
Not sure what type of accomodation you are in, apologies if I missed it

When self-catering apartments we always went back to apartment - was easier to let kids take off boots and other layers and relax properly we found. Obviously depends on how far you are from slopes.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
@frozenwaste, Hope you have a great time! Your private lessons will be great, don't worry. But I would suggest having a chat to yourselves beforehand, and agreeing to never "coach" each other! Encouragement is great, husband telling wife what she could do better is not! My best advice is to enjoy it all, even the messing up and falling etc. If you are prepared to laugh at each other you will enjoy it all the more!

Be prepared for the kids to be tired after their lessons. At that age many will not want to ski in the afternoons and you should prepare for this (and you will also be tired!). You might consider a bit of a rest period after morning lessons/lunch and then some time doing something else - swimming/sledging/messing about in the snow/going for a walk. Some of the afternoons spent with my small ones that way are amongst the best family times we have had. In short, don't be too gung-ho about expecting to, and insisting on, everyone skiing every afternoon it can be counter productive if kids are tired.

All the best!

Good advice. But its also true that all children are different. My son would happily ski all morning and afternoon with no complaints from about the age of 6/7. Madeye-Smiley

My wife on the other hand... rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
trmacc wrote:
Personally I would feed the children a good snack (carry a thermos of hot choc if you can bear it) and go for lunch a bit later once the queues have gone down. Not a question you asked, but I always had a laminated card in each of the childrens' pockets with our mobile numbers and resort address on it - just in case they skied off in the wrong direction - which has happened more than once!

^^One thing we did when our kids were young was to go back to where we were staying for lunch. Helps everyone to regroup and was a lot cheaper if everyone just had a sandwich. What we used to do was meet them after morning lessons, give them some cookies, then head back to the apartment, get out of wet clothes etc. Usually by 2 p.m. we/they were ready to go back out for an hour or 2, with dry gloves etc.

Re helmets: Up to your budget and ability to transport. 5 helmets take up a ton of space. And kids grow out of them pretty quickly. We've always rented, never had any issues. Just one less thing to worry about. That said, our teenage kids have nearly hit full head size so will probably buy them helmets next year.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
But I would suggest having a chat to yourselves beforehand, and agreeing to never "coach" each other!

That reminds me....when skiing behind Lady F, I could hear her chuntering away to herself. The faster she went, the more she chuntered.

On stopping, she admitted to giving herself a good pep talk and reminding herself of what she needed to do (in order not to die), as she got quicker and quicker. Toofy Grin
latest report
@SlipnSlide, True, it does depend on the kid. I have 4, and they have taken to all day skiing at different ages albeit quite a bit younger than the average for all of them mostly because they were exposed to short bouts of messing around on skis from a very young age. I would say based on experience of teaching that between 8 - 10 is when they generally have the energy and motivation for a full day, with many will be younger or older.

Young beginners in particular often find the whole thing exhausting, not least dealing with all the kit especially ski boots. I have seen many young children out on the slopes who were clearly tired and unhappy, and this is not the best start if you want them to develop enthusiasm for skiing. A flexible approach is probably best, if they are enthusiastic take them out in the afternoon but be prepared for an early finish if they start to flag.

Kids turning up tired to lessons in the morning is also a common problem, so good to make sure they get plenty of sleep!
snow conditions
WRT helmets (while I generally dislike the push for everyone to wear them, they make a lot more sense for beginners than intermediates (likely to fall in situations helmets are designed for)). Features like MIPs are worthwhile, but the MOST IMPORTANT factor is it fits properly - if it doesn't fit it is potentially far worse than not wearing one!

I suspect the limiting factor on helmets is carriage. They do take up a lot of space in a case. While I find it not an issue, I already have oversized luggage for hauling skis + alpine boots + touring boots + assorted other kit...

Remember skiing is a sport; Carry snacks and be prepared not to ski all day/fit in a rest period (may make food stops a lot easier).

This also gives an opportunity to fine tune clothing; I know what I want to wear for any given conditions, but other people have very different opinions on what is hot/cold so it isn't easy to advise. This also varies quite heavily on how much time you spend stopped vs moving and technique (snowploughing is hard work).
It is a lot easier to plan to go back so you can adjust at midday than decide you need to go back to change layers at 2pm after a lunch with an hours skiing to get back... The alternative is backpacks, but then you potentially need a big one to carry stuff for children as well as yourself.
latest report
Quote:

Young beginners in particular often find the whole thing exhausting, not least dealing with all the kit especially ski boots. I have seen many young children out on the slopes who were clearly tired and unhappy,

Good point. Skiing is a brilliant family holiday but it's quite different to most, in terms of the sheer physical and mental effort. And the altitude! I remember how quiet my family was on the drive home from a week's skiing, they were all exhausted.

I absolutely agree with @pam_w regarding a few choccy or cereal bars. I often found that passing one around while we waited at lifts would revive my kids.

The other top tip is remember to make every kid - actually, make that every family member - go to the loo when you stop for lunch. It is a different prospect entirely, when encumbered with ski gear it can take a while!

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time in Courchevel - we certainly did!
ski holidays
I'd also add: Decathlon is quite a good place to start when kitting out a family for skiing. We bought all our helmets there. You may be able to buy online then collect (and try on) in store, rather than going on the hope that there is stock in your nearest store.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy