Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric Vehicle route to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
SKia Optima wrote:
Orange200 wrote:
Model X not big enough for you???

I'm not a millionaire! Razz

Pff. Picky picky.

Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjs wrote:
SKia Optima wrote:
If only someone would make a big EV estate.

Not sure how big it is but how about the MG 5 SW?

I think it's more Golf/Focus estate size. And it has a face only a mother could love!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

^This. I have a Hyundai Ioniq 5 that’s supposed to charge at >200 kW. Well, I’ve only tried public charging twice, both times the temps were at -5…0 C and saw a max of 110 kW after hovering around 40-60 kW for the first 15-20 minutes. Maybe the car was warming/preconditioning the battery during that time.

Before Hyundai can sort that poo-poo up and configure the battery heater to be set on 15 mins before arrival to a charging station one can easily double the anticipated time at charging station.

This is my first winter of owning an electric car so I've limited experience of long cold trips. What I've found so far though is that at low temperatures, the pre-conditioning uses so much power it's simply not worth it. I was heading from the Piste office yesterday to a supercharger and the car was estimating 20% charge on arrival, but add preconditioning into the mix and I wasn't going to make it at all.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Preconditioning works well if you precondition while it’s still plugged in. If not then agree it’s not worth it, so only good if you can set a “be ready” time in the morning and charge overnight
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine loses about 2% if I precondition to warm the cabin with it not plugged in. Very much worth it to step into a lovely warm car after work or in the morning.

This is from temps around zero recently. In the summer, again getting into a cool car is ace. We've left it parked up at Gatwick for 10 nights and it lost zero battery, no phantom drain like has been reported for some Teslas.

Our other EV ( a Mini) has a much smaller battery, so uses more energy as a percentage of total, but we still use the precondition for 10 mins before setting off. We are usually able to limit charging to our 4 hour overnight cheap rate so the car isn't drawing from the charger during this time. If we have a long journey planned in the iPace then I will make sure it preconditions the battery as well by being plugged in and charging. Maybe done that 3 times ever in 15K miles with the car. I will try and do that at our overnights through France.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cheltom wrote:

This is my first winter of owning an electric car so I've limited experience of long cold trips. What I've found so far though is that at low temperatures, the pre-conditioning uses so much power it's simply not worth it. I was heading from the Piste office yesterday to a supercharger and the car was estimating 20% charge on arrival, but add preconditioning into the mix and I wasn't going to make it at all.

Hmm… that’s strange, I mean how powerful a heater can it be, installed in the car? I mean surely you’re absolutely right but I just can’t fathom this.

For a point of reference I have an electric sauna at home that draws 11 or 12 kW, can’t recall which, that warms about 80 kg of stone from room temperature to >200 degrees in an hour. Okay, maybe the stones are not that hot throughout but at least from the surface. Judging from that, a 11 kW battery heater should suffice to at least help in moving the battery temperature towards optimal 15 or so degrees in 15 minutes, while using about 4 kW (11 kW*15/60) of energy during this time, or about 5 % of the 75ish kW battery capacity. Those 4 kilowatts used in pre-heating will be compensated in a matter of couple of minutes if the options are charging a cold battery with 50 kW or a warm one with >150.

Applying this logic I still think that pre-heating a battery in a car that can accept higher charging power should be useful provided that the computer also can manage that the user can reach the destination (charger) with some margin.

Oh, and sorry for the thread drift.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lozza1uk, 3 hours total charging time over a 640 mile trip….
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, that makes a LOT more sense! I’ll get back in my box rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very helpful thread thanks. I'm driving out in a Ford Mustang Mach-E in April, so have taken notes!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@iainm, let us know how you get on - that is what I will probably order for my new one!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
iainm wrote:
Very helpful thread thanks. I'm driving out in a Ford Mustang Mach-E in April, so have taken notes!

Sponsored? Please be sure to put your review on here or link to Skipedia (sorry I don't get time/opportunity to listen to podcasts)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good spot @boredsurfin - can't quite afford one myself yet, but I've been 'loaned' one to try it out and report back. The big advantage of this (over my own Tesla 3) is the range - notionally 368 miles I think, so should be able to do it with fewer stops.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
iainm wrote:
Good spot @boredsurfin - can't quite afford one myself yet, but I've been 'loaned' one to try it out and report back. The big advantage of this (over my own Tesla 3) is the range - notionally 368 miles I think, so should be able to do it with fewer stops.

I've put the route into the links posted on the previous page for a Tesla and Mustang and they are pretty similar times/stops
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@iainm, what’ll be very interesting is the charging in the Mach E vs what you are used to in the Tesla.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, Have a Tesla S series - and have just taken delivery (literally) of a 3 - will be driving both to LaTania in March
snow report
hobbiteater wrote:
Alps? So basically your looking to arrive somewhere between Marseille and Zargreb, my first tip would be to find out where your destination is...

Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
My late ‘20 new model A3 2.0L Sportback diesel does 68 mpg average at 80mph, and will get me almost to Bavaria from Rotterdam before a refill, the last place I’d want to be is queueing at the side of an Autobahn waiting for the electric charge point….imv it’s going to be a while until the electric cars are able to compete with diesel regards ease of use for long journeys. Yes OK for a town car I get it but for serious km munching it’ll be another few years yet until my head gets turned.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
My late ‘20 new model A3 2.0L Sportback diesel does 68 mpg average at 80mph, .

This I struggle to belive - 68mpg at 60mph maybe. The reason I struggle to belive this is many moons ago I was involved in a fair bit of fuel economy testing, mostly cruise stuff rather than extra urban/urban. Approx 40mph was the most economical (regarless of vehicle), an aerodynamic and well geared vehicle didn't use much more at 60mph, but above that it was a steepening curve of speed/vs fuel economy. If you are managing 100mpg at say 50mph then maybee? - Most cars with trip meters were way off the Fuel used/measured distance
ski holidays
@Idris, its true….believe it or not its reality, modern diesels are very efficient.
snow report
Does anyone know of any supermarket or wine shop near the A26 (or other motorways on the main routes to the alps) with electric charging points ? We normally stock up on wine on the way back, and it would be good to combine this with a charging stop
latest report
@viv, There look to be a few charging points at the big E.Leclerc just off J16 of the A26, this is before the paid bit starts.
ski holidays
SKia Optima wrote:
rjs wrote:
SKia Optima wrote:
If only someone would make a big EV estate.

Not sure how big it is but how about the MG 5 SW?

I think it's more Golf/Focus estate size. And it has a face only a mother could love!

For a big ev, you can't go wrong with a skoda enyaq. This is has replaced my old passat Estate without a noticeable loss of space. Had it for 8 months now and love it. Great for multiple trips I've done around the UK up to 300 miles

Didn't risk it for my Christmas trip to les menuires though - the charging infrastructure and time meant we took my wife's diesel instead...
ski holidays
viv wrote:
Does anyone know of any supermarket or wine shop near the A26 (or other motorways on the main routes to the alps) with electric charging points ? We normally stock up on wine on the way back, and it would be good to combine this with a charging stop

I've not the information about charging but Saint Omer is not far off the A26 and, with quite a established infrastructure, would likely have suitable facilities. A number of larger shops such as Auchan there, amongst good choice of business generally. Lovely old town square with restaurants and cafè if time for that too.

Worthwhile searching for ev provision as it's close to the autoroute (that's effectively a bypass for the old town on travel route) also not far to Calais and easy to hang out there to time arrival to the crossing. All pretty relaxed to break a long journey.
ski holidays
Intermarche in Laon has a rapid charger. It's a back up charger on our route.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
My late ‘20 new model A3 2.0L Sportback diesel does 68 mpg average at 80mph, and will get me almost to Bavaria from Rotterdam before a refill, the last place I’d want to be is queueing at the side of an Autobahn waiting for the electric charge point….imv it’s going to be a while until the electric cars are able to compete with diesel regards ease of use for long journeys. Yes OK for a town car I get it but for serious km munching it’ll be another few years yet until my head gets turned.

Having done a few long trips (UK based) recently in an EV I think this is spot on. My brother did Brighton -> Liverpool and back on one tank of fuel with zero stops in between! I did a similar trip and had two 45min+ charging stops. Granted it's an iPace with a slower charging rate, so probably half that in a faster charging car like a Tesla and it does become a bit more doable.

But sitting at 100mph on an autobahn for hours would probably eat thru the battery at an alarming rate!
ski holidays
Tesla just opened 15 Superchargers in France to other EV users, sadly doesn't seem like any are useful going to the alps, but it may be the start of opening the network fully once testing is complete. Can only be a good thing.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/31/tesla-expands-program-open-supercharger-network-electric-cars-other-automakers-norway-france/
snow conditions
Nashy wrote:
For a big ev, you can't go wrong with a skoda enyaq. This is has replaced my old passat Estate without a noticeable loss of space. Had it for 8 months now and love it. Great for multiple trips I've done around the UK up to 300 miles

Didn't risk it for my Christmas trip to les menuires though - the charging infrastructure and time meant we took my wife's diesel instead...

I do like the outside of the Enyaq and it does look quite estate-like in the flesh. Not quite as tall as you’d think (which is good). Overall I preferred the Ioniq 5 though and could get the top spec model with AWD in my budget. Lead time on the Skoda was also a factor. They seem to be 9 months+.
latest report
New Ionity station just opened up at Aire de Barralle south of Arras. Will give it a go on Thursday as it's perfect location mid route from Maidstone Ionity to our overnight in Epernay.

Only came across it last night while browsing the maps as it has been open less than a week.

https://ionity.evapi.de/#/location/470
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For those that were brave enough to take their EV to the alps for Feb half term, how were the queues at the chargers en route? I got a Polestar a few weeks ago and normally drive to skiing, this year though I booked a package so that I could rebook easily if covid struck. After enduring the usual package trip chaos at the airport (though not as bad as the poor folks on BA who were queuing in Grenoble for the second day) I would really like to drive next year. The waiting times to charge are my biggest concern - we need to make regularish stops for the kids to stretch their legs and use the loo etc. anyway but I don't want to have to wait for ages to actually start charging.

Any advice/tips based on this year's trip?
ski holidays
Noticed there's another Ionity popped up just south of Reims at Champeury, and one just outside Troyes, so a lot more choice.
snow report
Kudos to you all who have done the trip to the alps in an EV. I get battery anxiety for my electric toothbrush and not sure how I would cope with an EV. I have a Merc E-220 diesel estate to which I strap roof boxes and bikes and think we would struggle to get our heads around extending what is usually a 11-13 hour drive door-to-door depending on driving conditions, roof box or dog being present. I am keen to get a EV but weighing up if we should get a 2nd car as a London run-around (dad’s taxi) or just wait five or so years until the battery and charging tech improves and in the meantime run down the current car.
ski holidays
Day one report. Left home in Chesterfield early, very quick top up at Milton Keynes Ionity, ( 10 minutes). then onto Maidstone Ionity, 42 minute charge there and we had breakfast, no queue at either, max speed MK = 47 kwh, ( only me there). and Maidstone was 85,

Got to tunnel at 1 hour before departure, delay signposted, so had a 15 minute free charge on their rapid at 50kWh. One stop in France at the above mentioned Aire de Barralle, no petrol there, so very quiet, no queue again, had a sandwich and a coffee and by the time I finished that, we were on the road again with 70% charge. I tried to keep between 20 and 80 % to maximise charging speed. Overnight tonight in Ay, just outside Rheims, where the car is inside the hotels garage on a charger which will top us up for free.

Very relaxing so far, did need to use my phone to pay for the charge in France rather than my chargepoint card, but that may be cos the charger is so new.

Heading to meet the rest of the party in BSM tomorrow evening, so a trundle down and 3 charges planned. Shouldn't then need to charge again out in the wild until day 2 of the return as hotel in Annecy has a charger.

Has taken some planning and thought, and I would hate to do it blind so to speak, but has been hassle free so far.
ski holidays
Day 2, first charger not initialising, ( Ionity) so a call to get it rebooted, and weirdly my chargepoint card was working fine today which made things easier. The other 2 top ups we did went without issue, one a lunch stop, the other a quick comfort break. Got to Bourg and thought we'd use a charger in the car park there while eating, but that one simply wouldn't work at all, so we left it. I had 110 km of range remaining for the trip up to Val D the next day. Of course it ate through the battery going up to Val and we arrived with 30km left of range, combination of cold and uphill. Again no queues are lack of charger availablity at any of the Ionitys. The chargepoint card does make it easier, and a bit cheaper as well.

It's had a day on a charger in neighbouring hotel in Val today for free, and I have plenty juice to get to our first stop on the way back in Annecy.
snow report
@endoman, thanks for the reports... I'm sure in a couple of years and during half term things might be tougher, but sounds like you're faring well =0)
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@iainm, what’ll be very interesting is the charging in the Mach E vs what you are used to in the Tesla.

Planning to use the Ionity network on motorways. Will report back
snow report
Heading to 3V with x3 Teslas at end of month - will report back.
Be interesting to compare Tesla journey / charging with other EV's
ski holidays
So the journey back started today, Val D'Isere to Annecy. We started with 51% and got to Bourg having used maybe just a percent thanks to all the regen. Put it on the charger in Super U car park ( free). My charge port flap had stuck shut, ( never happened before) so mr internet told me to pop it open with a big screwdriver! Fortunately I had on in ski tuning box, and it did the job. There's a reported issue so it's warranty fix when back home, without the screwdriver and rag we would have had to call out roadside rescue to open it,

We got another 10% or so while wandering round the shop, then a bit of traffic down to Moutiers but Waze took us on the back roads to miss most of it. We left ValD around 1 and including shopping were in hotel just outside Annecy by 5. Car is now on the hotel's free charger overnight.

the reported consumption coming down from Val D was 0 kWh / 100km!
latest report
@endoman, good to hear it’s going well. Do I recall your in an iPace?
ski holidays
Yep @kitenski, in the iPace. Last full day in France today, Hotel in Annecy was very slow at charging but got us enough to get to planned stop, an Ionity we used on the way down, Aire de Jura. Then a new Ionity near Troyes, no facilities, and the new Ionity stations don't like my Chargepoibnt card, so it was the phone again. Next stop at an E.Leclerc near Rheims, new chargers again, and no joy with phone or card, so rang them up and they restarted and initiated the session remotely, result was a free charge Happy I hope they get the newer chargers to accept the chargepoint card / UK debit card as it's a faff without that. Now in a lovely hotel near Bethune on their charger which is free and running a decent speed so will get us to 100% by the morning for the run back up home. ( they have 2 chargers here ) We have about 4 hours driving in England to do, so one 30 minute stop, and another very quick one should see us home.

Overall consumption has been just under 40Kwh/100 miles, so pretty decent as it's mainly autoroute, I did stick cruise at 116 km/h to balance driving time / charging time.

Yep we'd do it again, I'd leave more contingency for the last run up a mountain, but the network of Ionitys are sufficient to get down there with legs af around 250 km being easily achievable on a 40 minute charge. Something like a etron or taycan would charge much quicker, but really we've had a coffee / loo break and been ready to go again.

We had no waiting at any chargers, the Troyes Sud and Rheims Champfleury have zero facilities though. We got a drive thru McD's and ate that in car in Rheims. I think those are new chargers, in the last month or so, and hopefully they will sort out the niggles. If they ever fully open up the Tesla network then it's easier still.
ski holidays
@endoman, great reports - thanks! How do you find hotels with chargers? I've tried a few booking sites and wasn't able to figure out which had charging and which didn't.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy