Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - worth skiing a day in Galtur, Kappl, or See?

Poster: A snowHead
We're going to Ischgl on 29 Jan 2022 for a week. We're advanced-level skiers who like carving reds, steep blacks, off-piste (in the right conditions), hearty lunches, and good scenery.

Should we stick to Ischgl/Samnaun for all 6 days, or do you think we'd appreciate a day's skiing in either Galtür, Kappl, or See? If so, which of the three would you recommend, given our stated preferences?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 25-01-22 8:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied Kappl and Galtur a few times but never quite got round to See.
Both Kappl and Galtur can be pretty enjoyable for a day
Galturs skiing is north and east facing up at the head of the valley and often has the best snow in the valley though it can feel very cold if the weather is cold. The terrain is great though the number of pistes are fairly small.
Kappl also has some good skiing but catched a lot more sun which makes it warmer when the weather is cold but the snow may not be as good.
There can be a lot of day trippers on a Sunday who usually go to Ischgl and can create some pretty busy slopes and a few queues. We often used to ski Galtur on Sundays which is usually much quieter. Kappl still got busier on a Sunday but not as bad as Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T Bar wrote:
I've skied Kappl and Galtur a few times but never quite got round to See.
Both Kappl and Galtur can be pretty enjoyable for a day
Galturs skiing is north and east facing up at the head of the valley and often has the best snow in the valley though it can feel very cold if the weather is cold. The terrain is great though the number of pistes are fairly small.
Kappl also has some good skiing but catched a lot more sun which makes it warmer when the weather is cold but the snow may not be as good.
There can be a lot of day trippers on a Sunday who usually go to Ischgl and can create some pretty busy slopes and a few queues. We often used to ski Galtur on Sundays which is usually much quieter. Kappl still got busier on a Sunday but not as bad as Ischgl.

Thanks T Bar
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep The regular Ischgl/Samnoun area can get a little samey, and sometimes busy.
Absolutely worth skiing Galtur, Kappl, See.
They now form part of my regular activities for any visit to the area.
As T Bar says Galtur is great to ski at the weekend when Ischgl, in particular, is at its busiest. If Pistes are your thing you will be spoilt, and if you like a bit of easy to reach Side/off-piste there are some great little areas that are a lot less tracked than in Ischgl.
See whilst relatively small is really enjoyable, some great pistes, a few straight blacks which often are empty, bit of side piste/ski routes accessible directly from Zenis and Versing. The run down to the village is also a lot more enjoyable, and less crowded than any of the Ischgl routes.
Kappl has some great runs, skiing back in the evening allows you to drop into Schaffstal for a jaeger tee on the way back. Skiing is simply empty
no queues wide pistes and some decent ski routes/side piste. Although stay off of Ski route 15 as it's a nightmare unless there is plenty of fresh snow. Tiroller Hutte is my favorite refuel stop because it simple. If you are confident enough the 'extreme' ski route no.19 is a good ego booster.

All three are easy to reach via the ski bus, which is usually empty.

We will be back in the region from 4th Feb, amd will be skiing all of the areas on the Silvretta ski pass, can't wait, really missed not skiing atall last season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Bob for the excellent further information.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied two days in Galtur, before venturing to Ischgl the other year. Some nice runs, not extensive but enough to keep us all happy. Hopefully going again in March.

We stayed in Galtur (cheaper than Ischgl) easy commute on the regular bus service.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Skitech
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you've never been to Ischgl you'll probably be fine sticking to Ischgl/Samnaun - there's more than enough there to keep you busy without feeling like you're looping the same runs. If you've done it a number of times before it can get like that at which point a day trip to try something different makes for a nice break.

If you want to hedge your bets traditionally there's been a special area flexipass option for people staying in Ischgl/Mathon on presentation of your guest card (which your accomodation should give you). That gives you 4 days in Ischgl/Samnaun plus 2 days in any resort in the valley (though only 1 resort/day). Based on the 2018/19 piste map I have handy a standard 6 day pass was €254.50 and the flexipass was €266.50.

As to which of the 3, I've only done Galtur so far and it was a good one-day resort. The other's look to be about the same size so I'd probably pick on the day. If it's a Sat/Sun, or the snow's poor probably Galtur as higher up the valley and fewer day trippers make it that far. If it's mid-week and the snows good probably one of the others.

For the hearty lunches - the rotisserie chicken Alp Bella's a must (M1 lift) and the restaurant just below Idalp's another favourite of mine (Vider Alp I think). I'd skip the main self-service in Idalp for lunch but it does a good pre-ski home germknedle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Galturs great, The UK ski test was there a few years ago and it was really good, gondola off the backside gives access to some treat terrain and most lifts have a good mix of runs off each one. not huge but def worth a day or two and super quiet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not skiied in Kappl or See but spent a day in Galtur once whilst on a trip to Ischgl. Unfortunately, it rained most of the day spoiling the day somewhat. However, I was impressed with the quality of the area if not its extent and wouldn't hesitate going back.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrs MA and I skied all three in a recent Tirol road trip.

Pretty much as others have said - all have some fantastic cruising runs and all were very quiet to deserted during our visits. All are worth a visit.

See in particular has some nice steeper stuff, particularly the blast from the top to the middle station. The run to the gondola 'over the back' at See is also excellent. It was particularly deserted, with great snow as it's very shady.

The vertical at Kappl is impressive and the top to bottom runs are excellent.

Galtuer is just very pleasant all round. The black run down to the reservoir is great fun.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scrunch77, Worth it if you've got a car

Not worth it if you have to slum it on the bus
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone. We’re currently in Ischgl. Due to high winds most of the lifts are shut in Ischgl, Galtur and Kappl. It’s dumping down snow though, so hopefully things will open up more in the coming days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scrunch77,
If there's enough snow 3a can be a good run in bad weather as it is below treeline and gets a bit of shelter and usually quiet.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:
@Scrunch77, Worth it if you've got a car

Not worth it if you have to slum it on the bus

Yea, I mean who could stand walking down to catch a clean, empty bus that arrives when it should (think they even have the arrival countdown timers) and takes you from one convienient stop in Ischgl to another convienient stop in the other resort...
snow conditions
We spent Wednesday in Kappl and I’m very glad we did. It was the third of three consecutive days of heavy snow and high wind. The vast majority of lifts in Ischgl were shut but after establishing that most of Kappl was open we jumped on a bus and were there in 10 minutes. Had great fun both on and off piste. The tree-lined runs aided visibility. Bus home was punctual. Buses free with lift pass. Bus stops were conveniently located.
snow conditions
Glad you're enjoying it.

What's Ischgl apres ski like in these Codivd times? Are they going French so same as always but be prepared to all sit down if someone shouts "It's the rozzers!", or going Germanic so not just sticking to the letter but the punctuation mark of the law?
snow report
The rules were being followed pretty strictly in Ischgl. Covid pass (and in some cases photo ID too) required to enter all bars and restaurants, table service, and everyone out at 10 pm. Some will feel their fun is being curtailed, but it suited us fine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy