Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Bag - Checked or Hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
pctaylor wrote:
I do wonder why everyone thinks it's OK for your main baggage to be lost but everything's still fine if you have your hand-luggage boots?
And how much of a risk is it really that it actually happens? ... Very Happy
It's risk mitigation.

If my snowboard bag's mislaid, in my experience I can expect to get it back in something between 24 hours and a few days.
Meanwhile I'll borrow clothing and rent snowboards. Boots I can't sensibly rent or borrow, so those go in hand-baggage.

I've had snowboard gear get mislaid 4 times in three decades. I ride worldwide, although once my stuff was lost in LHR.
The last time for me was just before Covid as AC dealt with snow. My Australian friends on that flight never got their stuff back.

In a lodge with 100 people there will nearly always be someone who will be using borrowed gear at the start of a week.
Unless they're noobs, they will not be using hired boots because they're too well advised to take that risk.
wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Old Fartbag wrote:
hawkesbaynz wrote:
I purchased a nice Nordica boot bag for my first ski trip in 1986. I deposit my boots in it for storage in the loft. For the last fifty or so trips I pack it in a roller suitcase. I usually wrap some stuff in with my skis in a separate ski bag. I ski with a medium sized back pack or air bag so carry those onto the plane (sans air cylinder).

I keep meaning to take my Dakine roller ski bag and a large BA size carry on with my boots if I ever went economy. Due to a surfeit of avios points I fly business and leave the massive Dakine bag at home.

Didn't we all use Boot Bags in the 80s?....A time before there was a charge to carry skis. I have a Lange Thermofit bag from when God was a boy.

For many years now, I have used a Holdall with end pockets for Boots - which are packed with buckles facing inwards and then padded around with soft clothing.

Same here -pack our ski boots in the end pockets of our ski holdalls. Have two very old Snow and Rock holdalls , one in green and a larger one in red. Both great purchases and have lasted over 20 years , however now ripped and on their last legs.

Snow and Rock don't seem to do anything similar now.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Black Tusk wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
hawkesbaynz wrote:
I purchased a nice Nordica boot bag for my first ski trip in 1986. I deposit my boots in it for storage in the loft. For the last fifty or so trips I pack it in a roller suitcase. I usually wrap some stuff in with my skis in a separate ski bag. I ski with a medium sized back pack or air bag so carry those onto the plane (sans air cylinder).

I keep meaning to take my Dakine roller ski bag and a large BA size carry on with my boots if I ever went economy. Due to a surfeit of avios points I fly business and leave the massive Dakine bag at home.

Didn't we all use Boot Bags in the 80s?....A time before there was a charge to carry skis. I have a Lange Thermofit bag from when God was a boy.

For many years now, I have used a Holdall with end pockets for Boots - which are packed with buckles facing inwards and then padded around with soft clothing.

Same here -pack our ski boots in the end pockets of our ski holdalls. Have two very old Snow and Rock holdalls , one in green and a larger one in red. Both great purchases and have lasted over 20 years , however now ripped and on their last legs.

See my link above for a very affordable bag from Sports Direct.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
The Black Tusk wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
hawkesbaynz wrote:

Had a look - perfect, thanks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i"m a lazy so and so, and i cant be bothered to carry anything, so i check everything in to the hold, and no hand luggage, if it goes missing for a day, i"ll just go up a gondola, find a nice place to sit, have a beer and watch the world go by.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
compostcorner76 wrote:
i"m a lazy so and so, and i cant be bothered to carry anything, so i check everything in to the hold, and no hand luggage, if it goes missing for a day, i"ll just go up a gondola, find a nice place to sit, have a beer and watch the world go by.

Super-chilled. Like your style Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand wrote:
compostcorner76 wrote:

Super-chilled. Like your style Laughing

Yeah now this is the guy to hang out with. And I bet he's a better poker player than the hand luggage posse Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had a bit of a toil with Crystal as we hadn't pre booked ski carriage.
The TUI site wouldn't let me do anything until I checked in and once I'd done that I couldn't add any more bags.
Long story short, no boots in hand luggage, apparently no boots in suitcases either (which is a load of rubbish) and the guy didn't give us the right amount of extra baggage allowance. Hence boots ARE going in a suitcase (??? rolling eyes ) and a 10kg carry on will be needed.

I'm not sitting on hold for another three hours then speaking to someone with a fairly limited grasp of the English language to sort it out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Black Tusk wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
The Black Tusk wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
hawkesbaynz wrote:

Had a look - perfect, thanks!

How many litres do you think that Nevica bag from sports direct is... After filling your boots in the side compartments, is there enough room in the main compartment for rest of ski gear and normal clothes for a week? It's looks too small in the pics for some reason Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spike107 wrote:

How many litres do you think that Nevica bag from sports direct is... After filling your boots in the side compartments, is there enough room in the main compartment for rest of ski gear and normal clothes for a week? It's looks too small in the pics for some reason Puzzled

Not sure - maybe 120. It should be enough for a week's skiing.....it is for me and I put a Travel Kettle and a Helmet in it. Once the Boots are in the side pockets, there is still room for clothes. Don't forget, you also have hand luggage.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Spike107 wrote:

Not sure - maybe 120. It should be enough for a week's skiing.....it is for me and I put a Travel Kettle and a Helmet in it. Once the Boots are in the side pockets, there is still room for clothes. Don't forget, you also have hand luggage.

Cheers taking a punt on it thanks...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spike107 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Spike107 wrote:

Let me know what you think when you get it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Old Fartbag, I ordered one and, less than three hours later, tried to cancel my order as I belatedly realised that it was bigger than I wanted. No luck. Even the budget airlines don't behave like that. How about this for T&Cs? "Once you’ve placed your order it starts going through the system straight away, so that we can get it to you as fast as possible. This means you can’t cancel your order or make changes to it. This includes adding or removing items, changing colours or sizes, changing delivery address, delivery option or email address on the order." They in fact didn't process my order until 24 hours later, since they emailed to say when they had done so. Hey ho, another one down to experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I ordered one and, less than three hours later, tried to cancel my order as I belatedly realised that it was bigger than I wanted. No luck. Even the budget airlines don't behave like that. How about this for T&Cs? "Once you’ve placed your order it starts going through the system straight away, so that we can get it to you as fast as possible. This means you can’t cancel your order or make changes to it. This includes adding or removing items, changing colours or sizes, changing delivery address, delivery option or email address on the order." They in fact didn't process my order until 24 hours later, since they emailed to say when they had done so. Hey ho, another one down to experience.

Oh Dear - It is a large holdall.

Maybe someone on here would buy it off you, if you put it up for sale.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, seems a bit severe. Lucky wasn’t ordering from them when my last internet purchase went through twice by mistake.

At least you can still return it within 14 days of receipt or to store. And if you paid by paypal you can get the post back too.
snow report
ster wrote:

At least you can still return it within 14 days of receipt or to store. And if you paid by paypal you can get the post back too.

Good point - Distance selling regs apply.
ski holidays
I might keep it and junk a similar sized bag which I've had for donkey's years, but which doesn't have wheels. I'm unlikely to use it for skiing, but the side pockets will still be useful.
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
I've got one of these and because you can wear it back pack style (and its ostensibly obscured from airport staff)

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_DLX_Cargo_Pack_SkiSnowboard_BootHelmet_Bag_55L_Black-(111149)

I've never been pulled even with it being slightly oversize for most hand luggage dimension restrictions . . .

Do you think you could squeeze it down to fit within the cages some airlines use for measuring if you were challenged and needed to?
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
I might keep it and junk a similar sized bag which I've had for donkey's years, but which doesn't have wheels. I'm unlikely to use it for skiing, but the side pockets will still be useful.

If you change your mind, you can still return it, possibly to a store rather than via post / courier.

As others have said, distance selling regulations / statutory rights still apply. They just don't allow you to cancel / change the order originally made once purchased / paid for so their processing of the order isn't affected.
latest report
@jebroni3_16, yes I know, thank you.
snow conditions
homers double wrote:
Just had a bit of a toil with Crystal as we hadn't pre booked ski carriage.
The TUI site wouldn't let me do anything until I checked in and once I'd done that I couldn't add any more bags.
Long story short, no boots in hand luggage, apparently no boots in suitcases either (which is a load of rubbish) and the guy didn't give us the right amount of extra baggage allowance. Hence boots ARE going in a suitcase (??? rolling eyes ) and a 10kg carry on will be needed.

I'm not sitting on hold for another three hours then speaking to someone with a fairly limited grasp of the English language to sort it out.

Probably to close to departure date ?

I was able to add Ski Hire to my booking using their 'Manage my booking' portal 10 days ago (cannot do anything now tho' as to close to departure date..)
snow conditions
I have one of these to take my boots on the flight... cant fit much more in other than the boots but I tend to travel light on hand luggage anyway .
I often sneak a small reporter bag alongside for documents and ipad ... no one ever queries it...

https://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/boot-bags/7035-lange-basic-duo-boot-bag-2021.html

I am the opposite view of a previous poster early on in the thread ... if my suitcase got lost - I can buy all the gear in resort easy peasy within a couple of hours of getting to resort.
We never usually ski the first afternoon anyway...

And would not spoil my week - insurance would cover it

My lovely expensive fitted ski boots would be more problematic.
And hire boots have the potential to really cock things up for at least a day or two...
ski holidays
No, just a faff using the TUI extras site. All sorted now.
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
I have one of these to take my boots on the flight... cant fit much more in other than the boots but I tend to travel light on hand luggage anyway .
I often sneak a small reporter bag alongside for documents and ipad ... no one ever queries it...

https://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/boot-bags/7035-lange-basic-duo-boot-bag-2021.html

I am the opposite view of a previous poster early on in the thread ... if my suitcase got lost - I can buy all the gear in resort easy peasy within a couple of hours of getting to resort.
We never usually ski the first afternoon anyway...

And would not spoil my week - insurance would cover it

My lovely expensive fitted ski boots would be more problematic.
And hire boots have the potential to really cock things up for at least a day or two...

Yes - exactly the same as the Rossignol bag (same company!) and they are brilliant. That sleeve in the back is perfect for all those printed out Covid 19 certificates.....

Agree about boots in hand luggage. After years of so-so ski boots having them fitted properly by Colin at S4F I will always carry my boots with me and I have had luggage go missing. On one occasion a guy at the carousel walked off with my shiny new boot bag (covered with a jacket), said they were his then, when requested to show his luggage receipt, said he didn't know how they got onto his trolley and literally disappeared off.

Anything else gear-wise can be easily substituted but not bespoke fitted boots.
latest report
ptex wrote:

Yes - exactly the same as the Rossignol bag (same company!) and they are brilliant. That sleeve in the back is perfect for all those printed out Covid 19 certificates.....

Agree about boots in hand luggage. After years of so-so ski boots having them fitted properly by Colin at S4F I will always carry my boots with me and I have had luggage go missing. On one occasion a guy at the carousel walked off with my shiny new boot bag (covered with a jacket), said they were his then, when requested to show his luggage receipt, said he didn't know how they got onto his trolley and literally disappeared off.

Anything else gear-wise can be easily substituted but not bespoke fitted boots.

I should have read all the thread before posting ! Where is the facepalm emoji ?

Embarassed
ski holidays
Those bags are such a good solution its worth posting!
snow report
Always put them in a hard shell carry on suitcase. Easy to pack stuff around. Just stored in a boot bag at home!
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
Spike107 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Spike107 wrote:

Let me know what you think when you get it.

Arrived today, what a cracking bag... Loads of room in the main compartment and can still pack some items in the boot compartment. Pull handle seems pretty sturdy as well. Hopefully the material will hold up against baggage handlers Very Happy

Thanks once again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spike107 wrote:

Arrived today, what a cracking bag... Loads of room in the main compartment and can still pack some items in the boot compartment. Pull handle seems pretty sturdy as well. Hopefully the material will hold up against baggage handlers Very Happy

Thanks once again

I'm glad it's suitable.
ski holidays
I use a normal BA size cabin bag, can get boots and ski kit in, plus one change of clothes. everything else goes with the skis and 23kg hold bag and hopefully arrives before you leave!
snow conditions
I always assumed that for 99% of people the whole point of a boot bag was the ability to take boots as carry on luggage?! If not just stuff them in main ski bag rather than the need for 2 bags.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
Easyjets new luggage policy makes this difficult to carry on

why? AFAIK it still meets the dimensions
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
I always assumed that for 99% of people the whole point of a boot bag was the ability to take boots as carry on luggage?! If not just stuff them in main ski bag rather than the need for 2 bags.

Almost any airline's strict baggage policy is going to reject a ski boot bag as carry on luggage unless you have dainty feet or some very retro rear-entry boots, or you simply don't use it as a boot bag. BA (who are rarely strict, despite people taking the p*ss), say 25cm as the smallest dimension, TUI say 20cm. A small boot bag may just about be 20cm across the opening at the back but as soon as you put a pair of boots in, it will bulge by 5cm or more and my Fischer one has a side pouch taking it to about 28cm.

Having resolved not to risk my boots getting lost (I have weird feet) nor have a debate with TUI about hand baggage on a family holiday this New Year, I've just ordered one of the Rossignol Hero Dual bags mentioned last year. With that in rucksack mode, a skibag over my shoulder and a roller bag, I'm self propelled in a stress-free way. Trying the same with a boot bag with only a shoulder strap is a lot more hassle. I'm also planning to do Glasgow to Grenoble and back by train in February so It's an investment purchase Very Happy

I found the cheapest way to buy this, despite £19 postage, was to get it from Glisshop at https://www.glisshop.co.uk/boot-bags/rossignol/hero-dual-boot-bag-hero-dual-boot-bag20541720 (use the "HOT" discount code). I've used Glisshop in the past for skis for one of the kids (IIRC) and they were good. Also, they have the old red-and-black model not the violent pink QR code design that replaced it.
ski holidays
@tsgsh, Bought the Rossi Hero Dual boot bag, excellent choice, perfect for taking boots as cabin baggage, and also fits into my LV 52cm bowling bag. Bought on Ebay a couple of years ago for £30, not cheap but certainly worth the "investment".
snow report
tsgsh wrote:
... Almost any airline's strict baggage policy is going to reject a ski boot bag as carry on luggage unless you have dainty feet or some very retro rear-entry boots, or you simply don't use it as a boot bag. BA (who are rarely strict, despite people taking the p*ss), say 25cm as the smallest dimension, TUI say 20cm. A small boot bag may just about be 20cm across the opening at the back but as soon as you put a pair of boots in, it will bulge by 5cm or more and my Fischer one has a side pouch taking it to about 28cm. ...
You're misunderstanding what those dimensions mean. There's no problem at all taking boots in your cabin bag with BA tourist class. Or anyone else's in my direct experience. It's an internet-only concept, like "summer tyres".
ski holidays
I fit two largeish ski boots tetris style into a 30 litre zip rucksack. Don't have an issue with dimensions. Obviously don't use a side by side triangle boot bag if you're trying to fit in the hand baggage gauges.
snow report
phil_w wrote:
tsgsh wrote:
... Almost any airline's strict baggage policy is going to reject a ski boot bag as carry on luggage unless you have dainty feet or some very retro rear-entry boots, or you simply don't use it as a boot bag. BA (who are rarely strict, despite people taking the p*ss), say 25cm as the smallest dimension, TUI say 20cm. A small boot bag may just about be 20cm across the opening at the back but as soon as you put a pair of boots in, it will bulge by 5cm or more and my Fischer one has a side pouch taking it to about 28cm. ...
You're misunderstanding what those dimensions mean. There's no problem at all taking boots in your cabin bag with BA tourist class. Or anyone else's in my direct experience. It's an internet-only concept, like "summer tyres".

I'm really not "misunderstanding what those dimensions mean": they refer to the maximum permitted height, width and depth of the hand luggage. Various airlines can be more strict than BA (who don't care, but I'm not flying BA this time) and they have the right to refuse to take them in the cabin and to put them in the hold and to charge you for the privilege. Plenty of airlines have cages for measuring hand luggage, either because of limited overhead capacity (remember EasyJet?) or to speed boarding/turnaround times or extract a bit more revenue. Around 2016 easyJet started enforcing "ski carriage is per pair of skis not per bag" and it's in Crystal's [TUI's] Ts&Cs now. I can easily take the bindings off two pairs of skis and fit them in a single-sized ski bag but I'm not going to.

I've not been on a package tour this millennium but COVID made a DIY family holiday seem like a bit of a gamble. I'll be cautious and comply with the baggage rules, you can continue to ignore them because that works for you.
ski holidays
Most people manage to work out how to get a pair of boots into a maximum legal carry on without breaking any rules. I'm extremely impressed that you can't though wink
snow conditions
I think @tsgsh is not saying that you cannot take ski boots in an acceptable piece of hand luggage, but that standard ski boot bags’ dimensions don’t come within the airlines’ hand luggage dimensions , thus you cannot just buy a ski boot bag and expect to take it as carry on.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
I think @tsgsh is not saying that you cannot take ski boots in an acceptable piece of hand luggage, but that standard ski boot bags’ dimensions don’t come within the airlines’ hand luggage dimensions , thus you cannot just buy a ski boot bag and expect to take it as carry on.

Exactly. Thanks @ster. I have a couple of "legal" carry on bags I could fit my boots in easily but not a rucksack that would do the job. So I bought one. Simples.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy