Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift rollback accident in South Korea

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A chairlift in a South Korean ski area had a rollback accident on Saturday, injuring some skiers! https://liftblog.com/2022/01/22/lift-rollback-causes-injuries-damage-in-south-korea/?fbclid=IwAR1k3158X9J4ZDDxxuHHz3AinKl-HWbm3XgW7P85gOEQKs69o1j6xTe3fy0
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yikes it's carnage in that video Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blimey. Vids like that don’t do much for my recently acquired phobia of chairlifts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why didnt somebody press the emergency stop button.
We were going up the bubble from the bettex mid station in st gervais end of last wk when a guy fell down into the track behind the cabin we were in, not sure why as it wasnt busy, the lady lift operator tried to pull him up but decided just to push the stop button behind her, he wasnt hurt and saw him using it again yesterday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's likely that a "failure" on the arrest brake was present either through components or fudged in testing, as the Italian cable car was, to facilitate this.

In all probability the stop had been pushed (in a likely sequence of operation) at which point the line brake measures are automatically implemented, and need resetting to re-start the lift. If that failsafe system is impaired, then this can result.

At which point no controls have any real effect. Safety check routines should be fully implemented as the most important measure to avoid situations like this.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
robs1 wrote:
Why didnt somebody press the emergency stop button.

The emergency or other stop button has long since been pressed.
This is a lift that has mechanical failed and is going backwards due to gravity.
There will be a mechanical brake but I doubt the operators don't know of it's existance, let alone how to use it.
In many countries operators are tought the very basics of how the lift operates and how customers use it. They are not tought how the machine works or how to do any maintainance including how to clear faults or how any of the backup systems work.
The 1959 Draglift that I run at work has an electrical braking system and a mechanical (car drum brake) system as well. If you use the mechanical one it trigger the electrical one also. But once the lift has stopped, inertia and friction withn the system itself is all that stops it moving. Being a one way lift it does have a mechanical rachet system to stop it going backwards. However with a fully loaded lift on a cold afternoon I have had this fail. Once the lift stopped it started to go backwards, it's only a Pomma type lift and most people have the good sense to get off. But it still started to accelerate because at lest 10 people didn't get off. I had to put full body weight on the mechanical brake to stop it. Empty it takes not much more than the weigh of my arm to stop it, even with the power off!
Detachable chairlifts like this one have no anti reverse rachet as the are designed to be run in reverse. The saving grace with this particular lift (and I think true of all detachables) is as gravity force the thing backwards it has to drive the whole system backwards incluting the load/unload mechanisms. These are mechanicaly inefficient, hence the lift running at a relatively low speed and most people able to get/fall off in the loading area.
Fixed grip chairlifts are wild when the run away, but all should have anti reverse mechanisms, that should be checked daily - in France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany this check is required by law...we have 3 pomma lifts and 2 rope toes and have been visited twice this season by the authorities (the french are currently taking lift safety very seriously.....something in Italy last autumn bla bla).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Every day is a school day, interesting
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robs1, indeed very interesting, after the Galtur failure the issues IDRIS raises about staff training and knowledge is a crucial one.

I wouldn’t want a pilot getting on an A300 and asking the passengers ‘How does this work, then…?’
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy