Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TravelSki train tips

Poster: A snowHead
This season, has anyone bought a package from TravelSki and taken the direct train from St Pancras on Friday night to Bourg St Maurice or Moutiers?

What was it like?
Did anyone sneak booze onboard?
What time were you skiing on the Saturday?
Did they provide somewhere to leave luggage?
Was food included in the Eurostar premier seats?

We've booked for Val d'Isere mid-March. Very good value for apartment + ski pass + train + transfers. Booking on the website was OK. Interested to hear any thoughts.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve done the train overnight twice before, and for me, never again. Once before they banned booze and we had little kids with us. Lack of sleep killed us all for 48 hours.

Second time people snuck on booze in shampoo bottles, and proceeded to drink it and wander up and down the carriage telling people how clever they were.

I struggle to sleep in a seat, so tried sleeping on the floor under the seats - plenty of space loads of people did this. But said ladies' front bottoms with booze ruined it.

We did it once with a package and transfers, and check in and breakfast and sorting kit for 2 adults and 2 kids meant skiing by about 11am. With no rushing.

We also did it a second time (should have learnt from the first, but no kids) and independently. We got off the train breakfast in bourg. First funicular at 8am. Skiing by 9.15 as we had to get skis.

Tbh we prefer the train than anything else, but daytime not overnight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There won't be anyone with direct experience of the TravelSki service yet, as the first running is 28 January. But also interested in your questions, for a possible trip later this season; in particular any arrangements for luggage / changing on arrival, prior to being able to access accommodation.

I've previously travelled on the direct overnight Eurostar many times, and found it okay - and worth the discomfort for the day (or two) extra skiing. More peaceful (= more chance of sleep) since the booze ban was introduced - no-one wants to risk being ejected mid-journey. No reason why you shouldn't be skiing by around 10:00 Saturday, or even earlier with your own skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We’re booked to take the travelski express on Friday Very Happy so I will let you know how we get on.
Travelski have included a left luggage voucher for the first day (we are heading to Tignes and the left luggage is at the maison de Tignes)
Have taken the Eurostar ski train previous and are normally skiing by 9.30ish
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks rara. Have a great trip!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going out this Friday, so will let you know. See you on the train @rara1989

Going to Les Arcs, apparently I'm the only person going there, so will take the funicular when it opens at 0730, aim to first lift at 0900
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@@iainm, Eh oh! Eh oh!

I’m very excited now, hoping the train isn’t too busy so we can stretch out
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Please report back on how the journey went. I am looking at doing the 3V's in March with kids.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't know what it is like these days but when I was ski repping 10+ years ago, we had several incidents of items being stolen from luggage on the ski train. Also, clients were arriving early morning and hadn't been warned that: they couldn't get into their apartments until late afternoon; there was nowhere secure to leave their luggage and nowhere to change into ski gear, except public toilets. Having said that, I took the day train back from Moutier, on a couple of occasions, and it was great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rara1989 wrote:
@@iainm, Eh oh! Eh oh!
I’m very excited now, hoping the train isn’t too busy so we can stretch out

Given all the problems with French Travel Ban, I'm not expecting it to be busy. Hoping we'll be able to stretch out, but not expecting to sleep well...
Who cares if you can get the first lift!

re accom on arrival, I've checked on my situation and I have somewhere to change and leave my kit on arrival. This is key and I'll be interested to hear how it's handled in other resorts
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Telegraph article:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/board-inaugural-service-new-ski-train-alps/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have chatted at length with 2 groups who arrived on Sat mornings train into Bourg.

1. Very good value so can't moan too much!
2. Train seats uncomfortable to sleep, floor an option for skinny folk.
3. Strict on booze ban, hip flask spotted and emptied.
4. Breakfast on board big thumbs up.
5. Transfers fine.
6. Both groups reported gaff with accommodation. 1 group sent to wrong village. One told apartment was ready, to find a couple still in it. Seems day 1 doors between Travelski and Tignes Development could have been better.
7. Had to pay €15 supplement for linen.

Overall, good but some niggles, but 650 quid for travel, transfer, accomm and liftpass (€370 on its own) a resounding good deal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/7oScG28dQkQ&ab_channel=Skipedia
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Me and the Mrs are taking the snow train in March, mainly to avoid the airports but interested to see what recent experiences have been. We're going to Les Arc, my old stomping ground from my first season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In answer to your questions:

What was it like? Great, if you're happy to have a poor night's sleep (or are amazing at sleeping)
Did anyone sneak booze onboard? Maybe, but I saw several poeple have booze confiscated at LSP (detected at security)
What time were you skiing on the Saturday? 0920 at the top of the lift
Did they provide somewhere to leave luggage? Didn't do the Travelski package, but my understanding is that it was provided
Was food included in the Eurostar premier seats? Yes, choice of dinner meals and slighly wierdly breakfast at 4am
ski holidays
Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.
snow conditions
@iainm how do you book the train without the travelski package?
ski holidays
@rara1989, Any updates please - any experience from anyone who booked a package with Travelski??
ski holidays
turboblackbeard wrote:
@iainm how do you book the train without the travelski package?

You can’t (at the moment), its a package
snow report
any recent experiences of travelski express? trustpilot reviews looking average at best.
latest report
@Macker13, as the train only runs once a week, I think, the reviews above seem pretty recent and indeed comprehensive (including a vlog). Is there something in particular you need to know, then maybe indicate what that is.

I assume you have already booked it and cant pull out even if the reviews are not to your liking?
ski holidays
My son has just booked a package with Travelski (including train) departing on 4th March, so I can report back then.
He did find a response on FB for someone who travelled last week - reply was positive - train quiet so everyone was able to spread out.
So far everything had gone smoothly re transfers and accommodation etc.
I guess what we would really like to know if Travelski are able to offer a 'worthy' package
snow report
Hi @Dippy, I assume seating is allocated, rather than a free-for-all?
latest report
@NickYoung, Well yes it was pre covid - son not received any booking info yet - so watch this space - but I'm sure it will be.
snow report
So had email yesterday saying final payment would be taken today. It hasn’t been taken. Puzzled
ski holidays
Sons payment took a couple of days to clear on credit card.
Received all documentation via email 1 week before travel - all looks ok
He did have to phone to change a name as it was wrong - took around 40 mins to get through, but changed no problem.
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:
Hi @Dippy, I assume seating is allocated, rather than a free-for-all?

Yes, allocated seating
latest report
@iainm, Cheers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update from sons recent trip.
All paperwork / vouchers received and used with no problems.
Train out overnight - not very comfortable but there were some empty seats so you could spread out a bit - someone slept in the aisle!
Arrival and transfer all - they were on the slopes by 10-10.30
Used baggage storage for day 1 - all ok just quite a bit of walking with ski boots etc.
Apartment very basic and small but clean - it done the job. It was on the piste so good location.
Return journey was more comfortable - as not so tired.
Would they do it again - yes but would prefer day time travel.
Was it good value for money - yes
They went to Val d'Isere
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy