Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking of a trip to France in April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Thinking of booking the ferry to France for the easter holidays (for us that's 9th to 24th of April). Ferry from Dublin/Rosslare to Cherbourg and then drive down towards the alps with the caravan. Would be hopeful of getting a general French caravan holiday along with a few days skiing for a family of beginners (competent on blues) and me on my snowboard. We have been to France at easter before and really enjoyed the trips, but never looked t skiing at that time. It's a new found hobby that the kids love (13,11,7).

Any recommendations for areas that might still have some snow and a reasonable selection of blues.

The other question is on tyres - are winter tyres required at that time of year if we do find a valley caravan site with a drive/ gondola etc up to some snow.

Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

are winter tyres required at that time of year

Winter tyres aren't "required" in France at any time of year, though they're often a good idea. Here's a suggestion: https://www.champ-du-moulin.com/en/campsite-les-2-alpes-venosc.php
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From 1 November 2021 until 31 March 2022, several French départements, including Ain and Haute-Savoie, will require cars to be equipped with winter tyres or to have snow chains in the boot. The aim of the new regulation is to enhance road safety by reducing the risks associated with driving on snowy or icy roads

so you needn' t worry in April and at that time of year you will need to base yourselves somewhere such as les deux alpes/alpes d'huez/tignes or possibly somewhere with easy access to Val Thorens such as around Orelle in the Maurienne valley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@oink, you could try parking the caravan in Bourg st Maurice and using the funicular to get up to Les Arcs. I think the campsite run a shuttle bus otherwise and there is a navette around the town. Les Arcs will have some good skiing in April.

There are, of course, the usual suspects: Tignes, Val Thorens, La Plagne (I have a vague recall of a caravan park in Champagny or Bozel). A bit different would be Vensoc, or Argentiere

The obligation to use winter tyres does not apply after April 1st (it may be earlier)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's such a lot of confusion about this. There is no obligation to use winter tyres at any time, provided you have chains. One of the times I had to put chains on top of my winter tyres was after a heavy-but-wet snow flurry in mid-April, at 1500m. A short straight stretch of uphill completely defeated my four good winter tyres (and I was very used to driving in snow, and up that road) and I had to put chains on. 5 kms into the village for a bit of shopping, and on the way home the bright sun had already burnt off the snow, leaving a damp and heavily steaming road.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, I'll look at those suggestions. Nothing certain yet and not even sure I am prepared to fork out the ever increasing ferry costs from Ireland having just got back from two weeks in Finland. However, the kids really loved skiing and I quite enjoyed the boarding again so figure if we can get an alps trip in on a reasonable budget we should go for it while the memories are fresh.

Most we have driven in France is about four hours but the kids were a good bit younger then and more prone to moaning after an hour or two. I figure now might be a good time to get them used to proper long drives, with the promise of some more skiing.

The winter tyre query is to make sure i am not falling foul of local regs. I am happy to get a set of winter tyres on spare wheels and change them over, even for driving around the hills of wicklow at home. However, if they are overkill for a trip in April i will save the expense until next year when i will be aiming for two trips to the alps in my car.

In the mean time i will stick with my new summer tyres and get a set of chains for the off chance i might need them.

Thanks all for the suggestions, and any more are very welcome.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Per above the law is either winter tyres or chains, though both might be recommended at the worst times and I would suggest if going to an area with skiing chains are almost certainly a good idea

(AFAIK even if not a general requirement to carry them, per periods given above, the local traffic authority can close roads to traffic without chains (fitted not just carried) if they think the conditions warrant it...)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

However, if they are overkill for a trip in April i will save the expense until next year when i will be aiming for two trips to the alps in my car.

They are not overkill. They are not appropriate
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are towing a caravan I'd imagine you are not going too far up the mountain roads.

And given it's mid to late April you will not be needing winters or chains in the valley - either legally or practical. If a major storm is coming you will want to be off the road anyway but it will soon pass/clear at that time of year.

As you have figured finding a valley caravan place that gives you good access to high altitude skiing is the critical part.

As for kids and long drives. We do it overnight so that they sleep mostly but you need to two drivers (ideally) who are happy to do that. Otherwise you need some snacks, books, electronics.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have friends who go to Les Arcs every April, and rave about how great it is. In fact they don't ski Xmas or the mid-winter break. One of these days I might have to see what all the fuss is about. I would try Les Arcs.

I do like the idea of staying low at BSM and taking the funicular (or a shuttle bus) up. You should be fine without need for chains/tires. But can't hurt to pick up chains, I guess.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Venosc or BSM is a good call. I remember camping at a site in Brides Les Bain as well when I was bikepacking many years ago. I'd guess there are campsites in the Maurienne Valley that would give you access to Val Thorens via Orelle if you want the highest and best snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oink wrote:
Thanks all, I'll look at those suggestions. Nothing certain yet and not even sure I am prepared to fork out the ever increasing ferry costs from Ireland having just got back from two weeks in Finland. However, the kids really loved skiing and I quite enjoyed the boarding again so figure if we can get an alps trip in on a reasonable budget we should go for it while the memories are fresh.

Most we have driven in France is about four hours but the kids were a good bit younger then and more prone to moaning after an hour or two. I figure now might be a good time to get them used to proper long drives, with the promise of some more skiing.

The winter tyre query is to make sure i am not falling foul of local regs. I am happy to get a set of winter tyres on spare wheels and change them over, even for driving around the hills of wicklow at home. However, if they are overkill for a trip in April i will save the expense until next year when i will be aiming for two trips to the alps in my car.

In the mean time i will stick with my new summer tyres and get a set of chains for the off chance i might need them.

Thanks all for the suggestions, and any more are very welcome.

you were skiing in finland? was it good?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you were skiing in finland? was it good?

Hi Kj82 - i've a whole thread on it in the Resort reviews forum (beginners advice for Levi or something like that) - summary - brilliant winter family holiday with some skiing. Will definitely return.

I'll get some chains sorted out in the coming weeks and stick with the current tyres for this. Over the summer I'll sources some spare wheels and deck them out in some winter rubber in anticipation of next year.

I'll look at campsites with easy access to Les Arcs. BSM and the other locations mentioned.

Quote:

As for kids and long drives. We do it overnight so that they sleep mostly but you need to two drivers (ideally) who are happy to do that. Otherwise you need some snacks, books, electronics.

The ferries all seem to arrive late morning or early afternoon so most likely all day drive with late night arrival. Wife doesn't drive with the caravan so it's down to me. Overnight would be ok if someone kept sticking a pin in me.
Quote:

If you are towing a caravan I'd imagine you are not going too far up the mountain roads.

This is my thinking, hopefully find somewhere in a valley with reasonable mountain access.

Thanks all
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Venosc is a pretty spot (much prettier than Bourg St Maurice), and Les Deux Alpes has high skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiing in April - take factor loads suncream & total sunblock lip salve.
snow conditions
Quote:

I do like the idea of staying low at BSM and taking the funicular (or a shuttle bus) up

It can feel a bit weird sharing the funicular with mountain bikers and hikers in shorts and T shirts, but it's fast and nice. Try and get to the very front or back for stunning mountain views. It's a short walk from the top to the lifts of Arc 1600, but with beginners you would probably want to take the navette around to 1950 initially.

Yes, factor 50 or total sun block is essential
snow report
Pasigal wrote:
We have friends who go to Les Arcs every April, and rave about how great it is. In fact they don't ski Xmas or the mid-winter break. One of these days I might have to see what all the fuss is about. I would try Les Arcs.

It could be that like the long days and a bit of sunshine on their back. I love April but I also really like skiing at Christmas - but for very different reasons.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I like the look of Venosc (from google maps anyway).

About how long would it take to get from venosc to Les 2 Alpes ski school using the cable car thingy? Do yo just rock up to the station with your kit under your arm and jump on?

Cheers
ski holidays
@oink, takes 8 minutes according to this:

https://www.les2alpes.com/winter/offers/telecabine-de-venosc-venosc-en-winter-3005535/

You need to then just factor in the walk to it and where the ski school meet up is in relation to the top station.

Here is a thread for LDA where some regulars to the area may know more:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153601&start=160
snow report
Thanks Layne,

That is great.
snow report
BSM is lovely. You can park in the huge free car park near the funicular. Was going to recommend camping at Huttopia but just double checked and they close at the start of April and don't re-open until May - bummer.
latest report
Quote:

BSM is lovely. You can park in the huge free car park near the funicular.

Where is this car park. You have to pay for the one next to the funicular
snow report
Sorry - my bad - it's free from May to mid-December!
ski holidays
Since it will be late season, I would be looking at resorts where it is easy to access high terrain quite easily. I don't know what the Maurienne Valley is like for caravanning but there is a new lift this year from Orelle right up to Val Thorens which might be a good way for you to go from quite low to quite high without a lot of fuss. Perhaps there is somewhere near there that is good for caravanning?
ski holidays
You cannot better Tignes and Val D’Isere at that time of year.
latest report
JayDub wrote:
You cannot better Tignes and Val D’Isere at that time of year.

The OP needs somewhere for the caravan, though...
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, good point, well presented. I thought perhaps you could park up in Tignes les Boisses or Les Brevierres - excuse my spelling.
snow conditions
Quote:
The OP needs somewhere for the caravan, though...
Camp in Bourg St Maurice and it's a 20 minute drive up to the gondola at Tignes Les Brevieres.

Or stick the caravan in the big free car park at Tignes Les Brevieres Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still in the planning stages (and negotiating a higher holiday budget with the far more practical other half!) seeing as the trip to Finland came with a fairly heft price tag attached when the final accounting was done.

The suggestions have all been great, and I have researched them all. There are decent campsites near most of the 'get up the mountain' points so looks like the best plan will be to decide on a location nearer the time based on snow etc.

Thanks all. I do love to plan holidays!
snow conditions
Would Seez caravan place be open?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy