Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WALTER MANN R.I.P

Poster: A snowHead
Walter Mann R.I.P.
1918 - 2006

It was with sadness that I learnt last night of the death of Walter Mann, who will be know to snowHeads, Ski Club members and Ski Club Reps alike.

Walter was a long time member of the Ski Club of Great Britain and The Eagle Ski Club and was an inspirational skier. All the more so, as he was 88 years old this year.

We last skied with Walter in January this year at Paradiski, in the company of Ski Club Rep Genevieve Lawson, snowHeads and other friends. Walter skied black runs, red runs, moguls, white-outs, on-piste, off-piste, all day, every day without batting an eye and enjoyed a glass of wine or too in the evening! His perfect technique was his trump card and he skied on long planks with touring boots! At Les Arcs, he stayed in the Hotel Golf and booked his own travel and accommodation on-line.

He was so inspirational because, ‘he walked the walk’. I think anyone that met and skied with him, revised their skiing retirement date! Pensions will just have to last longer now that Walter has broken this mould! All the more remarkable, Walter ruptured his Achilles tendon last summer. He told his consultant that he was going skiing in January – no discussion – please sort it. He was in hard plaster, soft plaster, exercises & physio for months, but he made it and by golly did he ski.

Walter died suddenly on Easter Sunday, having returned from skiing Obergurgl the previous week. My friend Bryan said to me last night, “Poor Walter, but if I last as well, I won’t complain.” Indeed, notwithstanding the loss to his family, it was a decent way for a skier to go.

One of my fondest memories of Walter is in fact the last evening I saw him. Walter was leaving Les Arcs and taking the train from Bourg St. Maurice to Waterloo. Bryan Stuart, Snowcrazy & I invited him to dinner in Bourg. What an absolutely great evening. We were so engrossed over dinner that we almost missed the train. We rushed into the station with Walter’s luggage to find the London train – like a Royal entourage. I approached the SNCF official to enquire if I might take Walters luggage to the train. She replied that this was not possible as it was a customs point, but immediately summoned a porter who loaded Walter’s luggage onto a barrow. Walter lunged at his disappearing bag to get his camera and proceeded to take a photo of Chris, Bryan & myself. The SNCF lady then asked him for the camera and said she would take one of the entire group, which she did. Walter was so pleased and he thanked her saying that he had an absolutely brilliant weeks skiing. When I remarked, that I hoped I would be skiing at 88, she immediately upgraded Walter to first class and made sure that he was seated on the train, before releasing the now hissing queue! Walter was euphoric! He was treated like le President! Snowcrazy slightly scolded an impatient person in the queue with, “Age has its privileges”. Walter later sent me the picture entitled, “The four of us”. (I will upload it here if anyone wants to see it, but you will have to tell me how).

He will be missed by his many friends. Our condolences go to his family who will miss him most.

Goodbye Walter Mann, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Picture here

Edited to insert link to photo (Credit for this to Frosty...)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-05-06 13:48; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BernardC, what a wonderful tribute. It must have been a pleasure to be acquainted with Walter Mann, who can clearly serve as an inspiration to all of us.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that story Bernard. If I'm still skiing at 87 or 88 I'll be the happiest person on the planet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, Totally agree with you. Great post BernardC,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC, I shall ask you to write my obituary. A lovely tribute and I would love to see the photo.

Make a note of where the picture is on your PC, go to snowMedia log on, and then click the upload photo button and follow the instructions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, thank you for the tribute to Walter. I had the privilege of skiing with him in a SCGB group at Obergurgl one Easter a few years ago when Laurie Palmer was the rep. I think he was 84 at the time and I felt both humbled that someone could ski so well at that age and with his touring skis and also encouraged that I might continue skiing rather longer than I had imagined. An example to us all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But you have to be registered on snow Media or there won't be any upload photo button (that tripped me when I first tried).
A lovely tribute. Like rob@rar.org.uk I've been wondering how long I'll be able to ski.... 70 ? I'd be indignant with fate if I couldn't.... but 88 - a consumation devoutly to be wished!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great post, very well written.

My Godfather was retired from skiing the winter before last aged 85. He has been going to meribel for years and years and is well known there (a larger than life character in many ways).
He has lost a lot of his physical strength and was struggling to keep his balance while getting on a chairlift. The liftie stopped the lift, helped him to take off his skis and said to him "Arthur, it is time to retire from sking". The liftie was right and said it in a very nice way.

I'll be happy if I last as long as my Godfather...I'll be flippin' ecstatic if I last as long as Walter Mann.
Thanks for the inspirational story Bernard.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks BernardC, I feel sad that I never met him but your eloquence makes me feel that I did. Nice to know that I may have another 50 years yet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Frosty the Snowman, Photo now in Media Zone Personal Gallery - I had forgotten that I had done that before!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
picture here.
BernardC, Which one is Walter?. Is he the old bloke 2nd from the left wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I must admit that I don't recall hearing of Walter, but if I'm still skiing at 88 I'll know I've done well. It's always good to be in the company of those who do "walk the talk" - there's something simple and honest about it.

While in Canada there was a local who was in his late seventies skiing in a battered cowboy hat. Whenever I saw him I felt a slight twinge of jealousy, and a burning desire to catch up with him to say "Hello" and perhaps have a coffee. He was a bit quick for me, though.

Well written BernardC. If you've got time after writing Frosty's obit. perhaps you could do mine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC, a really lovely piece. I've never come across Walter before, but now I'm sad I never will. Clearly skiing is a great way of staying active into your later years. On one transfer to Chamonix a couple of years ago one of the other transferees regaled us with the fact that his first task was to try and find his Dad, suspected to be somewhere in the region of Argentiere. Dad, aged 83, had already been in town for 3 weeks skiing every day with a bunch of retired ski instructors/patrollers who had formed their own club, "The Old Planks". Transferee was just a little nervous as to whether he'd manage to keep up with them. That's the way I'd like to grow old.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, A lovely obit, it is both sad and inspirational. Well written.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An 84 yr old patient of mine went to an Austrian resort last Christmas with his son, but said that he wouldn't be skiing as he was too old. Needless to say, once he got there the lure of the snow was too great. Smile
latest report
Nick L wrote:
Thanks BernardC, I feel sad that I never met him but your eloquence makes me feel that I did. Nice to know that I may have another 50 years yet.

I'm certainly glad Bernard has let us know about Walter. I doubt that I have another 50 years skiing left ............ Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I stayed in a hotel with a chap who was in his eighties, who said that he enjoyed the skiing, especially the free lift pass, but he felt that the walking with his skis was getting a bit much for him.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, No the guy 2nd left is 'Le Bomb'....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have to say, getting back to ski fitness after a ruptured Achilles tendon aged 87ish is quite something.
latest report
Kramer, it was difficult enough at 37ish! Walter Mann must have had bags of determination.
ski holidays
BernardC,

Lovely post, Walter sound like he was mighty craic.
snow conditions
Thanks for a lovely story Bernard - Snowcrazy had mentioned Walter to me

I once climbed Carrauntoohil with a guy named Bert Bissell who was 88 as part of a Co operation North initiative. Bert was climbing the highest mountains of Ireland,England, Wales and Scotland at the time

A real inspiration to me and I have never forgotten the priviliege of having walked with him - Hope you cherish your memories
snow report
My ski instructor still tunes skis for one of our old skiers... Frank is in his 80's (I forget exactly the number) and is still RACING in masters races..... He may not be strong and his technique may be a little "old style" but he is still smooth and controlled the whole way down that race course and puts many 60 year olds to shame with his times!

he did complain though that they made him race in 70+ category.... he says 80+ is very different to 70+ and they should have their own age group.... i think he won!

he sold his business on mountain a couple of years ago.... his first season "retired" the snow was shocking and everyone complained all season..... but Frank skied all teh time.... I kept seeing him just cruising around off-piste when the general public was at home moaning it was unskiable ON-piste....

I want to ski like Frank at Frank's age.... that is my skiing goal.... to have his panache and finesse in my 80's....
I'm off to a bad start - I'm told Frank was a winter olympian when he was much younger than me!
ski holidays
BernardC, what a heart-warm and inspirational story. Thanks for your posting.
latest report
I can only echo the sentiments already posted by others above. Thank you BernardC, for a letting me know a little about the happy life of a lucky man.
ski holidays
BernardC, a lovely tribute and you must be very proud to have that photo and the memories. Rest In Peace sounds much nicer in Gaelic.
latest report
I have just celebrated my sixtieth birthday and I have often figured that I should be able to keep skiing at a reasonable level until I am seventy.

After reading this thread I think I shall have to set myself a new target. Cool
latest report
richjp, You sure will!!! .... Plan to make the money last at least another 17 years... Smile snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, Now that is a different sort of challenge!
ski holidays
more info on Frank

Episode 5: Sasha Nekvapil and Frank Prihoda
In 1948, while Sasha was skiing with the Czech national team in Switzerland, she received a coded phone call from her brother Frank. With Sasha's husband Karel, Frank escaped over the Czech border into Austria. Sasha did not leave Switzerland with the rest of the ski team. Reunited in Austria, the three decided to migrate to Australia.

not an easy life I imagine and he still is skiing....

I believe sasha stopped after being hit by an out of control person and injured Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy