Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Major Fire in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There has been another major fire in Chamonix. The blaze started at 21h30 in a building located in the town center. 20 apartements were gutted and 6 people taken to Chamonix hospital following smoke inhalation... In early February buildings on the Rue de Moulins, part of the "English Quarter" were destroyed by fire.

Rue de Moulins Fire
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plus many woken up by the siren at 7.30am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, How shocking Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Chamonix unusually combustable?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Hopkinson, wouldn't happen so easily to a concrete resort!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, a pity really, Les Menuires so clearly needs a really big fire wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ANOTHER FIRE Shocked

Thats the 4th big one in 6 years if you include the Tunnel !!

Don't suppose there is any co incidence in the fact that it was the 'English Quarter' and that there is simmering discontent with the rapid Anglicisation and general purchase of the place by the English ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S, I was hearing the other month (from a couple of Chamonix residents) that the local fire dept are so incompetent they have never saved a single building from burning down - although they are not too bad at stopping the fire spreading to nearby buildings. (Edit: offensive and probably incorrect statement deleted)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 24-05-06 13:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, Please do not bad mouth fire fighters in my town, they do a fine job under often appaling circumstances, are frequently extraordinarily brave and never complain even about terrible wages. Right thats all said then Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
ANOTHER FIRE Shocked

Thats the 4th big one in 6 years if you include the Tunnel !!

When I lived in Cham. in 99/00 there was one of the hotel particulier in the town center that had been gutted, are you counting that one?

I suspect Chamonix has some old buildings with overloaded wiring which are more prone to fires and the spread of fire.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OMG. Shocking I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Amazing how much property values increase after a good re-furbishment paid for by the insurance company Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, not getting at you mate honest, but it's also worth considering that many of these buildings were constructed of wood in the days before fire was invented and have spent the intervening 200years being marinated in creasote.

I know of one large chalet that went from smell of smoke to stone foundations (I mean, literally nothing remaining above the stone) in less than 15 minutes. Nothing the fire dept could have done even if they'd got there any sooner. Luckily no one was inside.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With buildings like that I certainly wouldnt want to invest in property in Chamonix, the whole town could vanish in 15 mins. Laughing Laughing wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy