Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Meribel centre versus Val Thorens at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
@Lucywuk, La Tania home run usually
stays open for Easter week. Height isn’t everything to do with snow retention!

That’s interesting. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JONR wrote:
As others have said. VT will have snow and it will be fairly cold, cold enough to freeze at night

Meribel will be wet, slush or mud

Both villages will be open for business in restaurants etc (covid permitting)

Cold enough to freeze at night then softening up by day - versus staying slushy 24/7 wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lucywuk wrote:
kitenski wrote:
@Lucywuk, La Tania home run usually
stays open for Easter week. Height isn’t everything to do with snow retention!

That’s interesting. Thanks

And Meribel home runs usually stay open then as well, as do the runs to St. Martin. In the last 14 years of skiing the 3Vs I can't remember the links closing early or home runs to the lower villages closing early...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
itsbeenawhile wrote:
@snowrider, thanks, we would aim to go 2-9 April, so sounds like I don't need to worry about everything closing down. The mud is more of a concern with Meribel sadly, plus the time to get to get back to the resort at the end of the day, so I am definitely thinking Val Thorens now.

Didn't realise that you were going that early - Easter is the 17th.
Should be fine first week April in Meribel (maybe a bit slushy afternoons down near resort) but you could also have a bucketful of late snow
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@itsbeenawhile, my view, with 80+ weeks skiing in the 3Vs including many end of season trips, would be VT. The reality is that Courchevel nearly always has the best snow (particularly in the mornings or when conditions are generally poor) but it will be tougher skiing in the afternoons for intermediates than VT. VT is miserable early season but great fun late season.

You won't enjoy skiing through Mottaret on the way home to C1850 from VT but the other way round is much less arduous in spring and you can always download from the Pas du Lac mid station to cut out the worst bit if you're tired. Meribel's not as bad as many people portray it to be if you stay on the west side but that side's long-winded for an intermediate to get to from VT. The top half of La Masse also usually has good snow but you can't do circuits just around the top anymore so if you go there, make sure it's in the morning because the bottom half will be hard work after midday, as will be much of Les Menuires. I would go exploring in the mornings and ski VT in the afternoons.

You won't have any issues with bars or links closing in early April. Some bars and restaurants do close one week before the end of the season in the lower areas of the 3Vs but that's all. That won't affect VT which is open until May 8th. Food and drink is generally cheapest in the Belleville valley but nowhere in the 3Vs is cheap per se!

The links are always kept open until the the last day - I've never known them close for anything other than high winds or avalanche risk for at least the last 15 years since substantial snow cannons were put on all of them. The last two weeks of the season, they may close some links where there are multiple routes between valleys but there is always at least one option kept open till the very last day. You can check which ones are open on the 3V App.

You'll have a great time, enjoy! Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First off, 2-9 April is lateish but not very late season. Conditions do tend to deteriorate fairly quickly as the month goes along but staying at lower resorts isn't necessarily an issue as long as access is good and the home slopes are sheltered.

I believe La Tania closes on 15th April but Montchavin Les Coches is open until 23rd.

I've stayed in Les Menuires late season and it was fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Yellow Snow, I was also confused when the subject title said "Easter"
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
I believe La Tania closes on 15th April.
Have you seen that in writing anywhere? I thought all closing dates other than VT/Orelle were supposed to be aligned this year, so all stations other than VT are closed on the 23rd.

Layne wrote:
Montchavin Les Coches is open until 23rd
Not sure how this is relevant to a 3V thread when it's in the Paradiski!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:

Layne wrote:
Not sure how this is relevant to a 3V thread when it's in the Paradiski!

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
according to https://m.latania.co.uk/whatson3V/

22 April – La Tania, Courchevel, Méribel & Mottaret lifts close
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The reality is that Courchevel nearly always has the best snow (particularly in the mornings or when conditions are generally poor)

Yeah. I'd say that's the case. Being largely north facing, it doesn't cook in the same way that Meribel does. It's also a lot quieter by that time of year than VT, which can be a zoo.

I usually spend much of April in Meribel, not because I particularly like it but because the ski schools are better for my family. As others have said, by the last week stuff is usually winding down. I've also never experienced unskiable pistes due to slush but I may just have a higher tolerance for such things.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I last spent a whole week in 3v it was in Courchevel 1650 (though in January, not April) and 1650 had the best snow in the 3 valleys. We were in ski school in the mornings, so didn't venture that far afield, but the other people in the chalet, all keen skiers, went everywhere, and were clear that 1650 had the best snow. We spent a long weekend in 1650 one Easter and had such heavy snowfall that I fell off one drag lift, because there was so much snow I couldn't see the track and was struggling. There are few rules about Easter skiing - except that I'd always pick it over New Year or half term!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raceplate wrote:
Layne wrote:
I believe La Tania closes on 15th April.
Have you seen that in writing anywhere? I thought all closing dates other than VT/Orelle were supposed to be aligned this year, so all stations other than VT are closed on the 23rd.

Apologies, I was looking at this page and read "Main Season 18 December 2021 until 15 April 2022" not taking note of "Low Season 04-10 Dec, 11-17 Dec & 16-22 Apr"

Layne wrote:
Not sure how this is relevant to a 3V thread when it's in the Paradiski![/quote]
It's relevant to the discussion about skiing late season in the region or at least that was the point I was discussing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just catching up on replies... Thanks all this has been very helpful. Very excited to explore the 3V for the first time. Apologies for any confusion regarding Easter. I meant the Easter school holidays which include the first week of April this year. On the verge of booking an apartment with pool access in Val Thorens, but stumbled on some private apartments in 1650. No pool, but we could maybe take the kids to Aquamotion in 1850 one day. Curious if anyone has an opinion on this. We'd save a lot (£1k) which would go a long way towards eating out etc, especially if prices are more expensive in Courcheval. But would this resort have less atmosphere, have less/inferior food options, be significantly worse for snow as a lot lower, not as good a location for exploring 3V etc.
@pam w, interesting you have mentioned 1650 at Easter. I am wondering whether this is normal for that time of the year. Lots of comments about the slopes retaining the snow well in Courcheval from others too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry this should read Courcheval 1650 for the alternative accommodation.
snow conditions
The heavy snow fall we had at Easter in 1650 can happen anywhere - as people who have decided there is no chance of needing chains in April might discover! But equally, it could be hot and sunny and slushy. I can't remember the dates of our trip - might well have been March. It was a last minute decision and I remember flights were pretty expensive, but accommodation cheap. We rented a car from Gva, and ended up stopping for coffee and a mooch about in Flumet on the drive back. One thing led to another, we picked up a few piste maps of the Arly Valley and some brochures and ended up, years later, buying an apartment in Les Saisies. So it was quite an expensive trip, in the end.

1650 is a good bet and certainly better than Merihell. It's not 1850 though - if you want plush and lush and lots of activities and opportunities to be seen in public in your gear, 1850 would be better.
ski holidays
itsbeenawhile wrote:
But would this resort have less atmosphere, have less/inferior food options, be significantly worse for snow as a lot lower, not as good a location for exploring 3V etc.
All of the above. As an intermediate, you'll seriously struggle to get any further than Meribel and even that might be a push depending on just how much of an intermediate you are. It's 5 lifts to VT from C1650 (but 6 lifts the way most people would go) and at least two hours at a casual pace, probably three hours with kids. By the time you get there, you'd only have time for a couple of runs before having to plan coming back. Coming back to C1650 is much tougher too. You'll have to go through the Mottaret slush motorway and then there's only one lift back to C1650 from the top of C1850 (though you could take the bus) and it's a fair distance down a run that is always cut up from early afternoon onwards. You'll likely find it a real slog. You'd have to leave VT no later than 2.30pm to be sure of getting home.

itsbeenawhile wrote:
Lots of comments about the slopes retaining the snow well in Courcheval from others too.
Yes, but really I'm referring to the Saulire area of C1850 which is north facing and sheltered and the slopes above La Tania. C1650 is in direct sunshine all day, it'll be good in the morning, hard work after midday and the home runs will be heavy slush in the afternoon. They're also pretty flat so if you can't carry your speed you really will find it hard work.

I think the choice really depends on how keen a skier you are. I wouldn't mind betting that if you stay in C1650, you'll have had enough by 3pm most days. In spring the lifts run until 5pm and if you stay in VT, the period from 3-5pm is great because all the day-trippers from other valleys are on their way home, the party set are in the Folie Douce and the slopes are suddenly very quiet. You can walk straight onto any lift and really make the most of your lift pass. Also means you don't feel guilty if you have a long lunch because you know you can still ski until the very end of the day. Much of VT is also in sunshine but the altitude mitigates the effects to a reasonable extent so although some runs will be slushy, it's nowhere near as bad as the lower areas and is still skiable for most people until 5pm.
latest report
Back to Val Thorens! I am a relatively new skier so I think my ambitions regarding exploring 3V are perhaps a bit advanced. We'd also have 2 kids skiing with us and although they are better than me, they might get tired if we try to cover large distances every day. If we stay in Val Thorens it sounds like we would have the best of everything. We can take breaks, ski late if we want to and still plan day trips to check out some of the other areas. Perfect.
ski holidays
@itsbeenawhile, exactly! VT is by far the better choice in your situation. Maybe you missed it earlier but basically do the reverse of what 70% of 3V punters will be doing - base yourself in VT, ski the neighbouring areas in the morning and come back to VT for or after lunch. VT is always busiest around late morning so just go somewhere else in that time period. It's like being the only person going north on a British motorway on a bank holiday weekend instead of south like all the other lemmings.

The big things that people like to tick off in the 3V are the Cime Caron, Orelle, La Masse and Mont Vallon (highest points) and iconic pistes like Jerusalem. All of those are possible fairly comfortably from VT and they're all usually better skied in the morning before they cut up. I wouldn't worry if you don't make it to Courchevel, there's plenty of good skiing near where you'll be.
snow report
@Raceplate, thank you so much for this advice. We will make sure we check out the places listed and do things in reverse as suggested. I can't wait to be back on the slopes again Very Happy. Now just need to navigate through travel insurance, understand covid sanitary pass rules etc. and then hope none of us catch it just before we go or while we are there, aargh!
ski holidays
I think we have all been agreed from the outset that in terms purely of quality of skiing/snow, VT is the answer. For me, that would be far more important than a swimming pool or "resort ambiance".
ski holidays
@pam w, I agree with you re: skiing/snow. We've had a pool before though and the kids love it, and it has been nice to have a sauna (I tend to avoid the pool as they are never warm enough for me!). But we are going for the skiing primarily. Resort ambiance was more about having cosy restaurants, bars close by, and in ideal world a pretty village to walk around. I think this is where Courcheval 1850 might be better, but we are not in the ££ league so the compromise would have been a cheaper apartment, no pool. We are totally sold on Val Thorens now though and excited to get it booked.
latest report
Out of interest, which village in the 3V has the best ambiance?
snow report
Have done 2 weeks at Easter in Val Thorens, and it is the best place to base yourselves. You have the benefit of being able to spend a couple of days skiing over to Courchebel via Saulire… last time we had lunch in 1850 at Easter they were starting to dismantle piste netting on the less used runs and it seemed like the resort was shutting down. Val Thorens as has been said has the better spring snow and a lot of variety if you don’t fancy skiing the 3 valleys. We always found the runs form VT to Meribel slushy and could be tiring for early Intermediates, wouldn’t base myself there. If you go to VT make the effort to do Folyeres, to la Tania in the morning if the snow is good, lunch in pub le ski lodge is gr8 and good value. You will have a great time in VT. Definitely wouldn’t base yourselves in 1650 would take to much time to get to the good snow, and there isn’t enough around 1650 to keep your group interested….
snow report
Jagerbull wrote:
Out of interest, which village in the 3V has the best ambiance?
I'm biased but I think most people would say Meribel (not Mottaret) is the prettiest by far (because they have very strict aesthetic building regulations) but St Martin de Belleville and La Tania are pretty too, just on a smaller scale.

C1850 is only good for designer window shopping, as a resort it has no ambiance at all because the nice areas are the ones with oligarch level chalets and 5* hotels where normal punters don't stay. The actual centre still has plenty of concrete 1970's apartment blocks and there's no apres scene whatsoever. C1650 is much better for apres because it has a strong seasonnaire vibe.

VT has a bit of everything - also a strong seasonnaire vibe and it's improved its looks tremendously over the last 10 years and is trying hard to replace all the purpose built concrete places with nice wood and stone clad buildings.
snow report
Have stayed in Meribel, la Tania, Val Thorens, Courchevel 1850 & 1650 at Easter time and for preference would choose 1650 over Val Thorens All have been wonderful some seasons. We were unlucky 2 years running in Val Thorens and had a week of white out, all day every day. Being high up above the tree line has disadvantages. On a good day it's great because it is so high that the snow stays in good condition. We got below the cloud in Les Menuires, along with many others.
La Tania is my personal favourite. All areas of the 3 V can be accessed by a leisurely intermediate skier within an ordinary day's skiing, and all on blue runs too!
latest report
Just checked my ski data. We have skied 3V 18 times at Easter, mostly staying in the Meribel valley, only 3 times in Val T. If you are thinking of the first week of April there should be no problem with Meribel and the advantage is it is the central valley so much easier to get over the whole area. It can get a bit slushy at the bottom of all the runs but that is true of everywhere. We will be in Meribel as a family group of 14 the second week of April.
snow report
Quote:

La Tania is my personal favourite

@jayjayjam, should the La Tania home runs be nasty, one could presumably download in the gondola?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, I think you could, have never had to. If the blue run Folyeres, is icy, bare then the green run Plan Fontaine is kept going with snow cannons. It's a very long green run, pretty flat in places, one bluish section and a little jump over a stream towards the end if the snow really is going. It allows you to ski back to much of the accommodation in La Tania too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy