Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA: beginner vs half-instruction

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowheads!

I am looking for a piece of advice in respect to choosing between two packages of the UCPA: beginner full time vs half-time instruction in Flaine w/c 14 Mar 2022.

I am not a complete beginner, I've done some skiing in the past, i'd say, maybe 6-7 days in total done in two trips, but those were unknown resorts in Slovakia and the altitude was up to 1k meters, so can't even be compared any of the Alps resorts I guess. I've never done UCPA in the past and wanted to ask those who did beginner full time and those who tried half-time:

(a) What is the quality of teaching at the beginner level? Wouldn't I feel as a waste of time?
(b) If you did both - how does the half-time compare to full time beginner?

Thanks in advance for your time and happy riding! M
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can ski a bit, I’d go for the intermediate level groups. They have a ‘harmonisation’ session before the lessons start and will put you in an appropriate group accordingly. Usually.

Half time or full time is up to you. My take was the more I learn and practice, the quicker I improve but I appreciate it’s a holiday for some people too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends how good you are at skiing on your own, or hooking up with others. I would tend to go for full-time, personally, as the lessons are good value. As for level, did you have lessons on your other trips? I wouldn't worry about it being Slovakia. Snow is snow..... If you're pretty confident, and fit, I'd go intermediate but not get depressed if demoted. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done many UCPA trips now, mainly full time instruction on/off piste starting from Matrisse level on the early trips, though I've done one half time week and this year due to the group dynamic (some of us on a 4 day trip) I'm going half time.

Based purely on value - full time is worth it as for a small additional extra cost you get exponentially more lesson time. The full time groups also in my experience develop a stronger bond more generally.

If you go full time you'll have lessons all day Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri and Wed's PM .

If you go full time beginner I think it also includes an additional lesson for part of the Sunday as the assumption here is you are new to snowsports.

If you go half time, you'll be assigned either a morning or an afternoon group.

Sunday and half of Wednesday have no lessons so you will be able to ski with friends etc then...

The 'harmonisation' of the group often just depends on the range of abilities that week, generally moving up or down a group is never an issue if you'd prefer to do that and when I have seen the instructor suggest someone moves up or down it's always been done collaboratively.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Depends how good you are at skiing on your own, or hooking up with others. I would tend to go for full-time, personally, as the lessons are good value. As for level, did you have lessons on your other trips? I wouldn't worry about it being Slovakia. Snow is snow..... If you're pretty confident, and fit, I'd go intermediate but not get depressed if demoted. wink

thanks for your response. And no - I have never taken any ski lessons, just went with pro-friends who's said will teach me and then got only patience for just couple of hours, so i tried to go with the flow so to say.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Full time beginners might be best, then. Presumably you could get promoted if you turn out to be brilliant!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for your answers, I think I've made my decision - i will go full-time beginner for now and see how it works out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy