Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best French resorts people (unless they are Snowheads) have never heard of

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The village picture is of Hauteluce village. I hadn't focussed on the chairlift, but given how well you know Les Contamines, I'm sure you're right, @jedster. The chairs going down into Hauteluce from Les Saisies aren't as smart as that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jedster wrote:
I note that their first pic is actually Les Contamines (looking across the Montjoie valley from the Aiguille Croche). Technically they are slopes close to Hauteluce but ....

Presumably the top of the Nant Rouge lift - which I took several times a few days ago. I wouldn't have recognised it though (not used to seeing it from that angle) but certainly the skyline beyond could be the top of the Montjoie valley. I suppose it is not far from the ridge at the top of the Hauteluce valley, but quite a distance from the villege of Hauteluce.

We really must make a visit to Espace Diamant, there are several runs and lifts we saw from Evasion Mont Blanc and would be fascinated to explore them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
YellowAndBlue wrote:
@davidof, I've been reading about Mont Dore recently. Never realised it was there until a few weeks ago. Sounds like you think it's genuinely worth a look. Also been looking at the nearby resort of Le Lioran. Have you been there too? If so, what are your thoughts?

Between Mont Dore, Super Besse and Le Lioran there's seems to be enough for at least a few days of decent skiing. The main thing that stands out to me is that it is a good 2 hours closer to the channel if driving, so could good for a self-drive short break. I like the look of the scenery and the old volcanoes too.

I skied at Le Loiran a few days ago and found it to be a great wee ski village that reminded me a little of a half-sized Serre Chevalier. Seemed relatively good value by French standards too, with a cafe au lait and a chocolat chaud on the snowfront costing about €4.

Pix from Tuesday ...

At Le Lioran, the trusty old steed, and my trusty old Scott Powdairs that need edging and waxing after several seasons of nothing but Scottish heather and rock bashing ...

View down a Lioran piste ...

View up a Lioran piste ...

View from a Lioran chairlift ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@moffatross, nice photos. Looks interesting. Lots of roadside snow at resort level even though it doesn't appear to have snowed there for a while - tells a story. There appears to be just enough decent lifts at Le Lioran and Super Besse too. And it's got to be 2 or 3 hours closer to the UK if driving, I would've thought - enough to make a difference if only going for a few days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@moffatross, really interesting, thanks! I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of roadside snow too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@YellowAndBlue, @denfinella, good as it was last week, I suspect Le Lioran, both on and off piste, would be at its very best towards the end of a snowier than average season. I got the impression that the snow and conditions may be quite similar to Scotland in some ways i.e. there was evidence of wind scoured summits and I suspect there'd be regular snow-rain-snow, freeze-thaw-freeze transitions through all elevations as the ski area doesn't benefit from lofty Alpine heights to preserve dry snow nearer summits when raining elsewhere.

FWIW, we'd been staying with some good friends who live exactly 1/2 hour away, and I skied at Le Lioran as part of a break in the mountains of the Cantal, with other activities over the few days including cycling (loads of cyclists enjoying quiet roads and warm sunshine), walking, general touristy stuff, and eating and drinking.

Shout out for their beautiful Chambre D'Hotes ...

https://www.la-maison-normande.fr/commentaires/avis/reviews/mailleurs

And some more photos from the area ...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97446&start=2560#4920090
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@moffatross, looks really interesting. I'd definitely be interested when there's been fresh snow and when nice and quiet in January, especially so during the week I imagine. Your friends' place looks nice too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy