Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice near Zurich

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,
I’m after your Swiss resort advice please.

My group is me and my other half - both good skiers, like to go off piste but equally happy on piste.

Friends we’re going with are good intermediate, stick to the piste and are happy on blues and reds or easier blacks. They like to be able to tick off the runs on a piste map.

We’re flying into Zurich and have hired a car. Arrive Weds, leave Sunday evening.

We’d prefer accommodation near the lifts Smile

Recommendations and ideas please as none of us know Switzerland…

Ta muchly Smile
Ms T.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't speak from personal experience, but the three larger resorts close to Zurich are Arosa/Lenzerheide, Davos and Laax.

Out of those three Arosa/Lenzerheide sounds like what you are looking for. The place tends to get a lot of hype, so maybe worth checking out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Moritz might also be an option. Good terrain. Enough to keep those who prefer piste skiing happy, and great off-piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Engelberg 3 times from Zurich Airport, which I like for various reasons - only 2 hours by train (maybe 1 hr 30 mins by car), often gets a good cold dump from Northerly weather systems, fantastic off-piste, great views (especially from the glacier), pretty village, fast and modern ski lifts, and I've always managed to find good value accommodation there.

They claim that skiing from the top of the Glacier (3000m) to the town (1000m) is one of the largest vertical descents on-piste in Europe, although it does require hopping onto a short chairlift (Trubsee-Hopper) which goes across a flat area. There's also a short section of unpisted black just below the glacier required for the full descent!

It's not a ski-in ski-out type of place. You might be able to find accommodation near the lifts, although I generally stay near the train station and use the shuttle buses to get to the lifts which are regular and only take 5 minutes.

It's a small resort and the pistes are quite limited (mostly reds) but could be a good option for a short break.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Generally train is just as easy as car in Switzerland, especially with the proliferating driving restrictions and speed limits. Pretty much every resort is reachable by train (sometimes only by train). Zürich airport train station is very convenient.

There are some smaller local places but some more well known spots might be, as already mentioned - Engleberg, though maybe better for off piste, Andermatt - the area over to Disentis means it is now attractive to piste skiers as well as those who would enjoy the Gemstock, Jungfrau area, Flims / Laax, Arosa / Lenzerheid. Not Switzerland but an easy drive (nearer than many Swiss places) would be the Montafon area in Vorarlberg and the Arlberg (St Anton possibly a bit more convenient than Lech/Zürs as the tunnel is potentially less weather affected than the Flexen pass)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Engelberg and/or Andermatt have great terrain, close to Zürich and get a lot of snow. With a car you could even do a couple of days in each for some variety…
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with suggestions above. From experience, road links are good to many resorts both within Switzerland an Western Austria. Engleberg is great for the length of stay you're talking about; we've usually tried to stay at hotels across the bridge and walk to the lift but with a car, I guess you could stay anywhere in town and drive to the lift.

From Zurich, both the Montafon (stay in Schruns or St Gallenkirch both as near to the lift as you can) and St Anton are doable and great options from direct experience; the drive to St Anton is very easy with excellent roads. There is a helpful website that covers the Austrian motorways for info and purchases https://www.asfinag.at/en/ and an equally helpful app from the same organisation https://apps.apple.com/us/app/unterwegs/id453459323 if that helps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all, some good things to be looking at there.

We hadn’t considered crossing into Austria - think we’re all a little wary of the varying covid requirements that come in to play with crossing between countries so we’re keeping it simple!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andermatt and Engelberg every time. Easy smooth drive from Zurich. Great off piste and plenty of good challenging stufd on piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone got accommodation suggestions for Andermatt?

Looking at there and Engelberg and whilst Engelberg sounds great for me OH, it looks a bit limited for piste stuff so our friends may feel a little constrained.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if youve hired a car from ZRH then you can afford heliskiing...

seriously though as said before, laax, arosa/lenzerheide and wengen
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've stayed in several places in Andermatt, and I'd be happy staying again at any of the places along Gotthardstrasse (which is generally best placed for lift access). Given the choice I'd probably go for the Schwarzen Baren or Crown as first choices, then after that the Aurora tends to be at the cheaper end, or you pay a bit more for the 3 Konige & Post. There are also ways to spend a ridiculous amount of money if so inclined.

Be aware with Andermatt that the better skiers will probably want to spend more time at Gemstock, and the intermediates on the slopes towards Disentis, so it won't be that easy to meet up during the day. If that's an issue, you may be better looing at Arosa/Lenzerheide, or Davos/Klosters
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swiss railways (SBB) used to have various ticket offers for transfers from airport to resort and back, some were not available to the public but were to hotels, tourops, etc.
If you are going to stay somewhere such as Arosa do you need to hire a car and have it there (possibly unused) for the duration? Would a train offer be better VFM (or just as important - easier)?
Once you've decided on your accommodation, ask them if they can offer a transfer ticket. They might even collect you from the station. There used to be welcome-luggage and fly-luggage - from check-in in the UK to resort station and back.
Compare cost and hassle factors and decide. . . .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Lodge Engelberg is a great place to stay, decent rooms, with good food and a great bar
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Lodge Engelberg is a great place to stay, decent rooms, with good food and a great bar
ski holidays
ski holidays
@Mistress Twerkle, River House Andermatt is perfect for 2 couples. Stylish place, nice bar for après, great restaurant.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g198795-d949802-Reviews-Boutique_Hotel_The_River_House-Andermatt_Canton_of_Uri_Swiss_Alps.html
snow conditions
@Mistress Twerkle, Have a look at Klosters, better than Davos for village and accommodation, shares the same ski area, which has extensive piste skiing as well as off piste easily sampled. IMHO Klosters is more suitable, ski wise, than either Andermatt or Engelberg, both more limited in terrain.
Montafon is much further and smaller skiing. St. Moritz will be quite expensive.
Klosters is about an 90 mins by car from Zurich, or less than two hours by train. The station in Klosters is right in the centre, with a lovely old hotel, the Chesa Grischuna very close by.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the recommendations Smile We ended up going to Flims (based on snow report at the time…), found a decent Air BnB a short walk from the slopes so all good.

Flying into Zurich and then getting a car worked well, and it’s definitely something I’ll be considering for future trips so will hopefully get to try out some of your recommendations in future Smile

Ms T.
snow conditions
@Mistress Twerkle, Good call - enjoy! snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy